Equinox 600 Vs 800 Recovery Speed

Edwardakis

Recently I have purchased the equinox 600 which I am very happy with. I did lots of research on different machines around the $500 mark and with Reddit’s help I went for the NOX 600. Again happy I did.

When I did some research on the differences between 600 and 800 the only biggest difference was the gold prospecting mode which didn’t seem like a huge desire for me, and some additional features like custom user profile on the 800 as well as different screen brightness adjustments plus a few other things that I didn’t feel like were a big deal compared to the cost. 

One thing I am upset about though that wasn’t really brought up or it was what I would say a subtle difference in reviews, is the recovery rate between both machines. The 600 has 1, 2, and 3 recovery speeds where as the 800 goes from 1-8. It seems like being able to go higher than a 3 recovery rate in my opinion might be worth going with the 800. 

I could be wrong but being able to go to a recovery of 4, 5, or 6 with the 800 takes the cake in trashier areas.  It may be common sense or it may not be much of a big deal but after going through some dense areas with the 600, I find myself wishing I could run through the areas with a higher recovery than a 3. 

What are your thoughts on this, is 3 enough when the next machine just about $200 more can over double the recovery rate? My recent discovery of this is causing me to feel like I want the 800 over the 600 now.

also in the manual I have noticed that when it talks about recovery rate it shows the 800 on a scale of 1-8 and the 600 shows 1-3 however 1 is under 2, 2 is under 4, and 3 is under 6 of the 800 scale. Does that by chance mean a 3 on the 600 is as powerful as the 6 on the 800?

52 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes you're right, 3 is equal to the 6 on the 800 and 2 is equal to 4 and so on.  They're just done on a different scale and you just have a few less choices with your highest being equal to 6 and the 800 goes up to 8, not really that much difference.

In retrospect ("hindsight is 20/20"), IMO they should have labeled the recovery speeds on the 600 simply {2,4,6}.  But I suppose then someone would have wondered why there was no {1,3,5}.  FWIW 90% of my hunting has been in the {5,6} region and only recently have I tried 4 (which has produced some good results).  I don't think I've heard/read anyone running with recovery speed = 8 although I know it's been tested and likely some have given it a whirl in the field.  When I run in Field 2 mode (where 7 is the default) I just turn it down to 6.  But just like the gain/sensitivity (where I almost never go above 22), it's nice to know I have the capability of pushing to the extreme.  Minelab kept that option in the recovery speed for the higher priced 800.  One of those marketing decisions...

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Hi, Welcome to the forum

Yes you're right, 3 is equal to the 6 on the 800 and 2 is equal to 4 and so on.  They're just done on a different scale and you just have a few less choices with your highest being equal to 6 and the 800 goes up to 8, not really that much difference.  You can just go a little higher and lower on the 800, not something I've ever needed to do with my 800.

Awesome thanks for your time you took to respond.  It’s good to know that 3 matches 6 and that is plenty for the field. 

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It was covered in detail here some time ago. Bottom line as phrunt said you are just fine.

Okay, sorry, I tried looking for the answer before asking but didn’t look enough I guess! 

Brand new new to this forum and happy to be here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

In retrospect ("hindsight is 20/20"), IMO they should have labeled the recovery speeds on the 600 simply {2,4,6}.  But I suppose then someone would have wondered why there was no {1,3,5}.  FWIW 90% of my hunting has been in the {5,6} region and only recently have I tried 4 (which has produced some good results).  I don't think I've heard/read anyone running with recovery speed = 8 although I know it's been tested and likely some have given it a whirl in the field.  When I run in Field 2 mode (where 7 is the default) I just turn it down to 6.  But just like the gain/sensitivity (where I almost never go above 22), it's nice to know I have the capability of pushing to the extreme.  Minelab kept that option in the recovery speed for the higher priced 800.  One of those marketing decisions...

Yeah I understand now and am okay with being able to match 6. Would have been upset if 600 did in fact only go to 3 in comparison to the 800. 

Now that it’s confirmed the 3 is matched to the 6 I feel like they could express that in the manual. 

Still though. Love the machine!!

To be fair it is in the manual,  it just isn't clear enough you didn't  feel like you needed to make sure. So not as clear as it could be. Honestly though, if your new to the hobby lots of stuff in the manual is kinda confusing.  Read lots of the essential Information posts, that will teach you a ton about what stuff does and when the different adjustments help, then just ask if anything doesn't make sense. If we didn't want to chat about detecting we wouldn't be here.

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No worries, that’s my job, to remember every post made in the last five years :laugh: Welcome to the forum!

If you have not done it yet check out the Minelab Equinox Essential Information pinned at the top of this forum. This subject is one of those listed among many.

Well im kinda jealous of all of your Metal detecting wisdom 😅

Thank you. I will check it out.  Been soaking information up for the last 30 or so days.

Happy hunting!

8 minutes ago, Lacky said:

To be fair it is in the manual,  it just isn't clear enough you didn't  feel like you needed to make sure. So not as clear as it could be. Honestly though, if your new to the hobby lots of stuff in the manual is kinda confusing.  Read lots of the essential Information posts, that will teach you a ton about what stuff does and when the different adjustments help, then just ask if anything doesn't make sense. If we didn't want to chat about detecting we wouldn't be here.

Yeah you are right that its in the manual but I guess for a newb like me it would have been nice to see it written out lol. But thanks to other knowledgeable people I was still able to confirm it!

I will check out the Minelab Equinox Essential Information!

Thank you. 

• Like 1