Sign in to follow this  
Ridge Runner

Why Is Everyone Wanting To Jackup The Voltage On Some White’s

I see so many people wanting to up the voltage. I know by doing so also improves sensitivity and overall performance.

Maybe someone can tell me why didn’t White’s do the same. My thinking is less load on the electronics makes the detector last longer. At the same time the detector will have a better chance of making it through the warranty .

Here’s another can of worms I’ve opened up.

Chuck 

There is no benefit to doing so on a VLF because they are all voltage regulated internally. A PI detector is a different beast, and in general more power means more depth, and many PI models are not voltage regulated. Too much power can of course blow the circuit.

The TDI series is odd in that the early models were more powerful and newer models less powerful. The original TDI Pro used a 16V battery pack but White’s went to 12V with the TDI SL, mostly to allow for use of the existing AA power pack scheme, which avoids shipping issues with the old Li-Ion pack that White’s was using. So some people are boosting the voltage back up to gain that little edge that was lost by the move to 12V.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great explanation Steve. The TDI SL recently released (2018?) special edition was a really fun and comfortable detector to swing since it was so lightweight. I would have definitely kept the one I had for awhile if it wasn't so gutless power-wise. I spent most of my time in the gold fields wondering why it was so quiet. I went behind it with another manufacturers PI made in (2003!!!!!!) with a similar sized coil, basic settings and a 16 year old battery and found out why.............

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So does this mean without the higher voltage, I'm missing gold?

Thanks!

Walt

You're always missing gold, your detector and skill set determine how much.  Nobody gets it all :laugh: is the fancy new TDI High Q still using the lower voltage battery combination? you would think Whites would get the hint with all the battery mods going on.

Look at it this way.

My clothes dryer if I set it on medium the heating element will last lots longer. If I keep it on high like I did when I first get it,it don’t last near as long.

I would say this holds true with a detector. With lower voltage it is less likely to go out before the warranty runs out and it sounds off if the nugget is big enough. White’s didn’t give you the weight of the nugget you could detect but it just would.

So maybe White’s is trying to make a better coil so they can still keep the voltage as before.

Please correct me on anything if I’m wrong.

Chuck 

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You're always missing gold, your detector and skill set determine how much.  Nobody gets it all :laugh: is the fancy new TDI High Q still using the lower voltage battery combination? you would think Whites would get the hint with all the battery mods going on.

I know that phrunt.  😛

Yes, they're still providing the 12 volt rechargeable and 8-cell flat pack.  I'm guessing because they also use them in other machines, they don't want to up the voltage for fear of someone slipping it in to a GMT, Spectra, MXT, etc.

I found some rechargeable Lithium Ion AAs in 3.7 volts but I doubt if it could handle 29.6.  Too bad they don't make any (AA) in 2-volt.

Thanks!

Walt

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, Bohemia Miner said:

So does this mean without the higher voltage, I'm missing gold?

Thanks!

Walt

Hi Walt,

All I can say is that I was hunting a patch with my Equinox 6" coil for the shallow to 6" targets (found a few small nuggets and lots of other ferrous and non ferrous targets and I dug everything) and was using my new TDI SL Special Edition with the 8X12 Miner John folded mono for the deeper stuff. I just happened to have my ancient GP 3500 (which was way past its sell by date) for a backup. I detected the patch with the TDI SL and got no hits. It was operating properly with a fully charged battery pack. I checked the same patch with the GP 3500 with the 11" Commander Mono and it located several  small ( 1 to 2 gram) ferrous and non-ferrous targets in the 11" range. This was in bad mineralized dirt. Otherwise the Nox could have hit those targets with the 11" coil and the TDI SL theoretically should have hit them too.

I am going back to the TDI SL due to weight issues (and my older age) so I too will be doing a battery mod and will mostly use my Nugget Finder coils for prospecting and just use the Miner Johns for beach work.

Jeff

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Please correct me on anything if I’m wrong.

Depends what the components are rated for, there will be tolerance too so they can safely handle more than they're rated for but that's when you're pushing the limits and may possibly shorten the life.   If they used the same components now as when it was higher voltage then it really makes no difference if you run the higher voltage to component life.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I emailed whites about the voltage on the TDI SL. I asked if it was okay to use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums for a voltage of 14.48v. Here's what he said below.

tdivolt.thumb.jpg.552f792128adadcd2798943c1ee151a5.jpg

• Like 2