Ridge Runner

Open Letter To White’s Electronics’s

I think it’s fair to say everyone here wants White’s to succeed. I know I do. But if all they do is listen to people who want to tell them how great they are they are going to be in for a rude awakening one of these days. That’s why I have let this thread run on, but do please keep all the commentary as productive as possible. Repetitious negative venting won’t serve any purpose. In other words, have your say in a post or two at most, then let it go. Not saying anyone is over the line yet but I wanted to add this comment to make sure we don’t go there. Thanks! :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They did listen, to some extent, to Reg Sniff on at least one of the mods to the SL. From what I've seen, all the SL's since 2015, have the diodes, and C56 mod done.. But, they still haven't done the sweep speed mod Reg suggested.

Jim

• Like 1

Gentlemen Steve is correct on a lot has been said here about White’s . I’d say we have express the good the bad and with some indifference.

I started detecting with White’s in 66 so you can see that I’ve been at it for a long time. I wish I could leave this world with a White’s detector laying next to me and a smile on my face knowing that. 

If I could find a lamp with a genie in it I hope for one wish. White’s it would be for you at one day you will be number one again detector company.

Chuck 

• Like 7

I also have had many detectors from Whites. I think the first was a 6000 D . I now own a V3I . Always upgraded to another Whites. First time i ever had a different brand was last year. A NOX. I still take the V out for a walk. Love both machines. The V is still a great machine and will stand it's ground by the best. To dig or walk ? It's all about info. or data. You will not beat the Whites V3I in data points.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By abenson
      Information about what is happening at Garrett with the current business restrictions, tips on things to do while you can’t go detecting, and an announcement of a new detector on the way, but no actual information. A full product announcement coming in the next few weeks.

• By Doc
      Gang the first production prototypes of the SAGA V2 Swing Assist Guide Arms are here.  See what improvements have been made.  Comments welcome.  Thank you to the people that gave me feedback on the first version which as we all know was a crash and burn.  -Doc 

• By Rick Kempf
      The Mayor of El Paso issued a shutdown order of all “non-essential” businesses. First Texas Products - “FTP” (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter) is in El Paso. A letter issued by the President of FTP, Tom Walsh. 

So it looks like the factory will continue activities for industrial and security products, but the Treasere/Hobby lines will not be open. Working from home, administrative and customer service functions will continue. Interestingly enough FTP has a lot of experience with working remotely. Their two most senior marketing folks as well as their chief engineer work primarialy from their respective homes in Colorado, Wisconsin and Oregon.

• By oneguy
      I bought an sdc and have about 1.5-2 months before I can bust her out.  I wanted to give Rob A. @ Rob's Detectors a plug because of the great service and what I believe to be an exceptional deal he offered up!!!  Thanks again Rob and I can't wait to get out with the new weapon....
    • By Doc
      So here's the latest SAGA (Swing Assist Guide Arm) news. As someone mentioned, maybe SAGA was not a good name as the development of this product has become something of a SAGA. The initial test run of 50, we took some and put them into the field. MONUMENTAL FAIL. These things were falling apart faster than you could swing your detector. To say they were under-engineered was putting it lightly. I had the basic concept of how this should be designed, but ultimately I depend on my fabricators to use the right material and finally design the product to withstand the rigors of metal detecting. Literally the only thing that performed well was the handle and the storage clip. I was shocked because I have been using the same company for 25 years and they have never let me down. And considering that they are working to totally re-design the piece, they didn't let me down this time either, it's just that it is taking a lot of time to make sure we get it right.

The straps were totally worthless. If you pulled on them, with very little force, they broke. We are now making the straps of super rubber. The pivot joint, was made too weak. Various pieces were just snapping. The pivot pin was either falling out of the joint or simply breaking. The ball joint which I thought would be a great idea, was actually a pitiful execution. It actually allowed too much play in the joint and made it feel like you had little to no control over the Swing Arm. Precisely what I did not want to happen. There were only really two movements I wanted. Obviously the first, a pivot joint that would allow you to move the Swing Arm out and away from the detector, to the right or left depending on which side you mounted the SAGA on. The second movement was a rotation joint allowing up or down movement to prevent breaking the pivot joint. Literally every Swing Arm out there has the ability to move out and away from the machine by some method that is not a true pivot joint, and designed with some very minor collateral allowance of up or down motion, but this limited range of motion causes a lot of breakage of the competitor's fake pivot joints. After going through the process I now know why competitors have designed their fake pivot joints in this manner, because they only needed one mold, which lowers costs significantly. My design requires 4 different parts and 4 molds. That does not count the 5th mold for the rod storage clip which my competitors do not offer. In addition to which competitors Swing Arms will not work on all detectors. The shafts on detectors have started to come in all shapes and sizes making it difficult to design a mount that will fit them all. I think I have accomplished that feat. The swivel joint and storage clip can be mounted on a variety of different rod sizes and shapes.

I could only laugh at what an absolute failure this thing was. If it had been one little thing that was wrong, then I would have been mad, but when the entire damn thing is an abortion, well all you can do is laugh and say let's go back to the drawing board. Literally, until the Corona Virus came along, this Swing Assist Guide Arm was the worst thing to ever come out of China.

To save time I went to a local tooling shop with my new plans on how to make this thing bullet proof. I am happy to report that the resulting prototype is strong like a bull, and extremely sturdy. It is in the hands of my factory in China and they have already done the CAD renderings. This one (SAGA Version 2.0) will be a winner! -Doc