Equinox 600 Vs 800 Recovery Speed

Edwardakis

I was in the same place you are a few months ago. I have learned a ton here as well. My best advice is read lots to learn but keep the actual detecting simple. Just use the default settings, noise cancel, ground balance if needed, adjust the sensitivity down enough so you dont have constant chatter, and just detect. Listen closely to the target, then dig it up and see what it is. Pretty soon you will be guessing what's down there before you dig like the rest of us (and be wrong fairly often like the rest of us 😀)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lacky said:

I was in the same place you are a few months ago. I have learned a ton here as well. My best advice is read lots to learn but keep the actual detecting simple. Just use the default settings, noise cancel, ground balance if needed, adjust the sensitivity down enough so you dont have constant chatter, and just detect. Listen closely to the target, then dig it up and see what it is. Pretty soon you will be guessing what's down there before you dig like the rest of us (and be wrong fairly often like the rest of us 😀)

hahah awesome. 

I will take your advice!

• Like 1

Eventually, when you come across and understand what iron bias does, you'll see a similar thing.  4 settings for the 600 vs 10 for the 800, but the max setting of 4 on the 600 equals 6 on the 800.  Other differences you will notice include limitations on non-ferrous tone settings, limitations on single frequency selections, lack of the user profile button, lack of backlight adjustment, lack of included wireless audio accessories (but the 600 is wireless ready), etc.  These are all nice, but not necessarily essential "missing" features on the 600.  The 600 is a very capable detector in its own right, so you shouldn't be discouraged once you start realizing what you can and cannot do vs.the 800.  Definitely peruse the Essential Info thread and for a more comprehensive look at 600 vs. 800 features see this forum link in the essentials thread and Steve's Minelab Treasure Talk artcle on the subject, here.

Welcome and happy hunting with your 600.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Eventually, when you come across and understand what iron bias does, you'll see a similar thing.  4 settings for the 600 vs 10 for the 800, but the max setting of 4 on the 600 equals 6 on the 800.  Other differences you will notice include limitations on non-ferrous tone settings, limitations on single frequency selections, lack of the user profile button, lack of backlight adjustment, lack of included wireless audio accessories (but the 600 is wireless ready), etc.  These are all nice, but not necessarily essential "missing" features on the 600.  The 600 is a very capable detector in its own right, so you shouldn't be discouraged once you start realizing what you can and cannot do vs.the 800.  Definitely peruse the Essential Info thread and for a more comprehensive look at 600 vs. 800 features see this forum link in the essentials thread and Steve's Minelab Treasure Talk artcle on the subject, here.

Welcome and happy hunting with your 600.

Oh okay. That’s good to know regarding iron bias. Still not sure what it is but have read up on it. Sponge is still a bit to full to soak in more. I will continue to look into the Minelab Essentials. I will also read that article. 

Thank you!!

If you are a fisherman, you will get this and if not, it will be Greek to you.

The setting adjustments on the 600 vs 800 remind me of a 5 speed trolling motor vs a variable speed trolling motor.  On a 5 speed, with each "click" movement, it jumps quite a bit over the previous setting. You have 5 of those speeds and the biggest one is top out speed.  The variable speed motors have a rolling dial...the max and low end speeds will be the same as what is on the 5 speed.  The difference is, you get to control those "in between" speeds instead of just jumping from one to the other.  A person can get by with a 5 speed, but once you go to a variable, there is no going back.  

In trolling, I've seen it to where fish seemed to key in on baits at a certain speed...say 2.5 mph.  On a 5 speed trolling motor, one setting may be 2 mph and the next be 3.2 mph. So you'd end up not catching those fish that a variable speed trolling motor would have let you key in on.  On the 600, that's what you are getting...the equiv to a 5 speed trolling motor.  Whereas the 800 lets you get those inbeween settings for finer tuning.  In a lot of places, you may never need it.  But there will come a day when that slight difference can make all the difference in the world.

• Like 1

Let me just check, if I understand the essence of this Topic because I am not a native English speaker.

The 600 offers less finer steps in changing the R(ecovery)S(peed) than the 800 does? The 800 in addition allows for a bit slower AND a bit faster RS? So, if you want to use very small coils that allow for a slower RS or large coils (vice versa) then the search results with the 800 are likely to be a bit better?

49 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Let me just check, if I understand the essence of this Topic because I am not a native English speaker.

The 600 offers less finer steps in changing the R(ecovery)S(peed) than the 800 does? The 800 in addition allows for a bit slower AND a bit faster RS? So, if you want to use very small coils that allow for a slower RS or large coils (vice versa) then the search results with the 800 are likely to be a bit better?

You are correct in your interpretation regarding how the 800 works vs. the 600 on recovery speed.  However, coil size really has no bearing on what recovery speeds are allowed or can be used.  All available recovery speeds can be used for all the Equinox accessory coils and all three work well regardless of your recovery speed setting.

But... if I got that right - the  coil size affects the optimal refresh rate.

With a small coil the chance to have two objects under it during a single "refresh-cycle" is close to zero. You could run the coil with a lower refresh rate allowing for more depth and a better signal.

With a big coil the chances are high to have (at least) two objects under the coil while the signal is being processed. You would like to select the highest refresh rate possible to make the detector see both objects faster?

33 minutes ago, rockhound said:

But... if I got that right - the  coil size affects the optimal refresh rate.

With a small coil the chance to have two objects under it during a single "refresh-cycle" is close to zero. You could run the coil with a lower refresh rate allowing for more depth and a better signal.

With a big coil the chances are high to have (at least) two objects under the coil while the signal is being processed. You would like to select the highest refresh rate possible to make the detector see both objects faster?

That may be true of concentric coils, but that's not how a DD coil works (which is what the Equinox uses).

On a DD coil, the active detect region is beneath the center spine area where the two "D" coils intersect.  Although you may have some edge sensitivity effects that can affect overall sensitivity and coil overload in thick target situations with larger DD coils, the target recovery time is determined by the detector solely, and the center spine strip thickness (the overlap region) and sweep speed determine how long the target remains in the thin overlap region which is basically the same thickness for all three Equinox coils.  Although you could have a situation where more than one target ends up under the active region center strip, recovery speed does nothing for you in that situation because both targets are simultaneously under the active region, you are just less likely to have that  happen with a smaller dismeter, shorter length coil. 

Equinox DD coil diameter or length/width for the large Elliptical coil) primarily affects depth and sweep coverage and ability to sweep the coil side-to-side in tight confines and has nothing to do with recovery speed based target separation.

See this thread for more information on DD vs. Concentric coils.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1