Sign in to follow this  
calabash digger

Another Look At The Excal And Nox...

When you think about it a guy can get almost 2 Nox's for the same price as the Excalibur...you will have a back up when one of them floods.....That iron rejection is awesome  on the excalibur...

strick

• Like 1

It may be but the reset (null) time will cause you to sweep by a good target. The Nox smacks it better because of this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      This was a rather large update. Not so much in any of my reviews but a major shuffle in prices which changes the equation on some units as far as desirability.

Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Here are the highlights:
      The Nokta/Makro Gold Racer dropped from $599 to $509 putting it in direct competition with the Fisher Gold Bug (basic model $449) and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold at $499 plus the Fisher Gold Bug Pro at $549. That's a killer deal for a 56 kHz full featured detector. All the Nokta/Makro models had serious price drops, as it appears the U.S. importer was keeping prices artificially high. Nokta/Makro stepped in and corrected the situation, leading to the decreases.
      The Nokta/Makro Gold Kruzer was reduced from $749 to $636, a couple bucks less than the Garrett AT Gold but the Kruzer is 61 kHz and comes with two coils. This effectively puts the AT Gold out to pasture as a nugget detector option new in my opinion unless Garrett lowers the price. Waterproof, built in rechargeable battery, wireless, 61 kHz and two coils... the Gold Kruzer may be the best package price available right now in a VLF nugget machine.
      The Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ was deleted from the list. Tesoro is out of business, and although a few of these may be on dealer shelves still the is no warranty on them so they are gone as far as I am concerned.
      The Nokta/Makro AU Gold Finder with two coils came down from $799 to $679, the same price as the now departed Tesoro Lobo.
      The Minelab Gold Monster went UP to $849! I still have it as a "Steve's Pick" but that could change to the White's Goldmaster 24K if White's gets more coils out. More and more users are giving the 24K a thumbs up. The 24K is $729 but do remember the Monster comes with two coils and the 24K just the one now that the Intro deal is over. My "Steve's Picks" are aimed at first time buyers so I am sticking with the Monster for now due to simplicity compared to other less expensive but more complicated options. The same reason I am still showing the Gold Bug basic as a pick - it's simple and effective.
      The XP ORX dropped from $899 to $795 with a $649 wired headphone option. At $649 it's a good deal.
      A note on the Minelab GPX 4500 - rumored to be discontinued soon but still on Minelab website as current.
      And finally Minelab SDC 2300 increased from $3750 to $3799
      No doubt about it, competition really heated up in 2019 with lots of pressure on VLF prices. Now if we could get some competition going in the PI detectors in both price and ergonomics things would be great!

• By calabash digger
      Testing the two in my test garden..

• By phrunt
      I can't help but notice over the Internet and the various metal detecting forums that I explored today there is very little current talk on many detectors, everyone seems to focus on a small few.  Maybe I'm a little bit odd (probably) but I like using multiple detectors, I like learning them and finding out the differences in performance or in a lot of cases the lack thereof. 
      Today I went for a bit of a detect between the weather and my detector of choice was my Euroace (Ace350) with Nel Tornado coil, a long way from my best detector according to general consensus, however I think it's a mighty good detector and I like using it for a nice easy relaxing coin hunt, it does well at it. 
      I found a bunch of coins, all modern and enough to buy a decent lunch 🙂 I doubt if I tried I could find any current discussion on the Ace detectors.  It's hard enough to find any current talk on the Fisher detectors or my beloved T2, everything I read on them is many years old even though they're still sold as current models.  It makes me question if anyone is even buying these detectors anymore or using them, everything First Texas is selling is many years old, it's mostly the same with all the US manufacturers and their range. 
      I doubt the dealers on here will be wanting to disclose their sales figures or even say if they can move stock of these detectors anymore but I'd love if they would.
      I have a few questions I'd like people to answer.
      1) What detectors you have purchased in the past couple of years?
      2) Where you happy with your purchase(s)?
      3) Have you had to do a warranty claim on it, how'd that go?
      4) If you had your time again would you still buy those detectors or do you regret it?
      5) Do you still use any of your other detectors, if so why?
      last but not least......
      6) Your favourite detector of all time
      Thanks 🙂
    • By Keith Southern
      Here's a video i did of the X Steve 
      Sorry its so long but tried to get in the attributes in under a hour LOL.
      50 gain and threshold 40 all potentiometers go zero to 50..disc point is where it just drops out

