Nuggets And Civil War Relics

Strick - 

We are pretty much exclusively on private property that we have gotten permission for.  

Lacky - Yes on the next one i will pay more attention to the volume.  Funny thing is, is that i didnt notice it when i was making the video and i had head phones on.  Not sure why i didnt hear it.  

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 7:50 AM, PG-Prospecting said:

Strick - 

We are pretty much exclusively on private property that we have gotten permission for.  

Lacky - Yes on the next one i will pay more attention to the volume.  Funny thing is, is that i didnt notice it when i was making the video and i had head phones on.  Not sure why i didnt hear it.  

Pg 

From No VA here.  I know you don't want to obviously give away your precise location (private or not) to poachers, but was wondering the general location/region of the state you are working.  I know of the gold belt producing areas throgh the central part of the state.  Was wondering if you were east or west of the Blueridge and in the North, Central, or Southern part of the state, if you are comfortable giving that level of info.  If not, I get it.  Mainly a relic hunter, but knowing that at one point (a long time ago) Virginia was the third highest commercial gold producing state in the country and possessing a GPX, Equinox, and Deus was interested in perhaps doing some nugget shooting in Virginia somewhere as that and meteorite hunting are about the only two detecting activities I have yet to try my hand at doing.  So just curious.

Thx.

Chase - 

I found these in the gold pyrite belt that runs from DC down between Cville and Richmond down into Buckingham county.  

Its funny that VA was once the third highest commercial gold production state yet it only produced about 160,000 ounces.  But it definitely produced some nice nuggets including a 9 lb one and two big ones that are in the Smithsonian.  

If your looking for gold ground to detect look up the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club (CVGP) they lease a number of gold bearing properties including the one that produced the 9 lb nugget back in the 1800's.  

• Thanks 1

Speaking of gold and civil war relics, I found these years ago on and near the "Welcome Stranger" surfacing at Moliagul, Victoria:

Stranger.thumb.jpg.5b253c6b077fc9592328c31cfd25a501.jpg

Silver handle piece off a US "Liberty and Union" folding knife ca 1860's. Gold 7 grams.

I've found quite a lot of American artefacts and currency from that era over the years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

If your looking for gold ground to detect look up the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club (CVGP) they lease a number of gold bearing properties including the one that produced the 9 lb nugget back in the 1800's.  

Thanks, I will do that.  I have pulled some maps that show the belt and other mines and deposits and looked into the history.  Thanks for the club info, much appreciated.

13 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

Its funny that VA was once the third highest commercial gold production state yet it only produced about 160,000 ounces.

Presumably the other two were North Carolina and Georgia, and this was prior to the gold rushes of the (far) West.  California (i.e. the state we know today) was still part of Mexico.  😀

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Presumably the other two were North Carolina and Georgia, and this was prior to the gold rushes of the (far) West.  California (i.e. the state we know today) was still part of Mexico.  😀

That was definitely pre-gold '49er gold rush and that was also back when aluminum was more valuable than gold because an economical recovery process had not yet been invented (imagining going back in time with the DeLorean with a barrel full of pull tabs and beer cans).  Commercial gold production pretty much ceased in Virginia in 1948