How Simple A Detector You Want ?

I’m not so sure if I really have a opinion but maybe each here may . So please let me hear from you on this subject.

Thanks!

Chuck 

I look what’s pre-order like the Simplex and  another they call Vanquish is one soon to be .

With all the Simplex has to offer I’d never gave it that name .

Then we have another called the Vanquish and with a name like that we just don’t know if the name fits yet. The meaning that I like best is to defeat in a conflict are contest . I guess in time the unknown will be known.

I have the ORX and for me it’s been one of the simplest to use . More than the simplicity is the like of weight and I can even make it lighter by sticking the controller in my pocket.

I demand more in a detector than I did years back due to the fact it would have fell on deaf ears back when. Then I was one of a few but now one of many.

I thank you for coming along for the ride and the pleasure of detecting.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Hi Fred

I need to be more than a babbling brook but at this time with all the heat of every day over a 100 and lots of days at 105 the net is my out .

Chuck 

• Like 2

I have the ORX also, while you may consider it simple to use, what is not simple about it is the target ID. It's a bit weird at first and takes some getting used to. No depth meter is another place they dropped the ball on that one I think. HOWEVER it is lightweight and the wireless nature of it makes it a really comfortable unit to use. It's a good detector.

Simple for me in a detector is 1)Doesn't have so many settings you never can tweak them to get the most out of the unit because little to no documentation exists from the manufacturer or the little info they do give makes no sense or doesn't work as they say it should. 2) Batteries we can replace if we have to without sending the dang thing in for service. That is a major pain. 3) Buttons that work as they should, not taking a lot of pressure and that respond as expected in use. 4) Coils and covers that actually function in a manner promised. Don't tell us it is waterproof one on page, we take it out and call service to hear "oh yeah you should not submerge it more than 3 inches".

In reality a simple detector should be just that-simple. The easiest way to do that is be honest about what it can do from the beginning. Stop marketing products as something they are not. Don't act like your new detector is going to beat out your other model and detect a dime down to 3 feet. The biggest frustration in metal detecting is the marketing garbage and major padding of a detector's capability. Cut that mess out and just start stating facts. Do actual field tests, plant stuff if you have to but TELL US you planted it and what the detector can do. So what if it can't detect past 6 inches, but hey if you can find a way to tighten up the ID you might have something worth selling and that MANY people would buy.

• Like 1

I don't really care if it is simple or not. I just want it to give me accurate, consistent, understandable information that I can easily interpret about what is under the coil and roughly how big it is and how deep it is. If it takes me a few minutes to set it up or it is roughly turn on, ground balance and go, I don't care as long as I can really trust it. I have a detector that costs less than $200 new that does that better in my soil conditions than many detectors that cost over $500. And then there is the Nox :biggrin: !!!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Steve

If we were running a contest you said it best in less words than anyone.

I truly think that’s all any of us want in a detector.

Chuck 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

One with an on/off button that only finds good stuff would suit me :smile:

That's the way to go, just an on/off button can't be simpler. 

Or a robotic gold detector like on of those robotic vacuum cleaners. Have the robo detector snlff up the gold, while sitting in a chair sipping a cold beer!

I bought a Excalibur a couple years ago and I hardly have used it. I find it very simple and easy to use...no screen to look at lol..I'm able to kinda know when a target is a bottle cap which I detest...No ground balance.. the only knob to adjust is the pinpoint (all metal) once in a while. I'm still kinda to this hobby so I've only had experiences with a few detectors...cant imagine the stuff you guys have seen/used. 

strick