What Is Going On Minelab ??

Guest calabash digger

11 hours ago, 2Valen said:

To learn my 800 I have only used the speakers because the headphones that came with it causes to much sweat build up in my ears. I don't like all that moisture and it is distracting to me.

Once I learn more about what I am doing then I will find earphones that don't make my ears sweat so much.

Hope their warranty takes care of the problem.

Sounds like a personal issue. Try some anti-antiperspirant in your ears. Sarcasm!

I recently dunked mine in a lake by accident where I was hunting Second Seminole War artifacts and it has been OK. Having said that, I've played it safe and considered both my CTX and EQX as "water proof" where rain and accidental dunking are concerned only. At my age, I don't have any desire to hunt in deeper water so if the EQX can stand the rain on our Florida beaches and an occasional wave splash I'm OK...but that's just me.

Going cheap on gaskets was the issue with the CTX initially. I would have hoped they had learned their lesson. It seems that the EQX is suffering similar issues. huh.gif

My Excals, at least in the past, have passed the waterproof test...but that has been several years ago.

Bottom line: I don't intend to take my EQXs under water. However, if Minelab advertises the CTX and EQX as waterproof at 10 ft then it should be just that...period. Make it truly waterproof or don't advertise it as such.  There should not be so many problems like we’ve seen due to design issues.   just the view from my foxhole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

There should not be so many problems like we’ve seen due to design issues.   just the view from my foxhole.

In the case of Equinox not sure it can be concluded if the issue is design or manufacturing.  Based on the nature of the failures reported (immediate failure upon submergence if some but not all units), it appears to be related more to manufacturing quality issues vs. design.  But can’t say definitively at this point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

In the case of Equinox not sure it can be concluded if the issue is design or manufacturing.  Based on the nature of the failures reported (immediate failure upon submergence if some but not all units), it appears to be related more to manufacturing quality issues vs. design.  But can’t say definitively at this point.

Good point!

• Like 1

Lacky, Northeast, and fredmason,

Thanks for the information on the earbuds as I will have to try them out and get used to them.

• Like 2

JohnnySalami1957,

I could not get Speed Stick in the ear, but my ear lobes smell fresh all day now.

• Haha 4

I am a ham radio operator , and one of my handheld water proof radios has the same issue - pressure difference from ambient air , stiffens the membrane over the speaker , then that affects the speakers ability to work correctly .

This can happen for several reasons , in transmitters [ vs. just receivers ] the amplifier transistor heats up & the heat creates air expansion --- stiffening that membrane over speaker , to release the pressure difference , just like the metal detector , is a sealed unit , the speaker cover once loosened equalizes the pressure / normal sound .

Same with elevation , a change in elevation from the last time it was open , driving or flying .  

A thought on leaks & prevention .

In every other industry machining , automotive etc. a little lube - just enough to make contact areas wet / smear on with finger tip , or with a small brush .

Nobody in any of the above industries assemble parts & seals without a little lube in the seals --- especially any seal that is sealing moving / rotating parts , in auto transmissions there are lubes made to mix with ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid , same with engine parts a little engine oil , etc.

With the metal detectors [ without knowing the chemical makeup of the seals ] I would suggest petroleum jelly - it is mostly inert & should not effect seals or electronics .