GPX Does Not Like The Equinox

This past weekend i was running the GPX 4800, and my buddy was using my equinox 800.  I will say that i could not be within 30 to 40 feet of the equinox, it gave the GPX fits, and if you got closer than 10 feet the GPX  was just screaming like it had a beer can under the coil.  I found this interesting since its usually the other way around with the GPX giving the VLF detectors fits.  Guess it has something to do with the Multi IQ that the equinox is running.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  

• Like 1

That's funny because just this weekend I experienced that as well. I was using my GPX and my sister-in-law was using the Equinox 800 and I couldn't get within 40 feet without getting interference. We were checking each others targets and one of us had to turn the machine off just so we could compare signals. 

GPX’s often don’t play well together either even if you are different channels.

You can try running a GPX auto tune channel scan to see if the GPX can find a clear channel (similar to what you do if you are getting GPX crosstalk).

Equinoxes often don't play well with each other either in close quarters.  But a noise cancel can usually take care of that.  

I have seen huntmasters prohibiting Equinox operation in Multi mode during contest hunts where everyone is in close quarters. 

Single frequency tends to not be an issue.  You can request that of your hunting partner if in a similar situation (and auto tune didn't work).  Perfectly capable machine in single (especially in gold mode).

Um, why would a person want to detect just 30 foot, let alone 10 foot, away from another? That'd bug me off seriously bad. I once used to go out detecting with a bloke who kept detecting towards me, coming close all the time. Used to! 😁

• Like 2

Main reason I could see it being a useful feature is if you are detecting strips pushed or dug with machinery.  I guess if detecting with a young child.  Other than that I'd rather be by myself.

We were hunting pretty wide open ground, but I was trying to see if the equinox 800 could hear the good sounding targets that the GPX heard.  After doing that for a bit we all split apart and detected well away from one another.  

Btw the equinox got skunked for the day, not sure if it was my buddy being new to it, him not scraping the coil on the ground, the hot ground not allowing it to see the gold or what.   From how i saw him swinging it ill chalk it up to user issues and not getting over a piece of gold.  I kept telling him low and slow, lol..

Low and slow!!!! It's a motion detector for Pete's sake. Too slow and you will hear nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1