What Are Your Favorite Trips To And From Gold

The thought is now coming to me that some people might think they have to give up a gold spot if they post some pictures.  That was not my intent.  Favorite towns or favorite mountains on the way or back from your spot or a good lake view is fine.  It seems the thread will die prematurely but everyone is busy.

Hi Mitch:

On of my favourite places en route to the Victorian goldfields is Kiandra, Australia's highest goldfield. 

Located high in the Snowy Mountains of NSW, it was briefly "rushed" in the 1860's by 16000 miners before they were driven out by freezing alpine winter weather, never to return since the easy, fabulously rich nuggety shallow alluvials had been largely worked out.

The area was later reworked in the early 1900's by Australia's first large bucket dredge "Enterprise" My winter Image is of one of its frozen dredge holes. Note the water channels originally feeding sluicing claims on the far hill:

ok4t55.jpg

• Like 4

I'm thinking about a trip coming up to northern Nevada.  On that route I go up 395 through Bishop, California.  On the way there are mountains on the left which includes Mt. Whitney.  I've climbed it once with a running group.  It took me 6 hours from the parking lot to make the top.

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/233260

Image result for mt. whitney hike

To the east there is a mountain range that includes the Bristlecone Pine Forest. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5129900

image-asset.jpeg?format=750w

https://esiaonline.org/new-page-1

I passed it for many years but one trip I said I'm going to go.  It is worth it as just a destination trip it is so unique and beautiful.  I've been there twice now.  One time there was snow and one time there was none.

• Like 2

I love that trip to N. NV. as well but have you ever tried taking Hwy. 6 out of Bishop and then turning N. on Hwy 360? It's sort of the back way and is shorter if your are going above Lovelock. There are some amazing views and side trips to mining areas that are little prospected. fwiw...

I always go on the 6 and the 360 to Hawthorne and then up to Fallon.  There are some very interesting dry lake beds I walked around on looking for meteorites.

A couple of years back you couldn't go through Hawthorne and one way was to go through Gabbs and up the 361 to the 50.  North of Gabbs there are a lot of old mining sites to the east with old mines visible.  There just isn't much placer but I went looking there a couple of times.

When you get on the 50 and go to Fallon that way there is a huge dune.  It is Sand Mountain Recreation Area and there are very many high powered rails and dune buggies that I never knew existed.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/sand-mountain-recreation-area

So many things to see.

Mitchel

• Like 1

When I get time (it might be a while) I will post some photos of a Hike/Bush-walk to an old gold mine in Papua New Guinea during the mid 1970's. Here are some teasers of the AREA.

Book 4-164AB.jpg

Tree.jpg

bridge.jpg

• Like 3

For me, the run up Highway 395 through the Eastern Sierras to the various Inyo and Mono County goldfields, and then onto the Northern Nevada fields, has always be a favorite of mine. Talk about a world-class geology tour. Friend Mitch, for you to reach the top of Mount Whitney in just 6 hour makes you a far better man than I ever was. But then again I was always carrying a heavily loaded backpack. Speaking of Whitney, I had lunch in Lone Pine on Monday...

• Like 3

Jim,

We were going lean and mean.  You wanted to carry enough water and snacks to get up and back but we were told we could fill our bottles at a couple of places along the way.  At the time I was doing this it was just about running and trail running.  I hadn't hunted for any gold yet.  That didn't come until 2010.

I still don't have a clue about most of the goldfields on the way up there.  I'm driving that route again tonight.  It will be good with the full moon to light the way.

Rye Patch in the morning and maybe Downieville on Monday.

• Like 1