AIRTEST DEPTH
      Nickle 14.5" 
      Indian Head 13" 
      Z Penny 13" 
      Copper Penny 12.5" 
      Clad Dime 12.25" 
      Silver Dime 12.25" 
      Silver Quarter 14" 
      Half Dollar 15.25" 
      Silver Dollar 16.5" 
      .58 Cal. 3 Ringer 13.5 
      C.S.A. Rectangle 23" 
      U.S. Oval 25" 
      Breast Plate 23"

DISC POINTS WHERE JUST GONE 

Nickle 34 
      Indian Head 38.5 
      Z Penny 39 
      Copper Penny 43 
      Clad Dime 44.5 
      Silver Dime 45 
      Silver Quarter 46 
      Half Dollar 48 
      Silver Dollar 50 still solid 
      Coke Can flat 45 
      Square tab 34 

The X has very good Disc actually a sweet disc its gone when its gone on the dial just today I set my second disc on 38.5 to low/high tone a .58 caliber three ringer and hunted in a trashy area and picked some deep 3 ringers out by checking on second disc and if the tone was flip flopping I almost KNEW it was a bullet!! 

You can set the 2nd disc to break up (flip flop from low to high tone) on a target which I like for exactness or silence the target or accept etc.. 

If you dont want to hear a low tone for disc'ed items just turn the iron volume to zero.then its a single tone with full disc on either first or second disc. 

You can use both disc to create a notch window if you like to your exact requirements say nickles.Set first disc right below nickle and second disc right above or on edge of breaking then you have a user defined notch to check a target with . 

You push trigger forward to use second disc and pull for a all metal no tone accept all mode like a pinpoint.theres 2 triggers for either right or left hand operation. 

Machine is on 12 Volts with Drop in battery holder like say a Infinium with quarter turn door. 

The Gain control is the receive gain.A amplifier for the returned signal and can be tweaked for hot ground or more benign ground 

The Threshold is the depth/target size control and decides how weak a signal you can hear the lower you set it the more signal it takes to break though the higher you set it up to a point of say 45 the less signal it takes to over come it.even in deep woods EMI free areas you will overdrive it into instability as a sizzling chatter..Im running it right on edge of sizzle for best depth and even smallest of targets. 

The I've dug no big iron with the X since running it now about 25 hours.Even in my big iron sites.I hear it but know its iron by the way the tones sound even n just nail reject.of 20.And picked brass out of the sites of all shapes and sizes. 

Crown caps also sound ratty. 

The knobs are very tight and you can set them and wont bump them out of tuning..One thing to show the exactness of the disc is I can cancel a flattened beer can and still hit a Quarter Clean 

Keith
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Update January 2019 - I started reviewing detectors on the internet over twenty years ago. At the time it seemed I was providing a service since good information was hard to find. I enjoyed reviewing machines in detail for those who were interested. The internet was more friendly back in those days.
      Times have changed, and these days everyone with a video camera is a metal detector expert. In particular there is a trend where industry insiders like me are considered tainted sources of information, not to be trusted. Personally, I don’t need people questioning my integrity. I was doing this for fun and that sucked all the fun out of it. I am therefore no longer accepting invitations to test or review metal detecting equipment.
      That said, my thanks to those of you who have expressed your appreciation for my efforts over the years. You can find my collected detector reports here. The focus on this website going forward will be individual user reviews as part of the new Metal Detector Database with User Reviews. Check it out! 

• By phrunt
      It would be really good if everyone can leave a review in the database of detectors they own, or have owned.  It could become a very valuable resource for people.  I wish it was around and full of reviews when I was first looking to buy detectors.
      What makes it so helpful is the reviews are done by the users, not marketing departments so the reviews are "real"  
      We all know how creative the metal detector manufacturers are with their marketing.  
      It doesn't matter if your review is positive or negative or both, it doesn't have to be huge, even just a star rating and a few lines of what you liked or disliked about the detector, it all ads up over time and the more people that do it the better it gets.
      It would also be good to eventually get a coils database going and do the same thing for coils..
      So off you all go 
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/
      Start reviewing ?