White's TDI SL 4x18650 Battery Tray Made Simple

karelian

I use two Tenergy TN261 chargers that work for several different sized batteries, NiCad, NiMH and Li-ion. They have voltage readouts. They work well so far. Tenergy has several other models that would work too.

Jeff

• Like 1

I use a Xtar  VC4 to charge 4 x 18650 at the same time. It has a usb connector so I can use it at home, in the car, or plug into my folding  solar panel when off grid. There are many quality chargers that will recharge aaa/aa/18650 etc the VC4 is only one of many.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.6b80b5cc8c032c9449153b6d82ae5aba.JPG

On 9/3/2019 at 6:55 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

Nice work, Karelian! You're going to love that added voltage.

Jim

Jim, I took your lead as to use thin plastic for the lid. This is what I did as a quick mod.. Plus a bit of hot-melt glue.IMG_0882.thumb.JPG.83dbca7243e1e28d51a6d67e9912aad1.JPGIMG_0884.thumb.JPG.2c14732b282c801275b3b0e12caa9366.JPGIMG_0870.thumb.JPG.0947a12d8eee373c32e5c4e7a73655ef.JPGIMG_0873.thumb.JPG.38be00fe35e1e9a3fdc88855ca257109.JPGIMG_0877.thumb.JPG.24768c9cd8f106c5a7e74954f8d38097.JPGIMG_0879.thumb.JPG.731153b5238b486bafebefc91f852bf2.JPGIMG_0881.thumb.JPG.72340f8b16bac69ecd0521bbcc5411d6.JPG

• Like 2

Looks good! I did  mine with the same layout, but added a charger port at the end away from the original contacts, and added a battery management board in the center, and hot melted the batteries in place. I just remove the pack to recharge, plugging the charger into it, and install my backup while the dead one is recharging. There's enough room for all that in the case, using the thin cover. Lots of wires though...LOL.  You did a nice, clean job on yours. You'll like that added voltage.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Looks good! I did  mine with the same layout, but added a charger port at the end away from the original contacts, and added a battery management board in the center, and hot melted the batteries in place. I just remove the pack to recharge, plugging the charger into it, and install my backup while the dead one is recharging. There's enough room for all that in the case, using the thin cover. Lots of wires though...LOL.  You did a nice, clean job on yours. You'll like that added voltage.

Jim

Does the battery management board put a limit on the output voltage or just for charging purposes?

The board protects against over-charging, short circuits, and over-discharging, as well as keeping the 4 cells in balance. I use a buck converter, with adjustable max voltage and current, as my charger. By adjusting the max voltage I can use it on both 3-cell, and 4-cell battery packs. I usually limit the charge to 16.0v on the 4-cell I use in the TDI-SL.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion Jim is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this type of TDI battery pack.  Thanks for all your help Jim.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Mark, but bear in mind that I'm the guy that initially wired my BMS wrong...LOL

Jim

• 10 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, karelian said:

I was looking for battery tray design for my Tdi SL which would allow 4 x 18650 batteries. As luck would have it on the local Prospecting Australia website  XLOOX posted a simple mod for a Whites factory battery tray. I don't know how to post links so the full description is to be found in the Prospecting Australia site. IMG_1286_edited.jpg.903a2d9c62b1e567617c6427d9343955.jpgSimple cut out the guts of the tray, leaving the original battery connectors with mods on one end and a copper connector on the other.  I can fit Panasonic NCR18650B cells, without nipples but with protection. They just fit snuggly. The only issue is closing the lid, you need to cut a channel under the batteries into the base of the tray to allow for this. I'll cover this with a thin carbon fibre sheet and look at using a thinner sheet for the cover also. I will also add something to secure the batteries in position. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my carbon fibre sheet before finishing my own version of XLOOX's design. What I like most is that this is simple and cheap. Must confess I am aware of many different designs, since there have been no reports of smoking Tdi Sl machines I have finally decided to give it a go.

All the best, Karelian

Hey Karelian! How did you connect the flat top batteries without nipples? We bought flat top batteries and were going to return for ones with nipples? Thanks for your help with the coil info sadly the detech 6" mono was defective out of the box may have been in shipping, I have a waterproof sadie from NZ on the way. Thanks!

I have a question on battery chargers for these modified battery packs.  I recently purchased a new TDI SL and have been reading various posts about battery voltage, the benefits of increased voltage and modified battery packs.  Recently I found a sale on the RNB Innovations TDI battery pack.  The batteries in the pack appeared to be similar in size to AA batteries so I ordered the unit.  And appearances can be deceiving and were deceiving.  The batteries are a slightly larger than AA batteries. So I now have this unit that includes the 14.4 volt battery charger.  Has anyone tried using the RNB 14.4 volt charger to charge the 18650 batteries, and if so what was the result?  Success or failure?  Just curious before I take the plunge.  Thanks in advance for any insight.