Multi Purpose Gold Detector

Steve, or anyone a question...

“Note: the following works as well on both Equinox 600 and Equinox 800. Since Gold Mode lacks target tones, going to Field 2 and using the solutions above plus the additional possibility of tones is another alternative. Instead of using Gold Mode and blocking the lowest target id numbers they can be left open to signal as ferrous or mixed ferrous targets. And you now have 5, 10, and 15 kHz options that Gold Mode lacks. Be very careful because the default rejection pattern for Field 2 rejects target id 1 and 2. This will reject most small gold nugget readings and reduce signal strength on larger gold by blocking part of the signal. Field 2 set up properly is quite close to Gold Mode performance and a perfectly acceptable nugget detecting alternative.

Field Mode 2
Frequency: Multi
Ground Balance: Auto (Ground pump method)
Sensitivity: 18 - 23
Recovery Speed: 4 - 6 (default is 7)
Iron Bias: 0
Accept/Reject: Everything accepted, rely on tones (alternative reject -9, -8, and -7 if too much ground feedback)”

in the accept/reject,  if with the above settings, if you “horse shoe” it, or all metal, is everything accepted in Accept/Reject mode.

7 hours ago, Joe L said:

So you all figure there is no advantage with the Equinox 600 over the GB Pro when using a 6” coil?

Hi Joe L.

First, I am a gigantic fan of the F19, Teknetics G2+, Gold Bug Pro series of detectors. I love my F19. If I was taking one of my grown up kids to the Arizona gold fields tomorrow I would either hand them my F19 in all metal or my Makro Gold Kruzer just so I wouldn't have to baby sit them while they tried to use the Nox 600 or 800. That being said...........

In my opinion from experience you will have a definite advantage with the Nox 600 and a 6" coil in Park 2 or Field 2 setup the way we have suggested over the GBP. You will get all sorts of features and information from the Nox (just like when you are coin/jewelry detecting) while gold prospecting in Park 2 and Field 2 that you will not get from the Gold Bug Pro in All Metal like: multiple tones if you want them, iron tone volume level and pitch adjustments, discrimination for hot rocks if you need it, a numerical target ID, iron bias adjustments, recovery speed adjustments, noise cancelling, a stable threshold tone, threshold volume adjustment, the amazing horseshoe button (the process you have to go through to switch from all metal to discrimination on the GBP is cumbersome at best, on the Nox it is instantaneous,) I could go on but there is no point. The Gold Bug Pro in All Metal will not detect appreciably deeper on small gold than the Nox 600 set up correctly and using the great 6" coil.

As for your T2+, when equipped with a smaller DD coil, its all metal mode is just as good or better than the Gold Bug Pro for gold prospecting in my opinion. For many years the Tekneticics T2 was THE go to detector in the African gold fields, so much so that it has been mass produced by counterfeiters (and still is) for over a decade. The Gold Bug was pirated too but not like the T2.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff,, Excellent info, from all here, and yes, gonna hang on to what I have and go for the 6' coil.

I know the Equinox 600 is a great detector and I will never part with it, but I know, for right now, my T2 so much better that I am starting with the smaller coil for that and go from there,  I also know hitting a nugget in NY is like trying to win the lottery but, I will learn the coil and have fun doing it.  Then, Maybe convince the wife for a couple weeks, yearly I hope, vacation out west and give it a whirl.

Thanks again.  Joe

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

I went through a stage of wanting more and more detectors....

You wrote that in the past tense.  I don't believe it for a second!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3