On Thursday I went to search for more coins in a local park and in just 15 minutes I came across this Indian Head penny.

I would like to know the best way to clean this coin so I may have it placed in a frame and hang it on a wall.

This is the oldest coin that I have found to date, and it even beat out a 1924 dime that I found within 15 feet of where I found this penny.

It had a lot of mud on it when I dug it up so I ran some water on it and found the date.

This penny was wedged between 2 roots standing on edge and about 8 inches down. I had a ID number of 19 in one direction and a 20 in another direction so I decided to dig it up.

I used the settings that another member showed me a week earlier when we met in Casey, IL. and I am sorry for not knowing the settings off the top of my head to put them in here.

Please if someone knows a way to clean this up I would greatly appreciate your knowledge.

I guess I am starting to get the hang of this Equinox 800 and I can only hope that this is just the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship of metal detecting.

Valen

1903 indian head back.jpg

1903 indian head.jpg

• Like 3

That is a really beautiful find. Personally, I like the green oxidized copper patina. 

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies! If I have the energy and am not too sore, I dig every coin sized signal in that number range hoping for 14k to 24k gold rings/jewelry or like you, a nice Indian Head penny or a $5 or $10 US gold coin!

well done!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

You can try using a pink eraser on it but your Indian is already about as good as its ever going to get.  I like them green myself.  Nice find!

Bryan

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Some of my most interesting coin and valuable jewelry finds have been in the 18 to 22 range which of course includes hundreds (seems like thousands) of uninteresting, badly corroded zinc pennies!

No, Jeff, you got it right the first time.  It is thousands.  😢

Add another vote for the green patina.  My IH's usually have scale which is much more detracting but so far I haven't figured out a good way to get that off.  ('Good way' means still maintaining a natural color and no scratches!)  Another project for the upcoming winter.

Nice find, Valen, and thanks for the pic!

• Like 1

If you really want to clean it, get a small glass container with a lid (something like a baby food jar) and soak it in mineral oil (available at any drug store). Do not rub the coin. Gently swirl the oil every two or three weeks and change when it gets cloudy. Plan on soaking it for at least 8 weeks. I have some coins I have soaked for 6 months. This stops any further deterioration and leave a nice patina on pennies. 

• Like 1

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

• Like 1

That's older than anything with a date I've found. Looks like progress!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

If you clean it ....it will show badly as be worthless except to complete a set maybe.   Most collectors would give you more as is.   If you clean it wrong it could turn fakish red and almost brittle looking.   Leave as is and put a touch of mineral OIL on it.  Which is a goo preserver on any copper.

I don’t believe soaking in mineral oil will decrease the value IF you do not rub it or otherwise do anything to scratch or mar it in any way. In my experience since 1987, mineral oil does not change the color of any coin. I rarely sell my finds so if I’m wrong please feel free to correct me. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Tometusns
      Well the title says it all. I was detecting at an old town that is mostly gone. We got the permission from a really nice older couple that gave us plenty of info about the town and it's history. They cut hay off an area that used to have houses on it so off we went. Only found two coins but both were old. The first was the what is that coin and the second a shield nickel. 
      I had dug an old barrel spigot on my first pass and wasn't really finding much at all. Then about the third trip across I hit some really big numbers that sounded good. I was thinking perhaps another spigot or relic of some type. I popped out the plug and could see the side of what I thought could be maybe a silver dollar! I pulled it out of the plug and wiped off some dirt and thought what is that..lol I was pretty sure it was silver and an 1829 Mexican coin but other than that...clueless. My detecting buddy looked at it and told me I had found a Mexican 8 reales. I thought it was cool before being the oldest coin I had found but after realizing what I had found I got reales happy!! 😁
      I was told they were used as American currency until 1857 which made it even more special to me. Ya just never know. Oh, Equinox still pk1 ib3 recovery7.  
      HH! Tom

• By The Georgiadigger
      I sure do!!! I'm probably spelling his name wrong but, Great Britain's Jim Fiveash built custom detector's that was among the first to successfully hunt in the coke, coal, & iron debris of the Thames River shoreline. His last three improved versions of The Red Heat XD 17s. Were sent to America. For myself & two friends. Jim was a brilliant mind, that was dying of cancer while completing our machines. It took Jim a long time to complete our three custom built detectors, they were improved version of his legendary XD-17. Jim died shortly after we received our machines. He never even got a full report of there amazing performance! These machines were way ahead of there time, with great depth, separation, lightening fast retune speed & telescoping rod deployment. I foolishly sold my Red Heat 17+ not truly considering the brilliant cutting edge technology, workmanship & shear artwork that Jim had poured his final days into. Making these machines for 3 American fans of his work. Somewhere in America, there is 3 very extra special Red Heat Detector's!!! I hope they're in good hands & still detecting relics!!! I don't even have a picture of them. RIP Jim!!!
    • By DB1000
      I have 3 batches like this. I just listed one on CL for 175.00. Almost all iron items with some brass, ceramic etc. Priced too low? Too high? Going to be getting rid of all my old finds soon. Any ideas, opinions are good to hear. Thanks.

• By kac
      Took my Gold Racer out for just over an hour to an area I had picked up the barber earlier this year. There is a lot of brush and the GR solid coil works well for poking around. Along the shore of the lake I noticed a stretch of bog iron, the lake bottom is usually a light gray. Ran my coil over the area and hit some coin sized objects but numbers bit low which I expect and just under the bog iron was these coins, 1883 IH, trashed IH and an 1873 seated dime. The pond is pretty hard pack gravel so old stuff isn't that deep. Oddly that stupid sinker was about 6" down in the rocks below and tough to dig out and find.
      Will hit this side of the lake in the spring when it thaws.

• By Wendell Clark
      I have been trying to locate a school house site in a small farming settlement that was abandoned by the late 1920's. The settlement had a few houses scattered about, a rail stop/ post office and a 1 room rural school house. Everything was razed years ago. Yesterday I located a privy hole that was cased with an iron pipe so I figured that must be the area. Meager finds that are par for the course here where I live with the exception of the Chinese coin. It is the first I have found, so I was pretty happy with that. 

• By kac
      Was waiting for a buddy to show up so I hit a small area across from where I parked. Usual tons of trash being so close to the road and first real hit I had I pulled the poor beat up Merc Dime 193?. Not a bad way to start the year off, hope it wasn't the hightlight hahah.
      Happy new year!