phrunt

U.S. Woman Finds 3.72 Carat Yellow Diamond At Arkansas Park

US woman finds 3.72-carat yellow diamond at Arkansas park

25 Aug, 2019 7:39am

Miranda Hollingshead found a 3.72-carat yellow diamond at a park in Arkansas in the US. Photo / Facebook
Miranda Hollingshead found a 3.72-carat yellow diamond at a park in Arkansas in the US. Photo / Facebook

Miranda Hollingshead was hot and tired during an extended family outing to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, a couple of hours away from her Bogata, Texas, home. Her two young kids were over it. There was dirt everywhere, but no gemstones in sight.

So as others in her group continued the dusty hunt on August 16, she found shade and did what comes naturally to 20-somethings who need guidance: turned to YouTube.

"I searched 'Crater of Diamonds how to find a diamond,'" Hollingshead, 27, said in an interview Friday. "That's all I wanted to know - how do I find diamonds here?" The park in Murfreesboro, Arkansas, is known for the 40 kinds of rocks and minerals visitors can hunt for and take home.

As Hollingshead watched the first video, featuring an "older gentleman" talking about dry-sifting techniques, she ran her hands through the rocks on the ground. She felt something pop over her finger and looked down to see what it was.

"I was like, 'Oh, that's shiny,'" she says. Then she realised: "Oh, my God, that's a diamond."

A check by experts at the park confirmed her hunch: It was a 3.72-carat yellow diamond, the largest diamond registered at the park since a teen found a 7.44-carat brown diamond in 2017. Hollingshead's is the largest yellow diamond found since October of 2013.

Park interpreter Waymon Cox said visitors discover an average of one or two diamonds a day, most around a quarter of a carat in size. A 37.5-acre search field is actually the eroded surface of a volcanic crater, according to the Crater of Diamonds website. So far this year, 319 diamonds have been registered at the park, with 13 weighing at least one carat, a news release said. Yellow diamonds are the least common to discover at the park, followed by brown and white.

Cox said many visitors consult how-to videos before or during their searches. But he's not aware of a find quite as serendipitous as the one Hollingshead made.

"I haven't heard of that one too often, of somebody watching a video and looking down and finding one," he said. "That was pretty funny."

Hollingshead was asked to name the diamond, which is roughly the size of a pencil eraser. With input from her son and mother, and a nod to her superhero fandom, she called it the Caro Avenger. Then she took it for additional verification. One expert said they did not believe it was actually a diamond, but three more who examined it assured her that the original diamond certification from the park was correct.

She hasn't had the stone appraised, and she hasn't decided what to do with it yet. But she's leaning toward taking her mom's advice and getting it cut into two separate diamonds to pass on to her daughter and son, who are now 3 and 4.

"I mean, anyone can use the money, but not everyone can tell their kids, 'Hey, that ring you're about to give to whoever you're going to get engaged to, or the ring you got engaged with, your mom found that,'" she says. "That way it carries on, it's just a family heirloom at that point."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12261636

• Like 2

Phrunt

I was there long ago when it was still privately owned   That was about 1971 but no shade and hotter than two kinds of hell back then. I sure nothing has changed.

It’s some people work that ground everyday they can and they come with the equipment needed to improve their chances of finding diamonds 💎 .

I’m also spend time looking for diamonds but I like them already cut and set in a gold ring .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Awesome find! I have wanted to visit the diamond park for years. The odds of finding a diamond are halfway decent. I almost gave it a go on my last drive to Florida but got stuck in a tornado storm front right about the time I was passing through and decided to keep going. Maybe next year.

Crater of Diamonds State Park

I'd love to go to a place like that.  I'd roam around there for weeks trying to find one and not give up until I do.. 🙂

The tent sites there are pretty reasonable prices.

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Awesome find! I have wanted to visit the diamond park for years. The odds of finding a diamond are halfway decent. I almost gave it a go on my last drive to Florida but got stuck in a tornado storm front right about the time I was passing through and decided to keep going. Maybe next year.

Crater of Diamonds State Park

I’m planning on stopping there later this fall on my annual drive from Idaho to Florida...weather permitting etc. I always try to find something different to see or do on these trips...one of my favorites, a “bucket-lister” for me, was to dig for Trilobite fossils in Delta, Utah. Very cool!

• Like 2

I have a wedding to attend in Caddo Texas after Turkey Day...I will probably go to the Crater and give it one last try....

I hope there is recent plowing and some rain when I am there....

I won't be mining like some of the regulars do...way to much work!

fred