On Thursday I went to search for more coins in a local park and in just 15 minutes I came across this Indian Head penny.

I would like to know the best way to clean this coin so I may have it placed in a frame and hang it on a wall.

This is the oldest coin that I have found to date, and it even beat out a 1924 dime that I found within 15 feet of where I found this penny.

It had a lot of mud on it when I dug it up so I ran some water on it and found the date.

This penny was wedged between 2 roots standing on edge and about 8 inches down. I had a ID number of 19 in one direction and a 20 in another direction so I decided to dig it up.

I used the settings that another member showed me a week earlier when we met in Casey, IL. and I am sorry for not knowing the settings off the top of my head to put them in here.

Please if someone knows a way to clean this up I would greatly appreciate your knowledge.

I guess I am starting to get the hang of this Equinox 800 and I can only hope that this is just the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship of metal detecting.

Valen

1903 indian head back.jpg

1903 indian head.jpg

• Like 3

That is a really beautiful find. Personally, I like the green oxidized copper patina. 

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies! If I have the energy and am not too sore, I dig every coin sized signal in that number range hoping for 14k to 24k gold rings/jewelry or like you, a nice Indian Head penny or a $5 or $10 US gold coin!

well done!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

You can try using a pink eraser on it but your Indian is already about as good as its ever going to get.  I like them green myself.  Nice find!

Bryan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies!

No, Jeff, you got it right the first time.  It is thousands.  😢

Add another vote for the green patina.  My IH's usually have scale which is much more detracting but so far I haven't figured out a good way to get that off.  ('Good way' means still maintaining a natural color and no scratches!)  Another project for the upcoming winter.

Nice find, Valen, and thanks for the pic!

• Like 1

If you really want to clean it, get a small glass container with a lid (something like a baby food jar) and soak it in mineral oil (available at any drug store). Do not rub the coin. Gently swirl the oil every two or three weeks and change when it gets cloudy. Plan on soaking it for at least 8 weeks. I have some coins I have soaked for 6 months. This stops any further deterioration and leave a nice patina on pennies. 

• Like 1

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

• Like 1

That's older than anything with a date I've found. Looks like progress!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

I don’t believe soaking in mineral oil will decrease the value IF you do not rub it or otherwise do anything to scratch or mar it in any way. In my experience since 1987, mineral oil does not change the color of any coin. I rarely sell my finds so if I’m wrong please feel free to correct me. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 2Valen
      Today I finally had a chance to get out of the house for some much needed detecting. I decided to go to an old church just down the road that has been around since 1859.
      Seems that nobody has been there before as I found almost $3.78 in new coins. I had dug almost a pound of trash before finding anything before 1975.
      I then tried closer to the foundation where there was a ton of roofing nails and then I had a solid 34 tone that was down deep. I'm not talking 6 inches but it was almost 11 inches down when I found it.
      There at the bottom of the hole was a beautiful silver quarter, not just any quarter but a 1926 and it looks just fine to me even with the wear on it.
      After going a little further down the wall and another hundred nails, I found a very nice Indian Head penny in great condition. This IH is in better shape than the 1889 that I had found in my back yard several months ago and is the older brother of it as it is a 1877.
      For the 2 and a half hours I was out there I think that I had done enough for the day as I was getting to cold because of the wind.
      I hope you enjoy the picture of my new coins for my collection.
    • By dogodog
      I just got back from a short 2 hour hunt on a 1830's property and found the usual clad, pull tabs, brass and a wheel weight. BUT I found an odd dime sized  silver coin. It looks like its dated 1885  all inscriptions are unreadable except the date. It has a roman numeral three with a wreath around it and a woman with some kind of armor head plate. This is a coin I've never found before, Any clue???

• By Cal_Cobra
      Saying I had an epic weekend would be an understatement! I loaded the latest Equinox firmware update to try the new FE2/0 iron program, and it did not disappoint!

I've posted about trip reports from this site several times over the years. It's always been a fun site IMO, you just never know what you'll dig, and it dates back to the early 1800's with history into the 20th century. It saw it's share of the Spanish, Mexicans, Emigrants, and Americans. It's getting difficult, lots of flat iron still left, but good finds have been thinning out, easy finds have been gone for years. TomCA won't even hunt there any more.

This trip turned out to be absolutely EPIC! Unbelievable really, because there have been trips where neither Tom nor I have dug a single coin at this site, so to dig five period coins in one trip was astounding.

Now if these were just five common 1800's coins, I would've left there an extremely happy camper, but two out of the five turned out to be astounding finds!

An 1865-S Seated Liberty Dime AND a 1856-S INDIAN PRINCESS $1 GOLD PIECE!!! I am absolutely over the moon from this hunt!

I got all the coins on video, if you have a chance, take a look:

Without further ado:

Right after she was dug and I just ran some bottled water over her in the field:

Thanks for looking!!

GL&HH,
      Cal <<<<<<<< THE ORIGINAL CAL
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Back from my MX Trip and wanting to get caught up with some readings and now posts.
      Approx 20 yrs ago I was detecting an old mining camp for coins/relics & found my 1st gold coin ever (only took 25 yrs of detecting). 1852 quarter eagle = $2.50 piece.
      Fast forward to last weekend, my customer Steve M is less than a mile from where my coin was found & he does this. What's even more thrilling, is he found it with a GPX-5000 while looking for gold nuggets.   And...his is much better condition too.  1st two pics are his and the others of the worn out one, of course is mine.  It is the exact same date and size of coin I found 20 yrs ago.  I guess it is sometimes ok to find the wrong kind of gold.  Anyone else have such unexpected digs when prospecting?

• By kac
      Finally got out to the beach, lot of wash but wanted to give my seahunter a run and try out the m2 headphones instead of the stock waterproof ones. M2's make a world of difference in the audio on that machine, can hear the target much better especially tiny targets with the discrim kicked up. Dug much less iron as I can tell better what I am hearing. Anyways not much there as the storms ripped the dunes down and the banks are 9-12' up where they used to be only a few feet. Besides the wash I got all excited and thought I found another trime but instead it was a 1951 netherlands 10 cent. Amazing how it held up next to the other coins I found in the area.

• By Coilpower
      Coins, bits, fishing sinkers and half a ring from beach last week in NZ. We have new 10, 20 and 50 cent cupro nickle coins which just degrade and rust in the sea salt or even the soil. The bad ones I just put between a cloth and a few whacks with a hammer to get the crud off, either rotary tumble with malt vinegar and salt or if Im feeling vicious.....into a container of CLR (calcium, lime and rust remover), then a container of water, finaly container of baking soda and water. Banks here will only accept coins that are recognizable.....no matter the colour, as in rotary tumbling I plonk the 10c cupro copper with "silver" 20 and 50's and they all come out a pretty pink! Only advantage of cupro nickle is they are magnetic.......using a 120kg pull neodymium is interesting fun !!!!!! However, what the photo does say is they were deep and bèen in the sand a long time.....and that is from a beach which is constantly detected by others.