Open Letter To White’s Electronics’s

It's a cottage industry to be sure.  Garrett and Minelab have their industrial/military business to bolster them and the military applications seem to drive the technological innovations at ML.  Third world gold prospecting seems to be the next driver followed by hobby detecting a distant 3rd or 4th depending on how you look at it.  Those solely relying on hobbiests for their business model are stressed and perhaps doing a death spiral or are innovating and grabbing the attention of the casual hobbiest with great performance at economical pricing (i.e., value based Simplex) or innovative, unique design concepts (XP Deus/ORX)

I noticed an obvious downturn in their community 'footprint' when I wanted to assist Whites after my success with the 24K and offered them all of my pics and videos for promo use/advertising this excellent detector (in my mind, THE BEST VLF prospecting machine in the past 20 years). All I asked for was an opportunity to test the 6X4DD coil here in Oz when it was released. All I received in response was an idiotic dismissal (as if the crux of my email wasn't even understood or read) and a suggestion of a coil release date. Many months later and that coil still hasn't been released.....and this coil was touted as being 'available soon' when the 24K was being advertised for the 1st time. To date, there still isn't any decent independent Youtube videos of the 24K in action finding gold either....something that ML encourage for all of their prospecting detectors. The advertising/promo dept of Whites are waaaay behind the ball. Tech advancements are being introduced by Minelab, Nokta and XP on almost all new models....this is something that no new US unit has done for quite a while now....once upon a time 50% of all new detectors I saw out in the field or on Youtube were US machines (Whites, Garrett, Fisher etc) and now outside the USA (as Steve notes also), they are absent. This indicates a serious shift and a worrying one for US manufacturers because once the 'rot' sets in, its hard to stop. The demise of Tesoro may well be the 1st of a domino effect closure event. Once sales drop, there is no money for design and R&D. This 'disease' becomes terminal if left to fester.......

• Like 2

Yeah, Garrett pays for a youtube/tv presence,  but they seem to be the only ones that do.

(Assumption on my part, but I think a pretty safe one)

It's a bit like when old Yellow died, None of us know whats going on behind the scenes but I am sick of all their new machines being built on the chassis of the Treasure Mate, no matter if it is the treasure mate or the MX'sport and even the 24K, Same Shaft, Same Pod, There is not one machine that says Buy Me ??, nothing to get excited about, Just Same same same, The prices have gone up and up even though they have saved money cutting production costs by using the same chassis and other parts, There was a time when you could tell which whites machine a person was using from 50 feet away but the only thing that sets them apart is the colour of the shafts,

They seem to think that a detector is all about the software and it's not that is just the internals of it, With their current designs If you look at one then you have seen them all, Even the coils from the black box design got morphed over to fit the new models, There are only 3 Whites machines I would buy and they are 1 or 2 more MXT's or/and The MXT AP and another GMT and the 808,

Any of their machines that uses the MX sport style pod just fills me with dread and flash backs of 2 or 3 years ago Which nearly all of their new machines from the treasure pro/mate upwards,

I just hate all the lies I got told about many products, and if I want anything made by whites I normally by it second hand from ebay because there is no way am I handing over every spare Dollar I had like I use too, I use to live and breath whites products But I now buy second hand Items if I need or want anything from whites.

I am over It, fingers crossed that Nokta and Minelab keep the Dream Alive, 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lacky said:

Yeah, Garrett pays for a youtube/tv presence,  but they seem to be the only ones that do.

(Assumption on my part, but I think a pretty safe one)

Garrett certainly DOES have a PR department for promo and public promotion and yes, certain 'personalities' are engaged to promote their products. Minelab have been doing this for decades now and Nokta & XP are certainly doing the same. This is now crucial to keep products and especially new ones to the fore-front of the public's mind. To ignore this, means stagnation and demise.....

I hope out there somewhere is a person from White’s reading every single post . 

I for one want to see White’s around for a long long time. The trouble reading most post here that may not be due to what was Express.

It will be a sad day to read on a tombstone saying Rest In Peace White’s .

Chuck 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Garrett certainly DOES have a PR department for promo and public promotion and yes, certain 'personalities' are engaged to promote their products. Minelab have been doing this for decades now and Nokta & XP are certainly doing the same. This is now crucial to keep products and especially new ones to the fore-front of the public's mind. To ignore this, means stagnation and demise.....

Yeah that's right and how did whites react ?? They closed down the forum and lost all the info and posts and then opened some other weird site as a replacement which made hard to find anyone because our accounts were deleted, And their Sales web site got revamped and is a PIA to use compared to their old site,

What ever happened to "If it ain't Broke then Don't Fix It"  ???

Cutting off the public areas will only damage the brand,

• Like 1

I think it’s fair to say everyone here wants White’s to succeed. I know I do. But if all they do is listen to people who want to tell them how great they are they are going to be in for a rude awakening one of these days. That’s why I have let this thread run on, but do please keep all the commentary as productive as possible. Repetitious negative venting won’t serve any purpose. In other words, have your say in a post or two at most, then let it go. Not saying anyone is over the line yet but I wanted to add this comment to make sure we don’t go there. Thanks! :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They did listen, to some extent, to Reg Sniff on at least one of the mods to the SL. From what I've seen, all the SL's since 2015, have the diodes, and C56 mod done.. But, they still haven't done the sweep speed mod Reg suggested.

Jim

• Like 1

Gentlemen Steve is correct on a lot has been said here about White’s . I’d say we have express the good the bad and with some indifference.

I started detecting with White’s in 66 so you can see that I’ve been at it for a long time. I wish I could leave this world with a White’s detector laying next to me and a smile on my face knowing that. 

If I could find a lamp with a genie in it I hope for one wish. White’s it would be for you at one day you will be number one again detector company.

Chuck 

• Like 6