GPX Does Not Like The Equinox

When I instruct people in the use of metal detectors of all brands, I constantly have students that when getting a hint of a target slow down their swing to the point of the detector failing to register. I have to tell them that they are using a motion detector and that immobilizing the coil above the perceived target results in the detector failing to respond. They then look at me with incredulity and inform me that they have had the 'good' advice that the way to go is 'low and slow'. It is difficult getting the message across that slow does not mean practically immobile.

Instructing requires a great deal of patience. I sometimes think I am not really suited to it. 

• Like 3

Haha i feel you Reg, and i should have taken more time, in instructing him on how to use the Equinox.  But i was on a mission and forgot to give him a bunch of pointers.  It was my second time to this site and excitement was high so i just wanted to detect.  

Its something ill have to work on.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

is 'low and slow'.

I see these words posted a lot too. 

A new adage is needed perhaps.  A low, slow, flow. 

Low to the ground. 

Slowly move forward (plenty of overlap). 

Flow the coil over the ground.  Not rushed, not barely moving, just flowing. 

You read it here first on DP forum 🤣

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

Haha i feel you Reg, and i should have taken more time, in instructing him on how to use the Equinox.  But i was on a mission and forgot to give him a bunch of pointers.  It was my second time to this site and excitement was high so i just wanted to detect.  

Its something ill have to work on.  

You did good by yourself and him.  The 11 inch/800 finds gold pretty easily even with mistakes.  You found gold on another trip he may find it and you will not.  Try it again this weekend! (or tomorrow)  haha

I've experienced this.

I have a mate with a GPX4500 and I run a Nox 800. We find that when our paths begin to converge and we don't really notice the converging action then my mates starts fiddling with the settings on his 4500 trying to quieten down the machine before realising we are getting too close.

I don't seem to get the interference at the longer distances that my mate does. His 4500 is quite susceptible but i'd imagine this is due to the 4500 being more sensitive. I would guess that within 20ft (or 6m for my fellow metric lovers) the 4500 starts to react. I start to hear the interference at around maybe 10ft (of 3m for those who can't do ratios😂). The Nox sounds like C3PO on speed when the interference starts!