Deepest Target Yet With My 800

mn90403

Today I had a chance to get up at dawn and get in a quick hunt before other events of the day.  I decided to go to a familiar beach since I had read the surf report and it said there could have been a 3 hour period of 3.5 ft waves at high tide from the WNW!  Ok, that is not much energy but better than the 1 ft surf at 16 second intervals all week.  Off I went before the mid tides would take my beach.

It was a great morning with just a bit of coolness and a partial marine layer but it didn't block the sunrise.  Off in the distance you could see the planes going in and out of LAX.

My plan was for a quick walk to my location before someone else would get there and then work my way back.  As it turns out there were no other detectorists on the beach this morning due to the lack of major energy in the surf.  Even the surfers only had small shore break to try and catch.  This was the same area where I found my fantastic David Yurman piece a couple of weeks ago.

When I walked fast I didn't locate much.  I was following the black sand line and would stop on a target and circle and see if there was more but I kept up my plan for about 1.5 miles to my beach.  Once there I was walking up and down the slope.  This presents the biggest challenge to the Equinox because at the bottom there is lots of black sand and water and at the top it has been 4-5 hours since wet.  The ground changes more.  I had just a few pennies with all metal and sensitivity at 23 and iron volume up to 10 and everything else stock in Beach 1.  (The other day I did a factory reset for the first time in over a year.)

I put the iron volume (0-minus 9)up to 10 because I have learned as Simon has also that fringe targets (very deep targets too) often times read negative and when they do that they get the iron tone and it is preset at about 4.  I give it a louder response.

When I made my turn I found some rocks that had been washed up by the waves and I got some strong hits.  Those are the can pieces that were just at the edge of the water.  They were not that deep, perhaps 10 inches but they are big so just normal trash.  As I worked my way back in the direction I came I worked up a bit higher than when I came in and I got my first quarter.  It was deep but there wasn't much around so this is when I decided to go to 25 on the sensitivity.  I rarely do this but it sounded ok so I stuck with it for this section of beach.

A pattern began to develop in the finds.  There was a rather narrow 'streak' or line running parallel to the waves but 5-6 feet above the black sand line.  My holes were in a narrowed zone.  I was gridding now down this line and also crossing it.  Targets would murmur and then you would have to interrogate them and see what number it would stick on or jump around.  I got some of the wires this way.  Then I got a deep signal that was negative 5-6 and I took off 6 inches and it turned positive.  I went down and down and could now fit the entire coil in the hole but it was still there.  I lost it a couple of times because I couldn't hear it without sticking the coil on edge into the bottom of the to hear it again.  I had to put down the detector and dig with my hand/arm scoop to get deep enough but the sand was not packed.  I was over half the length of the scoop into the hole when it came out.  I measured and the 11 inch coil can be fit in the hole on top of itself with just a couple of inches above the sand line so I say it is a 20" deep target.  It is some kind of 'pot' metal in the shape of a B.  The weight is 14.4 grams.

Soon after I found a couple of other quarters and then returned the sensitivity to my normal 23 and worked my way back out the beach.  I learn something all the time.

The last picture is a picture of my finds for last month.  It includes the David Yurman piece.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_20190816_205239.jpg

• Like 9

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, mn90403 said:

Then I got a deep signal that was negative 5-6 and I took off 6 inches and it turned positive.  I went down and down and could now fit the entire coil in the hole but it was still there.  I lost it a couple of times because I couldn't hear it without sticking the coil on edge into the bottom of the to hear it again. 

Could you say what the target locked in at once you had it out? 

Did you try to ID this in all metal before you dug?  And what were the results? 

I am very interested if someone else had a target go from negative to positive after taking sand away? 

I have not had this happen to me yet, but very curious  to see if others had issues? Also, if you had targets that changed were they of any worth?

Dave

I went back today where I found the 'B' and dug a test hole.  It did go negative/positive in the open hole as I swung over it.  I guess I had the hole at 15 inches and it went from negative 2 to positive.  It was kinda hard to make it sound digable as I had steep sides to the hole.  When I put the coil  on edge with the target it would register 15-16 and a bit higher.  Out of the hole on the sand the 'B' is a 26-27.  Who knows why it sounded better when I found it.

• Like 1

These were my finds of the day.  One ring is tungsten (11.6g) and the other stainless I think because it has no mark and is light (5.6g).  The two rings were about 10 feet apart.

The 3 one dollar coins were only about 8 feet apart in a much different part of the beach.  If I hadn't found the first one I probably would not have found the other two.

The nail is aluminum and that is part of a Disney pin.

Mitchel

IMG_0089.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I went back today where I found the 'B' and dug a test hole.  It did go negative/positive in the open hole as I swung over it.  I guess I had the hole at 15 inches and it went from negative 2 to positive.  It was kinda hard to make it sound digable as I had steep sides to the hole.  When I put the coil  on edge with the target it would register 15-16 and a bit higher.  Out of the hole on the sand the 'B' is a 26-27.  Who knows why it sounded better when I found it.

Thanks. Just very curious to see if anyone else responds with targets that went from negative to positive. Also I always say "nothing is the same in black sand"  and moving salt water for that matter.  

Dave 

• Like 1