phrunt

My First Ever Silver Coin Spill Turned Into Cointopia - Now With Day 35

I'm pretty happy about it  🙂  I've barely dented it yet, Not even one tenth of it has been detected.

• Like 7

Rarer yet, your digging saucer size holes and no one is running you off!  I know you filled them in and I can't even see where you've been.  Good amount of coins there for your outing.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 4

My Lord.... Steve is right this place has not seen a detector...or maybe someone that that does not know how to use one :smile:...start digging those low tones that the Nox is so good at...gotta be some gold in there phrunt! 

strick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

Rarer yet, your digging saucer size holes and no one is running you off!  I know you filled them in and I can't even see where you've been.  Good amount of coins there for your outing.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

haha yea, I filled them all in, I couldn't even tell where I'd been... the soil was very soft being winter, it was frozen first thing in the morning but defrosted quickly, it was quite a warm day today for this time of year.  You'll notice once I swapped to the Equinox my hole sizes grew as I got a shovel to do the work 😉  This field doesn't seem to get used anymore, the council just keep it mowed I guess in case some kids go on it to play and to keep the place tidy.  I have trouble working out exactly where the Target is with the 15x12 coil, it seems to always end up behind where I think it will be, even when I try dig further back it's still behind my hole if I do a small hole 🙂

• Like 2

I kinda hate you even though I want to be you...it's a weird feeling.

Nice finds!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

What a great hunt. Sheesh, that's getting rare to do these days in my neck of the woods. Well done mate. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I wish they made a 20" coil for the Equinox, this sort of situation it would be perfect, almost no junk, no mineralisation 🙂

I hope I can do as well tomorrow!

• Like 2

Simon,

This will give you a good workout on the detectors you have!  There are more things for you to discover about them rather than getting a new toy or turning a new one on.

You'll hardly be able to sleep now wondering what is still ahead.  There is also that ugly thought that pops up about someone else now detecting your spot so you have to get to those coins first.

This would be an ideal family hunt.  Your wife will be hooked and she will start doing your research.

Mitchel

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RobNC
      Ok.. I've encountered some really tough ground conditions in a lot of areas that I hunt regularly. We are talking the red dirt with little shiny particles all in it that also has iron mixed in.  My Teknetics T2 struggles in it. My ORX struggles but will fish things out if you can stand the machine gun blips. I keep reading that the Equinox is more suited to deal with this. Now, I tried an Equinox 600 and found it to also cut up on certain plots of land, and the particular one I had was really horrible in iron. The tones also played tricks on my ears and I found the bleepity bling like sounds to confuse my caveman brain. The ORX has been a decent detector for me, and helped me rehabilitate myself after a car accident this year. However the tones in it are so close together that my ears can not often discriminate high from mid tone. There is no way to adjust it.
      Let's fast forward to today. The Equinox 600 does not have the adjustability of the 800 concerning tones, or at least that is my understanding. I walked away from my Equinox 600 ticked off that I could not seemingly bond with it. In my mind there was a single thought - how much better would the 800 be? For those of you that have especially used the XP ORX or the Teknetics T2 and also used an Equinox 800 I'm asking you, does the Equinox 800 do better in contaminated soil than my current 2? It is possible I will trade the XP ORX towards the EQ800. Would that be a "step-up" in capabilities? I've always found this forum and the people here honest and fair with no BS. So I ask you, would it be worth the extra money, hassle and such to truly give the Equinox 800 a chance even though I had a 600 and it didn't quite suit me. It is entirely possible the 600 I had may have had a fault of some type for all I know. And what of depth with the EQ800 vs the XP ORX?
      Reaching out to everyone in the know.
    • By Happa54
      Has anyone increased their 50 tone pitch from its default setting of 20 to max of 25?
      I want to receive the highest pitch that I can to closely resemble the sounds of the FBS machines, etrac, explorer, safari. I don’t quite get those flutey FBS sounds I would like to hear but the adjustment is as good as it’s going to get, I think. I’m assuming this shouldn’t change anything in areas of performance, because all I’m doing is simply increasing the audio pitch up and down the TID scale. Or is there something else to this once you go off of default settings?   
      I thought I’d put this scenario out here to hear feedback from those who are hunting 50 tones set at a higher pitch opposed to its default setting of 20.
      I appreciate your feedback.
    • By nordic
      Hi All,
      First post, please do not judge... Question to more experienced EQ 800 users. I have been detecting for over half a year now, got piles of questions I can't seem to find a definitive answers, so decided to register and ask instead. I also want to highlight I'm interested in all relics, not just coins. Thanks in advance.
      Long story short, I have 2 things to ask about, these are sitting for quite a while in my head and can't seem to figure it out. First and probably most asked is the firmware version. I have tried all 3 versions (with proper resets before and after) and my suspicions are that the oldest is the most neutral to the other newer ones - most suited to "all" detecting. Newer ones' frequency response is not as flat, but equalized if I can express this way. The newer it gets, more biased towards coins and larger objects it seems to appear. For example, with stock 11" coil, on fw 1.5 I could detect items as small as pistol round lead bullets (16-17 century), around 4-5mm in D, while with the V2 it simply does not see them at all. In fact, with V2 I pull mostly larger coins and not much of anything else. I also own 15" coil and in regards to small objects of say, I see the following unmasking pattern:

