Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Collapsible Shaft For Garrett AT Series?

2 hours ago, kac said:

Be cool if someone came up with a collapsible shaft for hiking. Shaft system like that should work on the Ace series as well.

• Like 2

Here you will find a video of a german detectorist, Stefan, "Sondelsüchtig" (= addicted to detecting), who favors the Mars Universal Shaft for his AT Pro and nowadays for his AT Max too: 

On his channel you can find a lot of interesting videos on the AT Pro and AT Max. All in the german language, but he speaks english too. So if you have any questions you can always post him on his YT-channel.

HTH

Greetings,

• Like 1

cool, know what my next purchases is :)

Looked at the specs on that it's almost 3 lbs! Not a bad design otherwise.

Weight is 730 grams or 1.069 lbs. it’s an almost exact copy of the Deus rod so no way it could weigh 3 lbs.

C5A080FE-5DCA-4A12-8829-39FF915A8A5C.jpeg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Doc
      Hey gang,

How many of you have old or extra lower rod to an SD/GP/GPX Excalibur, Sovereign laying around?

The reason I ask is because I am getting a lot of interest in the SAGA™ from overseas, especially AUSTRALIA.  however, the big bug-a-boo, is the cost of shipping.

Because the package is over 24 inches long the postal service charges an enormous surcharge.  Shipping for one SAGA rod is literally $66.  I about choked.

Now it just so happens, I was thinking ahead on this issue, and I made the SAGA so it would also use a spare fiberglass rod from an SD/GP/GPX Excalibur Sovereign etc.  It fits perfectly.  If an international customer could supply their own rod, I could just send a parts bag including a 1 ounce tube of Silicone sealant to glue the handle on and shipping would only be $32. USD.  And get this, if a customer ordered two parts packages, the shipping would still only be $32 shipping for two packages.  So if you had a mate that wanted a SAGA, you could share the cost of shipping.

The only thing the customer would have to do is cut off the head of the rod they have where it attaches to the coil.  The other end has the adjustment button which on most if not all Minelab lower rods is metal.  That's not good because that adjustment button end is the part that goes into the SAGA pivot joint close to the coil.  However, I would just include a plastic button to replace the Minelab metal button.

So bottom line is I wonder how many people have those extra lower rods laying around or how readily available they are and if offering that option of the parts bag would be more attractive for an international customers than paying $66 for shipping?  I know I wouldn't pay $66 USD for shipping.

Actually the same goes for U.S. it cuts shipping from around $12 on a package going to New York to about $6, by eliminating the rod.  It only makes sense if you have an extra rod laying around, if you have to buy a rod especially for that reason Minelab charges $42 for a lower fiberglass rod.

Really interested in hearing from forum members in Australia.

Doc

• By Steve Herschbach
      On the TDI Pro the upper handle was a bolt on assembly with separate part numbers The prototype models has a straight shaft, and the production models an S shaft. In either case you could remove the handle via four bolts to hip or chest mount the control box.

Since the production models went S shaft, there were aftermarket straight shafts. Here is the Anderson aftermarket straight shaft  for the TDI Pro:
      https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/anderson-whites-tdi-metal-detector-black-carbon-fiber-shaft/

Does anyone have any part numbers for the original TDI upper handle?
      The SL models the handle does not normally separate (attaches from inside the control box) and so only White’s or White’s dealers would have access to the part number for the upper straight shaft or S shaft.

The straight middle shaft 500-0288-1 or S shaft 802-5213 is standard on many whites detectors, and there is a “tall man” version 500-0240-1 of the S shaft.
      Does anyone know or have access to part numbers for the handle on the TDI SL, either straight or S shaft?
      The TDI Beachunter uses a removable shaft that can probably be retrofitted to the SL models with some drilling.

This appears to be the White’s Diver Rod Kit, part # 802-5195-1, with straight middle shaft 500-0288-1 added, and may retrofit to the SL with some drilling.

White’s Diver Rod Kit
      One of the best deals going in a rod assembly for years has been the Whites Space Saver Rod Kit for Classics and Early Goldmaster models, part number 802-5236. This may also retrofit the the SL and is in any case a good way to get some Whites Rod parts cheap. While they last.

White’s Space Saver Rod Kit
      If anyone has any information they can add about any TDI model rod or shaft parts, now would be a great time to archive it while it’s still halfway easy to track down.
    • By Doc
      If you think the SAGA™ is just a Swing Arm, it's not.  It's a steering wheel for your detector.  Start at the 3-minute mark on the video, and watch what the unique design of the SAGA can make your detector do.  If you know of any device on the market that gives you this kind of control please let me know, because I know of nothing that even comes close.  If what you see intrigues you then watch the entire video.  You're going to find that the SAGA will make detecting much easier and less stressful on your body and give you control over your detector you have never had before. - Doc

