Open Letter To White’s Electronics’s

To Whom It May Concern .

I’ve been around maybe as long as you been making detectors . I purchase my first detector from you White’s back in 1966 . At that time you were selling BFO detectors and discrimination was unknown at that time. That was okay with me being I was young and strong. Oh that detector made me the treasure hunter I wanted to be and before I stepped up to the next White’s detector that one had paid for it’s self . Yes it had paid for it’s self more times than I can remember.

I sorry as we get older we start to ramble.

My last detector I purchase from White’s was the MX Sport. For over a year it got more air time than I’ve ever had. This was from one problem and then another. I have to say White’s was always willing to correct any problem.

The Sport has a weight problem like lots of detectors that’s waterproof in the past . Now that’s all okay in the past but it don’t work today . It’s so many companies offering products that run circles around anything you have on the market .

It’s going to be a sad day when the very best detector is coming from another country. The trouble is that’s the case right now.

I want to say my next detector will be a White’s but I don’t believe that to be true.

I don’t need to tell you what you need to be producing because all you need is look around you. It’s as plain as the nose on your face on what it’s going to take to make White’s great again.

I thank you for hearing me out and I hope my letter will not fall on deaf ears .

Your Truly

Chuck Anders 

• Like 5

Hi Chuck,

I am really sorry that the MX Sport did not work out for you. That sounded like a real nightmare with all the shipping costs, the waiting for repairs, and then the detector is just too heavy......... And although the MX Sport, the MX7 and the new Goldmaster 24K are excellent detectors and easily the equals of the other US detectors that are comparable like the Garrett AT series, T2 and the F75 and the Gold Bug II, that is not really much of a consolation prize. You are completely correct when you say that the best detectors are made in Australia/Malaysia, Turkey and France.I am not brand loyal, I just want the best detector for my detecting needs.....BUT I also want to support US companies. I feel obligated and proud to own and use US products like the MX7, the F19, even Teknetics Minuteman, and the Garrett ProPointer. Unfortunately, those US products are not usually the detecting products that are my first picks when I go detecting...............

Jeff

• Like 4

A very well  read and to the point letter.  Was a dedicated Whites customer for over 20 years but finally had it and ran out of patience. Sold off all my Whites detectors last year.They seem to be stuck in the past and I fear too far behind to catch up to the competition. A solid  example;  the GM 24k should have come out 10 years go if you ask me. Sure would hate to see Whites go the way of Tesoro and would like to see them prove us wrong. I believe a new multi frequency MXT would do just this.  Anyone in Sweet Home listening?  

• Like 1

Jeff

At one time you couldn’t get me to even think about buying another detector. If it didn’t have the name White’s on the side I wouldn’t even pick it up.

I just hope it will come a day that White’s will be number one again.

No need to say more.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Prunt

If it wouldn’t cost me a arm and leg I’d send it to you. The trouble is I need both arms and I know I’ll have trouble walking on one leg.

From what it’s worth department that TRX is a great Pinpointer!

Chuck 

Chuck, I'm sorry to hear of your plight with your MX Sport. May I be so bold as to ask exactly how many times did you have to send it back to Sweet Home for repairs? Personally, I got one of the very first Sports, and sent it back for the upgrade, and it has given sterling service all the time that I've owned. In fact, I have personally owned dozens of different White's machines since 1983, and have never had to send one in for repairs. And I use my machines a lot, and am very rough with them.

Yes, the MX Sport IS somewhat heavy, but that is characteristic of weighed water-hunting machines intended primarily for surf hunting. Still, it is a strong seller, and very popular.

Since 1989 my White's dealership, Jim's Metal Detectors, has sold a little over 2,500 White's detectors. I always tell my customers that if a problem arises, contact me first. I know of 6 machines (of 2500) that had problems requiring repairs. Five were coil issues, and in each case I swapped out the coils. One problem I couldn't figure out, and it was sent in for speedy, problem-free repair.

