Stabilized 12v Pack For TDI Bh

pjrough

4 hours ago, pjrough said:

With voltage regulated pack I can still use TDI with low 10uS delay, just because the voltage is fixed to 13,4 v all way through the discharge cycle.

I was suspecting the noise was increased by adding more voltage. Also, capacity is the main factor I'm looking for.

Right now, thanks to a friend, I have to the test a different creation with thin cells.This time a 3s pack.

Hopefully with a little less voltage but longer lasting cells, I can squeeze out the good balance between duration/performance/noise

IMG_20200713_110816_compress8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pjrough said:

70mm side looks too large

With the factory operations recently closed, even the eventual future assistance is destinated to vanish...So I will check with longer cables and connectors the battery pack work for an half day and eventually dismantle the lower side of the control box...In that occasion, I might also swap the coil with a smaller one, this time a plain mono... There's a long debate on this, but I still don't find a coil that suit my needs in terms of shape and weight, not to mention delay, inductance and resistance.

Looks too complicated. If vanishing the warranty, you better grind down these plastic  pins in the battery compartment, so you'll be able to pack it with Samsung INR21700-50E 5000mAh - 10A valid for all day operation. Check nkon store. Whey are out of stock, but soon will be available again.

• Like 1

I managed to get a second lower half of the TDIBH / BeachHunter ID. I drilled a small hole in the clear plastic top of the battery compartment and ran the DC barrel connector lead directly from the detector PCB battery pin to my 4S1P battery pack. You could do this with the original lower half but I had a spare. This bypasses the regular setup. Just need a separate connector/lead which is very easy to make up. Now you can use much bigger battery packs but I’m okay with the 4S1P which gives me a good 7 hours.
First photo is original lower half and second is the modified....it’s only a single neat hole to run the lead through. Third photo is power source !

5C23484E-21C9-49E7-9F27-40535F748D04.jpeg

5B78C769-AD73-4643-B67B-1F23DB9FAACA.jpeg

869D860F-F578-4ED4-B986-10C37E441A3D.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, pjrough said:

Check nkon store

Thanks for suggestion!I already found the website weeks ago and found good prices too!So I decided to push this project.

At the end of games I'll have the winner pack.

I already tried 8s 1.6V Ni-Zn (too low capacity of 1.560mAh)

11s 1.2V Ni-Mh @2400mAh (burned  during last cell soldering)

Waiting to make/test 4s 18650 Samsung 35e @3450mAh (probably the best option with bms and regulator @13.8V and cutoff @11.5V)

Last less obvious and final destination 4s 26650 5000mAh (with same bms+reg. pack)

1 hour ago, Tony said:

it’s only a single neat hole to run the lead through. Third photo is power source !

This is the best option for effortless disconnect/recharge/connect and go cycle... Thanks 👍

Ok, finally, after doing some discharge and charge cycles, I can tell some conclusions.

First of all - it works just great.

Total battery capacity: 7.4v x 6.6Ah = 48,84wh

The voltage is fixed at 13.4v.

TDI power consumption (considering step up converter loss) is 6,85 Wh:

My battery pack is good for 7h hunt. 48.84wh/6.85 wh = 7,1

If i would build it using 18650 with capacity of 3400mAh, it would be fine for a 10h hunt.

The picture is showing charging process. The battery got 2.57Ah after 3h hunt.

20200714_124057.jpg

Here is the model of the regulator I am using:

https://www.pololu.com/product/2890

0J9071.1200.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks.

As to Detech - no I haven't. Unfortunately it will be a long story, because I have to covert a land machine I bought for this project. Expecting to have something to show in September at least.