Hi Guys,

How many detector brands have Mixed Mode.  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, pinpointa said:

Hi Guys,

How many detector brands have Mixed Mode.  Thanks in advance.

If by mixed mode you mean true all metal audio simultaneously combined with discriminated audio and/or visual ID,  probably about 5 or 6 brands have mixed mode models.  In other words most of the Top brands have at least one VLF mixed mode detector.  Whites probably has the most models with it (including the V3i, MXT, abd DFX), Garrett has at least one (AT Gold), First Texas (Fisher F75 and Teknetics(see below)), and Nautilus.  That includes brands that have audio mixed mode and those that have all metal audio and discriminated vdi.  If you want to know more than just how many brands have it and a more detailed breakdown by Steve then read this article.  Things haven't changed much since Steve wrote that article, but some additional detectors not mentioned in that article that have True and Pseudo mixed mode include the Teknetics T2 (similar to the F75), Teknetics Omega 8500, XP Deus (Gold Field mode), and Minelab Equinox Gold Mode with Disc off (the last two are debatable, I suppose).  Not sure about Nokta/Makro, but they likely have it in their latest models.

• Like 3

....Count RUTUS detectors and AKA detectors that also work in MIX MODE with these detectors,,,

• Like 2

Tarsacci MDT 8000 has mixed mode.

• Like 2

Whites MX Sport and MX7 have Relic mode which is a mixed mode.

Jeff

• Like 1

The typical definition of Mixed Mode is All Metal audio and Disc mode audio working simultaneously.   

I don't think of All Metal with TID as being mixed mode, although I guess you could call it that.   I don't define it that way though and most other folks wound't either when they hear the term, Mixed Mode.

The only ones I'm personally familiar with are Whites (DFX, V3, V3i) and Rutus (Alter71)

I like chasing the bumble bee.  :wacko:

HH
Mike

AT Max has mixed mode also.

9 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

The typical definition of Mixed Mode is All Metal audio and Disc mode audio working simultaneously.   

I don't think of All Metal with TID as being mixed mode, although I guess you could call it that.   I don't define it that way though and most other folks wound't either when they hear the term, Mixed Mode.

The only ones I'm personally familiar with are Whites (DFX, V3, V3i) and Rutus (Alter71)

I like chasing the bumble bee.  :wacko:

HH
Mike

Understood.  It is addressed as an alternative implementation in Steve’s article on the subject of mixed mode, which I linked to so I covered it that way in my response for completeness.  Understand there are varied opinions as to whether or not some  consider that implementation mixed mode.  I think all that matters to those who care about the feature is to simply understand whether it is implemented solely in audio (the more “typical” or traditional sense) or as AM mixed with discriminated visual TID and choose the detector that has implementation that works best for them.

I like running mixed mode with 3 frequency Correlate on my V3.   I get to hear everything in the ground in the all metal channel but only hear the targets that correlate in the Disc mode.  

Another way I like Mixed mode is to reject the targets I'm after so that that they are only reported by the all metal channel.....reverse mixed mode is how its referred to I think.   

Mixed mode is very handy sometimes.   I wish more models offered it.   Sure you can hunt in the AM mode of the F75 but you have to watch the screen.   With an audio mixed mode you do it all by ear.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By garikfox
      These discontinued Minelab products are really cool to look at and read about. I was amazed.
      The Golden Hawk looked cool! Wonder what the Klondike looked like.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/support/knowledge-base/discontinued-products
    • By Ridge Runner
      If what we see of the face of the Vanquish is true with eighteen notch points then it’s bundled.
       This happens in lower end detectors but not totally true being it came in higher cost detector too  My Sport  wasn’t cheap but it too has the problem of having notch bundle .
       I have the ORX and to cut out anything I start at the bottom and work my way up . Like others I can’t pick what I want delete what I don’t want.
       The only one that we all know that will let you notch out what you don’t want and leave the others is the Nox .
       This is the main reason I don’t like my Sport is because of that. Don’t get me wrong I’d like it to run in more than one frequency but I knew that ahead of my purchase.
        I guess you couldn’t make me happy if you would hang me with a new rope. 
      Just thinking out loud again! So why don’t you do the same here.
       Chuck 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Check this beauty out. Five km range and depths of up to 75 meters. And only $2500! 