"If the Goldmaster 24k came out 10 years ago, we'd all have one." To be honest about, many of the features and technology found in the 24k didn't exist 10 years ago. Its' predecessor, the GMT, was released in 2000, is STILL in production, and is arguably the most popular and best selling automatic ground balancing VLF gold machine in history. The first competitor to even come close to the GMT's performance, the Goldmonster 1000, was released early in 2017.  Yes, the GM's easy-to-operate, user-friendly, entry-level, "minimalist" approach has appealed to many, especially to those in third-world countries, where maybe 90% of GM's are sold.

The Goldmaster 24k is nearing its' first year in production, and sales are very strong, especially for my own dealership here in the Mojave Desert. Interestingly, the overwhelming majority of my recent 24k customers are already owners of Goldmonster 1000's. Fact. Why did they upgrade? One buyer summed up everyone else's feelings when he said "I've outgrown the novelty of easy operation, and I now want to increase my potential for success with the 24k's advanced, operator-adjustable, performance-enhancing features."

In another thread on this Forum Gerry McMullen has reported the same thing.

Furthermore, take a hard look at the MX 7, which retails for $599.95. The performance, features, and coil options it possesses make it a leader in that price range, regardless of country of production.

Don't consider White's Electronics out of the running.

• Like 7

I like the MX7 and 24K form factor a lot and they are good machines, the 24K especially. To deny the MX Sport intro was a self inflicted disaster is denying reality, but it’s morphed into a decent unit, though I think leaving wireless headphone capability out was a mistake. It should be added as a model refresh. I’d like to see a simplified V3i and TDI both stuck in the MX Sport chassis, though of course with wireless headphone capability added. Be nice if the half sine tech ever saw light of day, but I’m not holding my breath on that. Fingers crossed for a bright future for White’s, I will always have a soft spot for the company.

steve-herschbach-whites-mxt-ganes-6-oz-g

• Like 8

Hi Jim

I got the Sport as soon as they hit the market. The first thing I found out was trouble with the programming that White’s used . I called them up said send it in . I don’t remember how much time had past and I got it back with nothing done. Yes that’s right same program. A dealer gave me another number to call but I didn’t know that it was a distributor . I told them my problem and I must say they very nice and wanted to do anything they could to help me. They said they would have to call White’s to give me another detector. I sent my Sport to them and here came a new Sport with the same problem. This time I made sure I had White’s and again I sent it in . The sky opened up and when I got it back this time it had the new program.

I got the word on the forum that the face cover was cracking on the Sport. I made the mistake and look to see if mine was . Well low and behold my Sport had that cracking problem. It made another trip again.

The weight is not all that bad but it just cuts down on my swing time . I told White’s the last time I sent it in I told them they could throw it in the trash and I’d take the loss.

It’s nothing wrong with the detector but I’d had all I could take. It works great! I guess I lost interest in it because all the trouble I had to start.

Thanks Jim for lending me your ear .

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Chuck, I can understand how a negative experience can really turn a person off. When I was a little bitty Boy Scout we were camping one night, sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, and I was right in the middle of a migration of tarantulas. Hundreds of them crawling over my bag, me,  the ground around me, it was horrible. Even to this day, nearly 60 years later,  I can barely look at a tarantula without having flashbacks of that horrible experience. But, you did say now that you've had your detector fixed it is a good machine.  The fact that White's Electronics stands behind their products speaks volumes as to the quality and integrity of the company. Personally, I have owned over 100 detectors, and have had to send some other brands in, and did not fare as well with their Customer Support by far as compared to White's.

• Like 2

Jim

I’d have to say you were a lucky one. That first detector the BFO I had trouble with it . It went in three times and when they sent me a new one that got it fixed.

Then I had the 66 TR and I gave that to a friend when I bought the Eagle 2 . Here years later both still working and never had trouble.

When the TDI came out I got one of the first of two hundred. It worked great at first then went south. After the third time of not fixing the problem I got a new one . I wasn’t happy so I sold it .

Best to you Jim.

Chuck 

• Sad 1