Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Why Do Bottle Caps Sound Scratchy?

I've been wondering for a while why bottle caps tend to have the scratchy sound. I can't seem to find an answer on google either. Is it because of the rivets in the sides of the cap or ferrous material inside the cap?

• Like 1

The iron in the metal and the jagged edge. 

• Like 1

Most modern bottle crown caps (not the screw on caps) are made of zinc or tin coated steel. What the composition of the steel is I don't know as far as alloys. Then there are the ones that have aluminum foil coatings and of course the ones that have corroded and rusted. So, lots of different surfaces exposed to the Nox multi frequencies and who knows how many different metals mixed together and oxidizing that react differently to the Nox. Coronas drive me crazy since they rarely give much of a ferrous response in my mineralized area. 

If you are able to get bottle caps to sound scratchy on your Nox consistently you are lucky and maybe you can use that characteristic sound as a "tell" for caps in your area.

Jeff

• Like 3

Bottle caps are not at all uniform in their alloy structure.  Different companies use different metal mixtures so to speak.  Your detector is trying to analyze the metal object beneath the coil and sees a somewhat complex compound so it reports back what it's seeing.  Also, the shape and state of preservation affects the signal.  A crushed, rusty cap will give off a different signal than a pristine one of the same type.

It's not that the detector is at fault in my view, its a precision machine that's trying its best to analyze the impure metal it sees. 

At least this is what I've discovered on our beaches....other views of the battlefield could very well differ.

• Like 1

Here’s what I posted on Dankowski a while ago...

I have puzzled over this question for a while - what are these “steel” caps made of. After wasting an hour on the web I have concluded that it is likely that they are “Tin Free Steel” or TFS. This differs from “tin Plate Steel” or TPS by the use of metallic chromium instead of tin in the laminate. TPS is what most cans were made of - TFS is used because of its superior anti corrosion qualities and its suitability for painting or other decorative exterior finishes. 

Tin Free Steel 

Features 

TFS has excellent lacquer adhesion properties allowing use for food cans, beverage cans and general line cans. 
Excellent resistance to black sulfide stain makes it the most suitable material for making fish cans. 
Even when the same surface finish as TIN PLATE is applied to the substrate steel sheet, 
it provides the unique surface luster characteristic of metallic chromium. 

2C31FAAE-58FB-4FF8-85C6-C879FE1AB99C.jpeg

• Like 5

Rick illustrated the facts much better than my view from 50,000 ft.

Good job Rick  👍

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 2Valen
      The other day GB-Amateur said something that caught my interest about EMI problems with the 800.
      So I could not help myself on trying to figure out why. I first rolled back to my original software 1.75 and went outside to look in my yard like i normally would.
      Every time I had gotten within 50 feet of the power lines the unit would give false ID's of what was on the ground, and it just got worse from there.
      I went further away from the lines and it would clear up until I got near the front of my home where my wifi router is located. When I looked at the display the display numbers were bouncing once again.
      When I went to the back yard away from everything the 800 was as always working like it should and I even found a 1951 quarter.
      I went back into the house to do the upgrade once again and retraced my steps with the new update.
      I had no problems under the power lines no mater how close I got to them, I did find some really good targets that I will go back and dig up when it gets warmer.
      I went to the front of my house and once again the 800 worked as it should without any interference at all. That is until I walked up to the front porch window and then I had a little bit of bouncing numbers.
      I believe that the new update has solved most if not all of the EMI problems that I have had in the past, which is a good thing for me.
      Under the power lines is where the used to tie up the horse carriages at the original church and that is where I have found some coins from the 1800's. Now with this new update I feel more confident that I will be able to find some really nice items there, and in my front yard.
      Thanks for reading and tell me what you think about your update and EMI problems since the update.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      From Link deleted since Findmall update broke old links
      “We will be offering a few different shaft options for the Equinox including the 36" carbon fiber regular shaft with lower rod, a one piece carbon fiber shallow water scuba shaft, and Zero Flex fiberglass shafts in custom Anderson colors”
      http://andersondetectorshafts.com/

• By calabash digger
      Here it is the long awaited I D test....

• By Steve Herschbach
      To be announced mid-September.....
      Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links
      http://md-hunter.com/minelab-announces-sensation-new-2017/
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,129405,129412
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,130332
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,130667
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,130692

From https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/news?article=315332
      "We are very excited to announce that our newest metal detector will be unveiled at Detectival UK Rally on Sep 16th, 2017. Detectival will be held from the 15th to the 17th of September on 1,000 acres of undetected land close to the medieval market towns of Burford and Charlbury, approximately two hours outside of London. 
      This event, proudly sponsored by Minelab, will also be a great opportunity to learn more about our new technology, meet with Minelab staff for product demonstations and participate in token hunts with other metal detecting enthusiasts from across the globe! Best of all, all proceeds from the event raffle will be given to two charities: Asthma UK and the Lullaby Trust."

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Paul is a very experienced detectorist.
      He is one of the nicest gent's I have have ever chatted with online.
      I have never met him personally.
      I actually have a piece of his equipment he has loaned me to try out.
      What an amazing find with Nox.
      Congrats Paul.
      Couldn't happen to nicer guy.
    • By Tnsharpshooter