11" Coiltec Elite Vs Commander 15x12 Mono

So this Saturday im heading back out to the property that produced 4 nuggets with the GPX 4800 last time, using the 11 inch coiltec elite.  

The area we will be focusing on has mainly been known for producing larger nuggets in excess of 5 grams.  My question is, is there any advantage to use the 11 inch coil vs the 15x12.  

The 15x12 obviously gets more ground coverage but  would think the two would be about equal on depth to larger nuggets.  The 15x12 is probably less responsive to smaller nuggets compared to the 11 inch.  

Which would you use on ground that was just clear cut with targets that will generally be on the order of 5 grams or larger?  

Thanks for the help

I'd reccomend using the 15x12 Commander coil to cover ground more quickly to help locate a productive area. Use the 11" Coiltek later to locate any smaller nuggets the 15x12 misses. It's pretty sensitive for the size, so it won't miss many, so don't be afraid to use it to locate even small nuggets.  Best of luck finding a hot spot!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice.  Will be using the 15x12 commander to cover more ground.  Going to let my buddy use the gold monster 1000 with the 5x10 coil.  Two of the guys who found this spot back 6 years ago will be there as well with a gpx 5000.  Will hopefully be some nice nuggets coming out of the ground.  Fingers crossed.  

• Like 1

Now, I no longer own a GPX, but I swung the GP/GPX series for many years.  That 12 x 15 Commander is a work horse and will find very small nuggets as well as large.  Sounds like you know your ground, so swing slow and low over your favorite spots.  The 8” Commander is another great coil for clean up of the small nuggets, but it will punch down deep for a large one too.  The “Little Saddie” works good too, for cleaning up a patch.  The GPX, is not the best on course type nuggets.  What really surprised us was the SDC 2300.  This machine will clean up the small Nuggets your GPX or any coil on it will not hear.

Good Luck

LuckyLundy 

• Like 2

The 12x15" Semi Ellip MONO by Commander will go deeper on larger gold than the stock 11" round MONO as I have done many side by side testing.  Now to be honest, I have not done a side by side with the new flat winding ELITE series against the 12x15 Commander, but I did notice more depth with the ELITE when compared to the standard 11" round MONO.

As Lundy mentioned, back in the day, the 12x15" MONO Commander was my favorite coil as with many of my Field Staff Experts and we dug some really deep nuggets at Rye Patch with them.

The 11" ELITE is better on the smaller nuggets though and in certain areas they are more prevalent.

!cid_0_200907061811_096.jpg

0_IMAGE_037.jpg

0_IMAGE_038.jpg

0_IMAGE_039.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1