• By Steve Herschbach
      The first aftermarket shaft I got for my Equinox was a Golden mask telescoping shaft. The early version took a lot of crude adapting to make work. Later versions had custom adapters made for a more finished product. I also ended up getting a TeleNox telescoping rod.
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/6247-equinox-golden-mask-shaft-conversion/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/8628-new-minelab-micronox/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/10299-tele-nox-rods/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/10716-aftermarket-shafts-for-in-water-use/
      Between the two they are both fine but I like the Golden Mask version a little more. A bit stouter, no flex, and less levers and other moving parts. The plus for the Telenox is it is directly compatible with the Equinox rod size and therefore the pod/handle swaps over with no fuss. The Golden Mask requires the adapter and its own armrest due to the larger rod diameter. The Telenox starts with the smaller rod and so the last section is thinner than with the Golden Mask, which starts with a larger diameter rod (a need for adapter) but then ends with a larger diameter rod section also.
      There was a final Golden Mask kit you could buy that had everything you need, but now it seems to be no longer available.
      So what did I do a while back? I know much better than to ever leave my detector leaning on the rear end of my truck. But I did it anyway and backed over the detector. Right over the pod. Crushed the handle completely! A testament to the Equinox is after I pried the pod out of the ground it still worked. I had to clamp and glue the lower part of the face back to the housing later but it is still working fine. But the rod was a total loss. All I scavenged was the adapter parts and the armrest.
      With no more Golden Mast complete assembly available, after lots of Googling I found what looked like a possible replacement rod and took a gamble and ordered it. If nothing else I figured I would end up with a new walking stick. $46 delivered from Amazon.

I got lucky - seems to be the same rod, except if anything of higher quality. I peeled off the foam hand grip and removed the last rod section, which is too small and makes it too long anyway. I am lucky in that I have a lot of Equinox lower rods sitting around, because I had to cut and grind the part needed to bolt this rod to a coil from a spare lower rod. That could be a tad expensive otherwise. I glued it into the lower rod opening, drilled the new armrest holes and bolted it on, and used the adapter to add the Equinox pod/handle. Finished item is probably a little nicer than what I ran over, same exact length, etc. That worked out quite well and at $46 a lot cheaper than if I had been able to find a new Golden mask assembly. But like I said, I had all the other parts required. If you got this rod, the Equinox handle and armrest will not adapter directly to it.
      Bonus is I have a nice case for the rod when not in use, and an adapter sticking out of the end that I am going to use to create a removable coil counterweight. Not needed at all for the 6" coil, but nice for the larger coils.

Custom carbon fiber telescoping rod for Minelab Equinox

Custom carbon fiber telescoping rod for Minelab Equinox
    • By Sting Ray
      I want everyone to know about the great service & advice I have received from Steve's Detector Rods!  
      Yes there are other replacement rod companies out there but I can tell you that "steveg" stands by his product 100%.
      I had an issue with one of his  older shafts.  The bolt started to rust.  As soon as Steve found out, he ordered a higher grade stainless and sent me one free of charge!  On my couter-weighted Equinox shaft, I dropped it and busted the counter-weight off and Steve as soon as I contacted Steve about purchasing a replacement, he sent it out that day!  He is very easy to communicate issues or questions and I can't say enough good things for how he has helped me out!
    • By Bash
      A few weeks ago, I started conversing with Steveg (www.stevesdetectorrods.com) about building me a complete carbon fiber shaft replacement with counterweight attachment for my Equinox 800.  Well it arrived today, and I thought I would share my impressions.

First of all, let me say that the entire process of ordering a shaft from Steve was absolutely wonderful!  Extremely thoughtful, articulate, and maybe most importantly, timely communications. From the very first email, I felt I was valued as a customer, and that Steve truly cared not only about me, but about the product he produces as well.

The shaft arrived today via priority mail, and was very well packaged. I ordered the bright blue option because, hey, I like blue! The material is stunning, and the workmanship on the shaft is impeccable. Fit and finish are gorgeous.

The Equinox weight before disassembly came in at 1354 grams with the stock shaft and stock coil. The stock shaft components on their own weigh 295 grams, while the new carbon fiber shaft weighs 225 grams without the counterbalance. Final weight of the detector with the new shaft sans counterbalance is 1284 grams, for a 70 gram weight reduction.
      Assembling the Equinox components onto the new shaft was a piece of cake. All the hole locations for mounting the components were perfectly aligned and properly sized, and the cam-lock hardware works flawlessly.

The 70 gram difference is very noticeable when swinging the detector, but it really starts to shine when you add the counterbalance attachment. With the stock coil, swinging becomes almost effortless and the balance is such that the coil feels weightless. It really is quite amazing! My shoulder and neck are already thanking me.😍   And there is no wobble or flex in the shaft at all.

If you are looking for an upgrade to your Equinox, I can't recommend this enough! And doing business with Steve is truly a joy. My only regret is I don't have another detector to upgrade! When I do, I'll be giving Steve a call!

Bash says, run, don't walk, to your computer or phone, and order one for yourself! You won't regret it!