Small copper button (10mm D) in top of mineralized soil, same program, sensitivity, GB 0, IF 0, FE 0, recovery 4:
      v1.5 - 11" performs better than 15" - can ID easier with with 11 with iron grunt
      v1.7.5 - 15" performs better than 11" - can ID easier with 15 with iron grunt
      v2.1.12 - neither of coils can see the button (FE 0 and F2 0), not even a chirp, completely blind, just iron grunt
      It takes an awful lot of time to test things, I often hunt same fields, therefore my question, what fw do you use for digging everything?

Situation no 2. My friend owns XP Deus lite and we went hunting on 200 year small old field full of coke (VDI 1-2). Soil was excellent, GB was 1! He was pulling various buckles, coins and buttons from a significant depth, while I found only few coins and one other copper thing, he only made 3rd of field when I finished. We frequently tried to scan questionable targets with both detectors to confirm if they are worth digging. What happened next was a bitter surprise. He pulled a button from about 10" hole beside the coke. I asked him to drop this button into the hole to try to ID it again, but Equinox was completely blinded by the coke, all I could see is VDI 1 and no matter what program or setting I tried, and notching it out, different angle and speed, no chance, nothing. The only thing I did not try is to switch to single frequency. Deus had absolutely no problem seeing it. I feel I missed so much in that field. I was running fw V2 and I really want to go back there once more with the old version. Is there anything you think I could try to get past the coke? I'm going to that field again this weekend.
      Just to add another oddity. I have done a FP reset on the equinox at some point and that made coke to sound very faint for a half a minute before it returned to full blinding strength.
      Sorry for rather long post. Thank you

• By Kentucky
      I’m in Kentucky. Highly mineralized ground. Full of square nails and horseshoes. What is everyones go to to hide the iron. I feel like I can’t get it to lock on? Why 50 tones over 5? Coming from at pro. Numbers have me messed up as I tried to pay attention to both Vdi and tone. I mainly hunt fields and some house sites. If u were to choose one setup from top to bottom what would it be. Deepest I’ve dug a bullets is 10 inches with the nox. Beach settings. For the future. Lol? 
    • By calabash digger
      A look at two detectors and talk about the detecting game of odds...

• By ed 1
      Hi, a good friend of mine lost his father about 5 years previously and has worn his fathers ring ever since. Four months ago my friend broke a bone in his hand and changed the ring to a finger on the other hand. The ring dropped off his finger as he was cutting the grass, unfortunately the mower was a ride on type and could have dropped off in any one of three small fields. Would I be better off switching to gold mode or leaving the equinox in field 2. In gold mode will it ignore all other metals(would save me a lot of time if it did ). Any ideas to my best approach? Regards Ed