• By Andyy
      Just thought... it would be interesting if the technology ever came about where you could run one detector as either a VLF or a PI (orZVT).  What machines would you combine?
      I would go GPZ and Equinox
    • By GB_Amateur
      I started this project 2 or 3 years ago (so long I can't remember).  Spurred on by recent field experiences and also a recent thread on Equinox settings I've finally finished it. I don't know if it's a completely new idea.  I call it a 'test-stand' as opposed to 'test garden' just to distinguish it from the standard test gardens many of you either already have or at least are familiar with.  There are other similar variable depth test gardens out there (seen on YouTube).  This one has the advantage of continuous depth capability.  It also allows 3-d target orientation angle (similar to pitch, roll, yaw of airplane).  It's based upon the 30-60-90 triangle (remember that from geometry/trigonometry class in high school?):

Here is a sketch which shows how to implement this concept:

Shown in the sketch, buried at an angle, is a PVC pipe.  A test target can be slid into the pipe a distance 2*d which will result in it being located at depth d.  I used two sections of pipe (ID = 1.57 in., OD = 1.90 in.), side-by-side to allow me to put neighboring targets in the ground with some option of how close the two targets are separated.  Think of this as burying a double barrel (side-by-side) shotgun with the stock end deep in the ground.  All you see are the ends of the two barrels.  The concrete (bag of Kwicrete) locks the pipes in place.  Here's a closeup of those extruding barrels:

Besides the tape measure (units of inches) you also see a hand-graded scale at left which I'll explain shortly.  Here is an overall view:

The two PVC caps, attached together, are for keeping water, dirt, and varmints out of the pipes when not in use.  You'll notice a 1.5 in. diameter wooden dowel rod inserted into one of the pipes. More detail on that shortly, but the target is inserted into the dowel near its end and then the dowel is slid into the pipe.  Holes for locating pins (you can see one of those -- gray plastic -- inserted to register the intended depth) are 1 inch apart leading to a depth resolution of 1/2 inch.  (Again, refer to the 30-60-90 diagram to understand the relationship between insertion length and actual depth into the ground -- a 2::1 ratio.)
      Next I show the business end of the dowel rod:

The black foam fills the chamber and holds the target (in this case a silver dime) in place.  The hole in the dowel is actually lined with a plastic film canister (remember those from 35 mm film days?) which has been modified to conform to the circular cross-section of the dowel and thus be able to fit into the pipe.  The second slightly smaller) large hole was put in there originally for a second target but so far I haven't used it -- likely of limited value.  You can see the registration holes.  The first one has a red '2'  (difficult to see) just above it; the next (representing 2.5" depth) isn't labeled; the third one has a '3'; etc.  These represent the resultant depth of the target when a registration pin is put in that hole and then the rod slid into the pipe until the registration pin keeps the dowel from going deeper.
      Although the chamber packing material can be made up of many materials, I chose ethafoam (polyethylene foam) high quality packing material.  You typically find this in higher end electronics packaging such as with desktop computers.  More commonly it is white but in this case I used black.  I initially cut plugs with hole saw (see next photo) and then trim with a pocket knife as needed to fit the pipe:

Ok, so now you're still wondering what that specially graded (homemade 'yardstick') is for.  Again, referring back to the 30-60-90 triangle drawing, the 3rd side of the triangle is also related to the depth.  It is squareroot of 3 times the depth.  (Squareroot of 3 = 1.73.)  That yardstick will indicate how far downrange (along the ground surface) that the target is located.  This helps when you get an iffy response on your detector and want to confirm or deny that the surface location of the target is consistent with its depth.  The units written on the scale are associated with the depth of the target.  You can see from the sketch above that the max depth is 15".  The largest common US coin that will fit the chamber (with some force...) is a half dollar.
      I didn't keep track of the cost but it's probably $30 or so, mostly for the PVC pipe and caps and the dowel rods plus a bag of Sacrete.  (I'm counting labor as free.  😁)
      OK, now that I (finally!) finished this test-stand it's time to get busy making measurements.  I'll be posting those here on the forum as they become available.

• By garikfox
      Anyone remember the old Popular Science ads?
      I thought this was a good classic to share. Even though this ad pre-dates me by 6yrs, it puts a smile to my face :)