G'day From Western Australia

Hi All,

I have been trawling this site for a number of months and figured it was about time I started contributing what I can! (which is not much at this stage).

I have equipped myself with an Equinox 800 and hope to be able to make the most of it! Focus will be on relics/coins/jewellery for now with a goal of heading into some gold country. Not sure the equinox will handle the hot earth of the Goldfields so there may be further acquisitions before a trip to the Goldfields. 

I'm enjoying hunting the parks at the moment so i'll stick with that.

Thanks for all the information so far!

Cheers all

• Like 7

Hi Westy,

Welcome to the forum, Hunting parks can be a lot of fun, I primarily look for gold but I also really enjoy hunting for old coins and you never know, some jewellery may make it into the mix.  The Nox is outstanding for that.

It may lose depth in your gold country soil that's for sure but you never know, nuggets can and often are near the surface... especially if you find some good bedrock or even creeks.   You may end up needing to get yourself a PI of some form to handle the WA soils to look for gold, either way.. once you've got the fever....... :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks phrunt,

I have a feeling i'll end up with a PI of some sort. I've watched so many videos of guys and girls digging tiny nuggets. Even though it's hard work for the tiny return I feel I'm going to need to see that glint of gold at some stage. 

I also want to try my hand at shallow water searching where the masses like to cool off. Need to get myself a scoop!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

Rest assured a properly tuned metal detector will “handle” any ground. It simply requires reducing the sensitivity until the detector is stable, and then working within whatever limits that imposes. Gold can be found with most any detector if on good ground and with a skillful operator behind the machine. I am not saying all detectors are equal, but the truth is it’s the operators that vary far more than the detectors themselves. Enjoy!

post-1-0-85634600-1439921248.jpg

• Like 5

Is that floating dredge tailing piles or? It looks more mixed and less uniform than our dredge piles here. 

Ganes Creek, Alaska was mined with floating bucket line dredges and more recently dragline and bulldozer mining. The tailings in that photo are dragline poles that have been flattened out. See my Ganes Creek stories for lots of photos of both types of tailing piles.

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Bryan
      greetings all. i'm bryan. i've been lurking the forums for a very long time but now i'm official! hope everyone has a great weekend.
    • By larryw
      Hello, I like the oldschool format of a Forum over a Facebook, But i do use facebook for local detecting groups.  Ive been detecting for about 25 years now. I mostly just hunt coins/jewelry/relics. I live in upstate New York. My village was founded around 1807 and was a militia training ground from about 1807 to 1830 ish.  My village had about 35 + participants in the War of 1812. I got full permission to detect and keep anything on ALL of my Villages property free and clear :). Lots of good stuff has come out of here. Basically all able body people that lived here during the Civil War was required to participate in that. I basically live in what has been a military complex for a very long time but was never owned by the Federal government. Ill be asking questions in about a detector decision in another thread. Just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and get some info a potential detector purchase. THANKS!
    • By KellycoDetectors
      Hello from Kellyco Detectors! We are happy to be here and look forward to having many good conversations about metal detectors and treasure hunting 😃
    • By JCR
      This is the first Forum I have ever joined but have enjoyed reading it for a long time.
      Thank you Steve.
    • By Steve Andrews
      Hi, I have found DetectorProspector to have some very knowledgeable members and there is great information on the site, so I thought it was time that I registered.
      I live on a British island which is 14 miles from the French coast and we have a rich history. 
      I mainly detect the beach for military relics from the British wars with France and the island's German occupation during World War 2.
      Though I never target jewellery, I very much enjoy undertaking recoveries on a voluntary basis and have reunited a dozen people with lost rings since I started detecting a couple of years ago.
      I use an XP Deus in the fields and a Minelab Equinox 600 with 15in coil on the beach.
      I look forward to contributing. Thank you.
    • By Theraker
      Hi all!  I’ve been out nugget hunting and as you can see from the picture if casings and bullet fragments were the objective I’d still be piss poor.   After 15 hours of searching around the East Fork San Gabriel and around Acton that’s all I’ve found!   I just got Jim’s Advanced Nugget hunting though so now I’m ready!   Think I’m going to try upper Piru.   Y’all be cool.   Look for my 17 Gram gold chunk as soon as I find it and update here!