With The Reports Of Drownings

Smithobx

Mine will never be out of warranty. I will sell with two months remaining transferable factory warranty, and buy another new unit. Assuming I get half the price of the EQ800 new I will being getting a complete new unit with three more years warranty for $450. Probably less than the cost of a pod/handle assembly, which would be at minimum unit price less price of coil and rod.

minelab-equinox-waterproof-underwater-me

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mine will never be out of warranty. I will sell with two months remaining transferable factory warranty, and buy another new unit. Assuming I get half the price of the EQ800 new I will being getting a complete new unit with three more years warranty for $450. Probably less than the cost of a pod/handle assembly, which would be at minimum unit price less price of coil and rod.

Interesting strategy Steve, but I tend to keep detectors l really like and I really like the Nox. My backup is a Explorer ll bought new in 2006. One reason I asked the question is I am considering buying a spare pod because I often travel to areas that are 200 to 600 miles away and a detector failure could literally mean a loss of hundreds of dollars in travel expenses and a wasted trip. I could buy another Nox but I already have the coils and even an extra shaft since installing one of Steve’s custom shafts. If I could just buy the pod at a reasonable price that just means more money for gas and campgrounds and insurance in the event of failure. The recent drownings, while not epidemic, do give me cause for concern. 

• Like 1

I guess the only way you will get a real answer to your question is to contact the Minelab service center and see if they will sell you one.

https://www.detectorrepair.com/

Detector Center
188 Oak Shade Road
Alum Bank, PA 15521

Phone: 814-283-4270

Email: shop@detectorrepair.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You might be better off buying a whole detector (600 or 800) so you have a full set of  spare components and then just travel with the spare pod and your primary detector.

I will say this though, I have yet to hear of an Equinox flooding that hasn’t done so within the first or second submergence.  It seems as though it is going to fail off the bat or not at all when it comes to flooding damage.

So my recommendation is test it out under water (more than once if possible) under warranty and if it passes, you should have pretty high confidence it will not subsequently fail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smithobx said:

Well I see another 800 in my near future. I spoke to Minelab and the handle and control panel are not available to the public except through warranty repair. 

Good to know. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, calabash digger said:

You cannot buy a spare pod at this time....

That’s what I was told by minelab this morning, but my impression was he meant anytime as he said they viewed the sale of the handle and control panel as undercutting their dealer network. 

Chase one of my hunting buddies did.   He snorkels and had the machine for nearly a year id guess.   He put it up for a few months while working with another machine.   Took it out and it went nuts at the beach...... water under the screen.   Im wondering if those screen are expanding based on that internal pressure?  

Smart move Steve..... im thinking the same thing.   You not only have a new machine........ but that warranty for another 3 years for that price.  That huge.... because its not only the box....... but those coil ears could go.   Im not sure what kind of warranty you have on one repaired after the warranty is out...... i assume the standard 6mos.