Distance Between Other Detectorists

Tugboat

Hi People when you see other detectorists, how much distance should one give each other?  and 2nd question is, i have the minelab 15 pinpointer  but it really struggles unless its all most on the target, it was a free pinpointer that came with the 600. Do i buy the minelab 35 or another brand? thanks

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

when you see other detectorists, how much distance should one give each other?

I guess there are two ways of answering this first question: 

1) How far away do you need to be to avoid cross-communication between detectors?  Answer:  you'll know it when from how your detector reacts -- is it picking up EMI?  Many detectors have frequency shifting (allowing small incremental changes to operating frequency) to alleviate this issue.  Otherwise just move apart until the noise stops.

2) How far away should you be to not be a distraction to each other?  This one is unquantifiable and clearly depends upon the individuals.  When I go out with my sister I usually just head off one direction and she goes another and after awhile I'm looking around to call her over and I can't even find her.  😁

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

i have the minelab 15 pinpointer  but it really struggles unless its all most on the target, it was a free pinpointer that came with the 600. Do i buy the minelab 35 or another brand?

Unfortunately it seems the online reviews (any reviews) of pinpointers is much sparser than standard detector reviews.  I would search google with keywords "minelab" "pinpointer" "detectorprospector.com" and find some discussion of that particular model vs. its company brethren.  That will hopefully get you the experiences of others on the relative merits.  You can leave off this site in your search which should get other sites' discussions as well, but I would start here.

Bottom line is that there are many decent pinpointers, many with different characteristics and none perfect.  I like my White's TRX better than my Garrett Carrot (Propointer AT) in general, but in some cases the Carrot is preferable.  And that's just two of the many models out there.  If I could afford it I'd own one of each, but then I probably wouldn't have time to test them properly and that without eating into my limited detecting time.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on the situation. I personally give as much distance as possible. When searching with a friend , we will often go in opposite directions or take opposite sides of the field.  The whites trx is my favorite pinpointer

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Pro-Find 35 and love it!

Depending on the object, it will start going off when it's several inches away on max sensitivity. Then as I get closer to the object, I reduce the sensitivity until I can narrow in on the precise location of treasure (usually trash).

I'm on my 2nd Profind 35, I can rarely run it at max and it often just falses out if i change the angle on it. When I first put it on I need to keep it close to the ground about 2" facing downward for 2 sec or so to calibrate. I can only run it at half sensitivity.

Even at half sensitivity it does have a good range to it though. It is possible your Profind 15 might be faulty and if under warranty submit for an RMA. I need to do the same.

Been tempted to just leave it in the next hole I dig and get a Garret or maybe Fisher.

The pinpointer problem seems to be across the board.  I have had the same problems with the 35 as well as the old 25.  I think it picks up the detector you are using even though it is 5 or so feet away.   I always have to screw around with it a little bit while I’m searching for a target.   Reduce sensitivity and then bring it back up or sometimes just turn it off and on. I have heard that other pinpointers have similar problems but I’ve never really researched into it. 

After I wrote this I got thinking that it could be a battery issue. I have noticed that when I put new batteries in it I have less problems than if I’ve had old batteries in it for a while 

Hey, Tugboat, I'll throw in on this.  The issue comes up frequently at our beaches here in Southern California.  Generally the accepted courtesy is to give a fellow hunter "sufficient room" meaning if someone is hunting an area pick another patch of beach.  And if want to pass them, go around.  For the most part this works fine.  However, there are some hunters that deliberately encroach on other hunters, "pushing them" so to speak, and I've seen arguments and near fights break out several times over the years.  What I try to do is be friendly to everyone and if I get a guy pushing me I will try to at least say hello.  Sometimes these are new hunters and not jerks; they just simply don't know detecting etiquette.  But it it is one of the jerk hunters I just move on.  This is a hobby for me and getting into it with some idiot over a few zinc pennies just isn't worth it.

But to answer your question, at least at the beach, I say just work your own patch and use common sense. 

Bill

• Like 2