Joe L

Multi Purpose Gold Detector

Being new to these forums, if this is not the place for this, please move. Due to excitement just wanted to sing out here.

I am adding a Gold detector to my arsenal..  I did research this for quite a bit and realized that gold detecting, nuggets anyway, would only be maybe 1%, well maybe less, use of the machine. It would also be used for general detecting and a unit for friends that want to give it a try (it’s a easy to use detector.) But, I do want a capable detector the will work for gold also. Reading Steve’s review and rating of this detector, I'm pulling the the lever.

For these reasons I have chosen a     Fisher Gold Bug Pro.

Thanks for listening.  Joe 

Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum.  The Fisher Gold Bug Pro will be slightly more sensitive to small gold than your T2+ and possibly not as sensitive as your Equinox 600.  You could just buy the smaller coil for your 600 unless you have the 6" coil for your Equinox already.

I'm not trying to put you off the GBP I have two of them 🙂 but I think it may not be the best choice for you seeing it's very close to what you have already.  There is just no point buying something so similar in performance.

Seeing you've already got the Equinox 600 maybe an Equinox 800 might be a good idea? You could even sell your 600 to help fund the 800.  The 800 is an absolute killer on small gold, right up there with the best VLF nugget machines if not the best and will be a drastic improvement over the Gold Bug Pro.

• Like 5

Your equinox 600 can be pressed in use as an effective gold prospecting machine.  While it does not have a dedicated gold prospecting mode, my understanding is that Park 1 can be used for gold prospecting, since in multifrequency i believe it runs up to 40khz frequency.  

Steve Herschbach should be able to comment on this more, since if I remember correctly he is the one that i learned it from on one of the equinox forum post he did.  

The other option would be to sell the equinox 600 and upgrade to the 800.  Which is pretty much the best multipurpose detector out there and can detect nuggets as small as what gold monster 1000 will.  

• Like 2

Hi Joe L,

I am pretty much with phrunt on your situation. I have an F19  (same as the Gold Bug Pro in all metal-prospecting mode) and an Equinox 800 and 600. Your Nox 600 in Park 2, Field 2 or either of the Beach modes will be just as good as a Gold Bug Pro in my opinion. I have the F19 with the 5" DD, 10 X 5" DD and the Detech Ultimate coils. They all will detect small gold down to the .2 gram size at about 3" in heavily mineralized dirt. It will detect deeper and smaller gold with less mineralization. The Nox 600 with just -9 to -7 discriminated out and a little threshold tone added, in Park 2 and Field 2 does just as well with the stock 11" coil. If you had the 6" coil you would have an outstanding small gold jewelry/occassional gold prospecting detector.

Jeff

• Like 3

Thanks all, yes I have heard about using the 600 and have a small nugget, very small gold round, and a small small bar,  that I tried with the 600. Granted it was just an air test, which I know most here including Steve think is not a good test and I agree. My T2 blew the 600 away in the air test.  I also like the idea of running the Fisher in a,  believe, true all metal mode. I know the 600 has an all metal but, don’t remember if it was a true all metal not just no dscrim.

Now I also agree that setting up the 600 with the right coil properly would work out well for some prospecting but, still like the idea of another multi use detector. I do live in  NYS and really gold is not the main goal, I think. My T2 will being going on the block soon being there, is not a lot use difference than the 600. So a small easy to use detector would be nice.

As for upgrading my 600 to an 800, maybe someday but, my Nox 600 is working SO WELL, I hate to take a chance.

oh well, will give it a try  and see where it takes me.  Thanks again, joe

If you really want to stick to Fisher maybe you try the Gold Bug 2? Far more sensitive than the Gold Bug Pro and a much higher frequency than you currently have, only problem is it's really for prospecting only.  Remember the frequency is the major factor in small gold detection.

My T2 with 5" coil is so similar in performance to my Gold Bug Pro on small gold that I wouldn't bother getting the other if I already had one.

Maybe switch your Equinox 600 into Field 2, Multi Frequency, as high on the sensitivity as you can go, lower the Recovery to 6 and set your Iron bias to 0 and make sure you set reject to nothing, you want every target showing as small gold can go well into the iron range.  Or press the horse shoe button and try your test again.  A small coil is key to VLF small gold detecting though, smaller the better.

It goes in reverse to coin detecting, small coil = more depth on small gold, rather than big coil equals more depth on a coin 🙂

• Like 1

You folks are starting to talk me out of it.  Maybe I should hold on to the T2 and grab a smaller coil for that or the 600.

• Like 1

I'd get the 6" coil for the Equinox. I'd hate to see you waste your money, at least you'd have the 6" already if you ever upgraded to the 800.

So you all figure there is no advantage with the Equinox 600 over the GB Pro when using a 6” coil?