Help In Cleaning A Coin

2Valen

On Thursday I went to search for more coins in a local park and in just 15 minutes I came across this Indian Head penny.

I would like to know the best way to clean this coin so I may have it placed in a frame and hang it on a wall.

This is the oldest coin that I have found to date, and it even beat out a 1924 dime that I found within 15 feet of where I found this penny.

It had a lot of mud on it when I dug it up so I ran some water on it and found the date.

This penny was wedged between 2 roots standing on edge and about 8 inches down. I had a ID number of 19 in one direction and a 20 in another direction so I decided to dig it up.

I used the settings that another member showed me a week earlier when we met in Casey, IL. and I am sorry for not knowing the settings off the top of my head to put them in here.

Please if someone knows a way to clean this up I would greatly appreciate your knowledge.

I guess I am starting to get the hang of this Equinox 800 and I can only hope that this is just the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship of metal detecting.

Valen

1903 indian head back.jpg

1903 indian head.jpg

• Like 3

That is a really beautiful find. Personally, I like the green oxidized copper patina. 

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies! If I have the energy and am not too sore, I dig every coin sized signal in that number range hoping for 14k to 24k gold rings/jewelry or like you, a nice Indian Head penny or a $5 or $10 US gold coin!

well done!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

You can try using a pink eraser on it but your Indian is already about as good as its ever going to get.  I like them green myself.  Nice find!

Bryan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies!

No, Jeff, you got it right the first time.  It is thousands.  😢

Add another vote for the green patina.  My IH's usually have scale which is much more detracting but so far I haven't figured out a good way to get that off.  ('Good way' means still maintaining a natural color and no scratches!)  Another project for the upcoming winter.

Nice find, Valen, and thanks for the pic!

• Like 1

If you really want to clean it, get a small glass container with a lid (something like a baby food jar) and soak it in mineral oil (available at any drug store). Do not rub the coin. Gently swirl the oil every two or three weeks and change when it gets cloudy. Plan on soaking it for at least 8 weeks. I have some coins I have soaked for 6 months. This stops any further deterioration and leave a nice patina on pennies. 

• Like 1

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

• Like 1

That's older than anything with a date I've found. Looks like progress!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

I don’t believe soaking in mineral oil will decrease the value IF you do not rub it or otherwise do anything to scratch or mar it in any way. In my experience since 1987, mineral oil does not change the color of any coin. I rarely sell my finds so if I’m wrong please feel free to correct me. 

• Like 1