White's TDI SL 4x18650 Battery Tray Made Simple

karelian

Jim in Idaho, very soon I've got a week long trip into the Golden Triangle here in Victoria. Both the Tdi Pro and SL have space in the boot. For the first time the MXT is staying home.  There is a reason White's chose the 8 x 12MJ coil for the Limited Edition and I look forward to trying it in the goldfields. The new battery pack and a good supply of batteries will allow me to give the SL a good run. Generally the Tdi SL is my loaner machine and 'urban PI' (Who coined that phrase?). I suspect the Pro will see the most use but curiosity demands the new SL gets a workout. 

Jim in Idaho I did a quick air test on the Limited Edition when it first arrived in the mail. Used the standard battery pack loaded with cheap disposable Lithium batteries for a total of 14.7 volts. I did record the results, as always.. Karelian

1 grain ingot                8cm

0.5 gram gold coin   25cm

1/2 Sov.                     34cm

US 1/4                       30cm

1552006821_light.jpg

1552006758_018-crop.jpg

1552277488_wallaby2.jpg

1552277249_wallaby1.jpg

• Like 2

I'd say 9.84" on a 1/2 gram gold coin is really good! How in heck did you get 14.7v out of 8 1 1/2v AA's? I'm thinking that 14.7v must drop pretty fast when being used? I think you're going to find that MJ 8x12 a really good coil on your trip. Looking forward to a report.

I didn't realize the control box on the SE was smaller than the typical SL....interesting.

Oh...I get it...that's the PRO next to it, not the SL....DOOOOHHHH! (head slap)

Jim

Jim in Idaho those lithium cells are 1.8 volts + when fresh. I started with name brand disposable lithium cells for emergency use, always keeping a few packets handy. After a while I used them in radios and torches and finally the Tdi SL. Found a cheaper 'Wallaby' brand available from a local seller in Melbourne. A bit hotter to start with than the big brands. Too expensive to use on a regular basis but when a new machine arrives in the mail..... why not? Special occasions and for emergencies only because of cost. The new battery pack will save me a few dollars in the long run since I have lots of 18650 cells. That 12 x 8 MJ did well, should improve with the more powerful 16v pack on the SL and I have not jet mounted it on the PRO. Best time of year for Victorian goldfields, the flies have not hit peak numbers, the ants and snakes are still a bit slow from the cold. Looking forward to it.

Karelian

1552028230_proof.jpg

1552028089_lithium.jpg

• Like 2

The Tdi Pro is in my humble opinion a very stylish and functional design, as is the Tdi SL. In a sense they are brothers so your confusion Jim in Idaho is understandable. Karelian

1486361170_andy5.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah....I'm sort of "casually" looking for a Pro model, though I'm very happy with my modded SL. Hope you have some great luck on your trip! I'm heading for the high country next week myself. It's just starting to cool off in my area. Have lots of detecting to do the next few months, before winter sets in.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First day out into the Golden Triangle, last day with decent internet for a while.. Always present my new machines to the mother of all nuggets memorial.  'Christened' at the golden alter so to speak... an old habit, just hoping the luck will rub off I guess.. The 'Welcome Stranger' was found at a depth of an inch according to Memoir 12, which is the list of nuggets found in Victoria.  

The 16v pack is working well, no issues with heat or reliability. The  TDI SL LE is super light and well balanced, very easy to swing for hours so I'm enjoying it. Great weather, the flies and ants are not an issue so far. Best time of year to get out into the goldfields and swing your thing..  all the best.

Karelian.

IMG_1352_stranger1.jpg

IMG_1362_stranger 2.jpg

IMG_1372_stranger3.jpg

IMG_1377_stranger4.jpg

IMG_1392_stranger 5.jpg

IMG_1361_stranger6.jpg

1280px-William_Parker,_Unearthing_the_Welcome_Stranger_Nugget,_H13298_original.jpg

• Like 4

Nice pics.....think the reminiscence of Moliagul has  given me a place to go hunting on the weekend now. I need to get away from 'home' goldfields and try a few old spots in the Triangle (y)

• 1 month later...

There may be some confusion on just how this battery conversion was done. Some extra images just to make it much clearer. The original White's plus and minus tabs were modified and retained. A copper 'bridge' on the other end. A carbon fibre cover allows the use of the 18650 cells. The option of cutting gutters under the batteries and a spacer in the middle to secure the cells. A minimalist modification, cells are removed for charging which has some advantages. Hope the images make the process much clearer.

Karelian.

IMG_1467_b1.jpg

IMG_1472_b2.jpg

IMG_1478_b3.jpg

IMG_1479_b4.jpg

IMG_1483_b5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 6:36 AM, karelian said:

Jim in Idaho, very soon I've got a week long trip into the Golden Triangle here in Victoria. Both the Tdi Pro and SL have space in the boot. For the first time the MXT is staying home.  There is a reason White's chose the 8 x 12MJ coil for the Limited Edition and I look forward to trying it in the goldfields. The new battery pack and a good supply of batteries will allow me to give the SL a good run. Generally the Tdi SL is my loaner machine and 'urban PI' (Who coined that phrase?). I suspect the Pro will see the most use but curiosity demands the new SL gets a workout. 

Jim in Idaho I did a quick air test on the Limited Edition when it first arrived in the mail. Used the standard battery pack loaded with cheap disposable Lithium batteries for a total of 14.7 volts. I did record the results, as always.. Karelian

1 grain ingot                8cm

0.5 gram gold coin   25cm

1/2 Sov.                     34cm

US 1/4                       30cm

1552006821_light.jpg

1552006758_018-crop.jpg

1552277488_wallaby2.jpg

1552277249_wallaby1.jpg

Really nice setup...

I loved the easy way to use the same battery pack.

I'm now trying some fake capacity cells just curious about the drainage they can support (maybe an hour hopefully).

Also, I'm adding an inside voltmeter to check fastly when they're died...

IMG_20200102_190746.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, karelian said:

I was looking for battery tray design for my Tdi SL which would allow 4 x 18650 batteries. As luck would have it on the local Prospecting Australia website  XLOOX posted a simple mod for a Whites factory battery tray. I don't know how to post links so the full description is to be found in the Prospecting Australia site. IMG_1286_edited.jpg.903a2d9c62b1e567617c6427d9343955.jpgSimple cut out the guts of the tray, leaving the original battery connectors with mods on one end and a copper connector on the other.  I can fit Panasonic NCR18650B cells, without nipples but with protection. They just fit snuggly. The only issue is closing the lid, you need to cut a channel under the batteries into the base of the tray to allow for this. I'll cover this with a thin carbon fibre sheet and look at using a thinner sheet for the cover also. I will also add something to secure the batteries in position. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my carbon fibre sheet before finishing my own version of XLOOX's design. What I like most is that this is simple and cheap. Must confess I am aware of many different designs, since there have been no reports of smoking Tdi Sl machines I have finally decided to give it a go.

All the best, Karelian

What charger is being used?