The Excalibur will almost never identify ferrous as non-ferrous, but the extreme bias against ferrous comes at a cost. It will null over ferrous and since it is a slow machine masking is its main Achilles heel. That is not to say you can’t hunt ferrous with it and make good finds. The key is to hunt with Disc 1 very slow and from multiple directions. The Excalibur is basically a Minelab Sovereign in an underwater box so tips for the Sov generally apply to the Excalibur also.

Excalibur Relic Hunting Tips

• Like 2

I have an excalibur 2 with the small 8" coil... I bought it  for hunting a couple of specific fresh water Heavy Black Sand beaches that are LOADED with bottle caps. I had been hunting these beaches with my CTX in Disc modes to notch out the Beer caps...sometimes 2 per scoop.. .It seems to go deeper then the CTX in the black sand and what I can say with my  limited experience backs up what Steve recommends...go slow..and dig everything that beeps both ways...it's great for discing out iron as I hardly ever dig ferrous with it...I'll occasionally did a bottle cap but nothing like when I'm using me Nox 800...I'm finding that it is a good compromise between the CTX and the Nox...with the CTX I'm digging fewer targets due to it's great Disc capabilities...with the Nox I'm digging lots of bottle caps and deeper targets then with the CTX... Hope some of this makes sense? It's a good machine you just got to learn the language as you do with any other machine. I posted some recent finds in the Jewelry section the other day. Good luck!

strick

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, calabash digger said:

How to run in iron loaded water sites?

First of all, in these situations I'd be using a lower manual sensitivity. 

Second of all, if you have the 8" coil, even better, but the 10" is still fine. 

Thirdly, listen to what happens to the threshold tone AFTER you go past the target. If you get a high tone signal then the threshold drops to a low growl, it is very likely iron. If you get a null or a squeak or a grunt and the threshold goes to a high tone, then there's likely a good target amongst the clutter. 

Work real slow, and check targets at 90 degrees. If in doubt, scrape 2 inches of sand and re-check. 

While the recovery speed may seem slow compared to modern machines, the Excal and Sov can still separate real well IMHO! 

Last tip - don't ignore the one way signals. If you get the trailing high tone threshold, I'd be checking it out. Dug many odd shaped bits of jewellery that gave a one way, that you'd swear were deep iron.  

• Like 2