G'day From Western Australia

Hi All,

I have been trawling this site for a number of months and figured it was about time I started contributing what I can! (which is not much at this stage).

I have equipped myself with an Equinox 800 and hope to be able to make the most of it! Focus will be on relics/coins/jewellery for now with a goal of heading into some gold country. Not sure the equinox will handle the hot earth of the Goldfields so there may be further acquisitions before a trip to the Goldfields. 

I'm enjoying hunting the parks at the moment so i'll stick with that.

Thanks for all the information so far!

Cheers all

• Like 7

Hi Westy,

Welcome to the forum, Hunting parks can be a lot of fun, I primarily look for gold but I also really enjoy hunting for old coins and you never know, some jewellery may make it into the mix.  The Nox is outstanding for that.

It may lose depth in your gold country soil that's for sure but you never know, nuggets can and often are near the surface... especially if you find some good bedrock or even creeks.   You may end up needing to get yourself a PI of some form to handle the WA soils to look for gold, either way.. once you've got the fever....... :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks phrunt,

I have a feeling i'll end up with a PI of some sort. I've watched so many videos of guys and girls digging tiny nuggets. Even though it's hard work for the tiny return I feel I'm going to need to see that glint of gold at some stage. 

I also want to try my hand at shallow water searching where the masses like to cool off. Need to get myself a scoop!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

Rest assured a properly tuned metal detector will “handle” any ground. It simply requires reducing the sensitivity until the detector is stable, and then working within whatever limits that imposes. Gold can be found with most any detector if on good ground and with a skillful operator behind the machine. I am not saying all detectors are equal, but the truth is it’s the operators that vary far more than the detectors themselves. Enjoy!

post-1-0-85634600-1439921248.jpg

• Like 5

Is that floating dredge tailing piles or? It looks more mixed and less uniform than our dredge piles here. 

Ganes Creek, Alaska was mined with floating bucket line dredges and more recently dragline and bulldozer mining. The tailings in that photo are dragline poles that have been flattened out. See my Ganes Creek stories for lots of photos of both types of tailing piles.

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dirt Wagon
      Hi, just purchased my first metal detector yesterday and looking forward to exploring with it. It's a Minelab Gold Monster 1000, since I live in the gold belt of N. Georgia it seemed like a good choice from all the positive reviews of it. I found it on sale for $659 which I thought was a good deal, but enough of that....I tried posting the link for others on this site to get it but was unfortunately flagged and banned for posting the link.

Thankfully the ban was lifted and I'm back. Looking forward to get the detector in my hands and learn the ropes!

- Dirt Wagon

• By Chip CT
      I am a new to detecting starting out with a Minelab Equinox 600, living in Connecticut I will have the chance to work beaches but will usually focus on parks and private sites looking for coins and relics. I have seen already that the Equinox is a fairly advanced machine and will take some time to get used to, so far I have been digging everything and found a few modern coins and a lot of aluminum pop tops, cans and bottle caps. I seem to be picking up a lot from the more experienced users on this forum and appreciate the info and sharing you all do.
      I will stick with Park 1 , noise balance , and auto ground balance for now until I get the VDI numbers down but hope to branch out as I learn more. 

Thanks for the great introduction to this hobby 
    • By Mr Swing king
      My name's Kyle, I'm 34 or so frm Colorado springs I started out detecting last September after seeing some YouTube videos. Saved up and bought a harbor freight machine. Fet I hit the jackpot with my first hobby that actually made me money, with all the coins I was finding. Still wasn't finding anything great like I was hoping for, so saved up, and bought a simplex after last Christmas. 

Turns out the cool finds were to follow buying the simplex.  I'll have to post some of my best finds. A little late, but better late than never.
    • By Valens Legacy
      It seems that many here knew my grandfather, and I only hope that I can gain the same respect that he had from man of you.
      I am new at this so please forgive me if I make a few mistakes along the way.
      I love fishing, hunting, and most of all family.
      I have my grandfathers equipment to learn and use and I have a lot to learn about this type of hunting. I went with my grandfather to several countries searching for lost treasures underwater, but never anything like this. I have used sonar, side scan sonar, and my grandfathers underwater detectors with UAV's.
      Caleb
    • By TheDougMan
      Amateur Detectorist and rock hound.

looking for some help with this find.
      I think it may be a type of achondrite, possibly a Eucrite.
      It most resembles Stannern eucrite, found in the Czech Republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucrite

Appreciate any informed input. 
      Thanks!

• By DavidBNJ
      Hi

Just joined and just got my first real metal detector today. I just got a Garrett Ace Apex and am excited to see what I can uncover with it. Looking for tips and tricks and any other helpful info. 

David