Another Coil Question

I know everyone probably gets sick of coil questions, but i have another.  

So the area i have been detecting and finding nuggets in VA was found back in about 2011 by some friends of mine.  They hit it hard for a few years till it got to thick to hunt.  One of the patches they found at this place was 100s of yards from all other gold finds, and was initially found with a 9X12 nugget finder coil, when they found a 1.5 ounce nugget.  The next trip out they used a NF 24X12 coil and found, i think a 3/4 ounce, an ounce piece and hold your breath a 7 ounce lunker at about 30 inches down.  

But to my surprise that NF24x12 is the biggest coil they used.  He has owned a 18inch and 24 inch mono coil as well but never really used them at this site due to EMI issues.  

Now my understanding is, that a 14 inch round should out punch the NF 24X12 on large targets at depth, and that Detech coils seem to generally less affect by EMI when compared to NF and coiltek coils.  However would a 14inch DD coil out punch a 24X12 mono?  Please correct me if im wrong.  

So the question is, is a 14 inch detech mono going to be a better option, or detechs new 15 inch Ultimate DD coil.  Which would punch the deepest in fairly hot ground, with a good bit of EMI flying around.  

Lots of questions as i learn more about the site im detecting. 

Thanks guys, 

I think you should take them out and test them on the site...yes, it may be a pain but that is the most direct way to determine the answer...if there is a definitive answer.

A DD will give a different signal so you better listen very closely to what the detector is saying...those faint bumps and lulls could be a monster or just a hot pocket.

best of luck

fred

• Like 1

Haha if I had the money id probably have both coils, but currently i can barely afford to buy one.  

Sorry, I misunderstood the situation...

hopefully some one with the newer coils will help.

based. On my dated experience with the Minelab pi 2000, 2200, gp extreme ,3500 and 5000....I think emi and very hot ground would benefit from the 15 inch Dd

but, I have no actual experience with it 

fred

For mono vs mono in mild ground, the best scaling/comparison factor I've found is just by comparing total area of a coil. However, with higher degrees of ellipticity it may not scale as well, but every coil I've tested has more or less followed this rule of thumb. A 24x12 has an area of 226 square inches and a 14" round has an area of 154 square inches. So, IMO, the 24x12 will get more raw depth on stuff above ~1 gram or so generally, in mild ground. But with that much ellipticity, that may only hold true towards the center of the coil, I'm not sure since I've never tested one like that.

The only place you'd see a 14" DD get more depth on larger stuff is in bad ground where you have dial down your settings to run the 24x12 mono. On a DD, your RX and TX lobes individually are the effective size of the coil, not the total coil size. Unless something has changed with newer DD designs, I haven't been following very closely.

You just have to kinda try and see on your particular ground to know which solution is best if your ground is hot - either go with a DD or dial back your mono with Enhance or whatever you prefer.

• Like 5

At this site ive had to run in enhance with the 11 inch mono and 15x12 mono.  Id have to ask the guys who have detected there more what they were able to run when using a DD and when they ran the big 24X12 coil.