With The Reports Of Drownings

Smithobx

32 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Im not sure what kind of warranty you have on one repaired after the warranty is out...... i assume the standard 6mos.

That is also a good question.

33 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Chase one of my hunting buddies did.   He snorkels and had the machine for nearly a year id guess.   He put it up for a few months while working with another machine.   Took it out and it went nuts at the beach...... water under the screen.   Im wondering if those screen are expanding based on that internal pressure?  

That is why I really recommend that ML put a statement out explaining what is going on so that people can be aware and informed of any vulnerabilities.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have 2 equinox units...first one dunk after 10 months of intense use, but very few times in the water. The second (brand new too) dunk yesterday, after heavy use  6 months in the sea water, until chest, almost every day. But this time happens after 2 rest days from water, and in the dry sand...after just 1h hunting under the sun (35°). No matter if u make a bath test, sooner or later your NOX will pass away. 

I always thought that good units were the most, but now i maybe changed my mind. There is something "weird" in the assembly or whatever. The project itself must work, because was developed by minelab engineers...but someone didn´t calculate the stress events (heat, salt, water...) or someting goes wrong in the assemply process. My first flooded unit has battery pod very flabby. My second was so tight, that i couldn`t get it out!! So what`s the problem?? Goretex membrane? Speaker? battery overhit? phone jack? USB? I don´t really know. 

Anyway, my strategy works better: 2 brand new units, just one in the water. When it dunk, i send to ML for cpu replacing, and i can hunt with the other meanwhile. When it comes back, i put the other in the water...and so on. After 3 years, i will sell both and buy new, like an "extended warrenty", in loop :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 600 and 800 which see very little use in general but both drowned after a few sessions of wading in water. The deepest they ever reached was shoulder to hand length. ML replaced each unit after it had failed as they were still under warranty.

My newly replaced 800 drowned again after just 4 outings. This infuriated me as I was certainly hoping they had sorted out this issue. The dealer replaced it through ML yet again but this time told me that ML will not replace it, if it happens again. Even if still under warranty.
I find this totally unacceptable as I take good care of my equipment and always clean them after use. They are never left in my car and never exceed the depth of shoulder to hand in water. 

Hopefully this is the last time this will happen but I have lost faith in ML and feel so scared to use my machines now. Maybe I should take your advice and sell them off. If this new Nokta simultaneous frequency machine is a success then that may be the answer for me in future. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am having a hard time believing that Minelab's policy is that your unit would not be replaced, if you have another water intrusion failure.  A warranty is a warranty, and if your replacement machine remains under the original unit's 3-year warranty, I cannot imagine a scenario where Minelab would refuse to replace it in the event of a shallow-water water intrusion failure.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would be quite surprised...

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveg said:

I am having a hard time believing that Minelab's policy is that your unit would not be replaced, if you have another water intrusion failure.  A warranty is a warranty, and if your replacement machine remains under the original unit's 3-year warranty, I cannot imagine a scenario where Minelab would refuse to replace it in the event of a shallow-water water intrusion failure.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would be quite surprised...

Steve

Ivan's story doesn't surprise me one bit. This isn't to say Minelab is shady when it comes to warranties. Rather, it's my "default" belief that when it comes to warranties, they're often difficult to take advantage of (in general).

So when a company drags its feet concerning a contractual obligation, I assume that's the norm. Again, not saying Minelab does this. Just saying Ivan's story sounds believable, especially considering Minelab's spotty customer service record (at least compared to Garrett).

Assuming Ivan's story is true, my guess is that the second time his unit failed, Minelab assumed customer misuse. And if Ivan were to take advantage of the warranty again, any denial is probably Minelab's "I dare you to sue me. Go ahead, hire an attorney or file some pro se Complaint in court where you have to spend a few hundred bucks in court fees and lose a work day just to recover a few thousand dollars, at most."

Again, not saying Minelab would do this, but so many other companies do this, whether it's a computer company, insurance company or car manufacturer. I know for a FACT that at least some insurance companies do this. They recklessly adjust an insurance claim and only pay out 60 cents on the dollar and dare the policyholder to file a breach of contract or bad faith insurance lawsuit.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:47 AM, Smithobx said:

Does anyone know the cost of a 600 and 800 control pod if you buy them outright from Minelab?

I'm with Chase on this one, I'd also buy another whole detector, even if it was just to have another spare coil.. I've got a 600 as a backup to my 800.. 

6 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

I'm with Chase on this one, I'd also buy another whole detector, even if it was just to have another spare coil.. I've got a 600 as a backup to my 800.. 

But the price for a new pod is so cheap, it costs less money overall to just buy the new pod, then buy a new coil.

Ivan - I suggest you deal direct with ML for any future warranty issues if you can.  Not sure if you are dealing with a US warranty claim or  what your dealer is actually doing, but as far as Equinox is concerned I have never heard of ML not honoring its warranty, especially in regards to water intrusion issues.  ML is fully aware they have an issue with water intrusion in their design and it is in their best interest to honor in-warranty repairs no questions asked.   

What you need to confirm DIRECTLY with ML (not through your dealer) is the remaining warranty applicable to your repaired or replaced detector.  Depending on whether your control pod unit was replaced with a refurbished or new unit or your entire detector was replaced with a new detector determines the remaining time on your warranty (e.g.  restart the clock at 3 years, remaining time left from original purchase, or 90 days).  

Your dealer may be acting as a middleman to simply replace your detector with stock on hand which is different than dealing directly with ML warranty repair and he may be receiving push back from his distributor on wholesale replacement vs. having the customer deal directly with ML on a traditinal warranty claim. 

BTW here is some information on the cost of out of warranty control pod replacements.

• Like 1