Just Scored A New Vaquero

I just bought a Tesoro 5.75 concentric for it off amazon for $65. Everyone on Ebay wanted over $100 for that coil.

The 10x12 widescan  is 1.285 lbs with coil cover. Air test it hits a med gold ring and nickels at 13.5, pennies and dimes just below that. My air test was don in my basement with extremely high emi and find the numbers are similar or better in  ground. The Tejon has a higher frequency and I believe the widescan lowers that frequency a bit as the tone breaks seem a little off where I can tone out bottle caps with the smaller coil the larger they tend to ring in higher above where I usually run my discrim.

I think the 10x12 would work better on the Vequero and probably what it was originally tuned for?

On 8/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, kac said:

The 10x12 widescan  is 1.285 lbs with coil cover. Air test it hits a med gold ring and nickels at 13.5, pennies and dimes just below that. My air test was don in my basement with extremely high emi and find the numbers are similar or better in  ground. The Tejon has a higher frequency and I believe the widescan lowers that frequency a bit as the tone breaks seem a little off where I can tone out bottle caps with the smaller coil the larger they tend to ring in higher above where I usually run my discrim.

I think the 10x12 would work better on the Vequero and probably what it was originally tuned for?

It has 9x8. First hunt today at ballpark and score a 925 ladies ring!

IMG_0496.JPG

• Like 2

I think DD coils in general tend to see bottle caps as being higher conductors than concentric coils do. That's one of the reasons I prefer concentrics for most situations, though it's hard to beat the area coverage a big DD coil will give you.

-Ken

I own the UK's 'steroid' version of the Vaquero,its a Laser Trident11 Extreme,it has the Tejon battery box,18khz,fixed and manual GB,high tone and a few other steroid improvements of a standard Vaquero,if i am honest i think it was a drastic mistake buying it brand new,nothing wrong with it but i changed it from the latest DD 11x8 coil as i could not get on with it,its currently being used with the NEL Snake coil,which has improved its usability some what,but only slightly as the few times that i have used it with the small coil is on ultra trashy roman sites and also for getting in between the stubble rows.

The condition of it is as brand new,i pulled it out of my mancave to give it another session,put in 8 new batteries and tried in my test garden,30 minutes later batteries have been taken out and its been put back into storage again,wont part with it as i never sell a detector but all the hype that i fell for was a massive disappointment,must admit i get far better enjoyment out of my immaculate 20 year old Laser B1 and B3,the latter machine is my preferred machine,pure simplicity but does lack some depth though but with a brand new rare to find 7'' Concentric and even rarer 10.5'' Concentric make enjoyable detecting session,alas the new Vaquero model does not provide me with that enjoyment factor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Man, I wish I could find one of those coils! Been looking but the are not to be found. Every place I checked didn't actually have any.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:20 AM, Dig-a-holic said:

I just bought a Tesoro 5.75 concentric for it off amazon for $65. Everyone on Ebay wanted over $100 for that coil.

8 hours ago, Tag1260 said:

Man, I wish I could find one of those coils! Been looking but the are not to be found. Every place I checked didn't actually have any.

I did not keep the coil because it had the 8' cable. Wanted the 3' one...lol.