phrunt

I Bought A Detect Ed Shaft And Like It

Thanks for the tip on the Herke, With the 6" coil on does it give good stability?, The stock arm cuff and small coil make my Nox topple over all the time on the hilly terrain around here.

Herke.jpg.b9d5410ca5b2a0b9a1d7461e46f3a104.jpg

I'd probably rather one with two legs and not the flat bit on the ground for better hillside balance on rough ground though.

• Like 1

Thanks strick, that's more my style with the seperate legs.  I had a look on Aussie Ebay as that's the one we need to use here and Nel coils are selling that one shipped free from the Ukraine for a reasonable price.  It maybe the winner for me by the looks of it.  I've now ordered it.

I'm committing to my Equinox now, it's going to be my primary VLF detector so I'm getting it how I want it with the carbon fiber shaft and better arm cuff.  I've got the neoprene cover for it also and I've got all 3 coils and hoping for more.

For a VLF to replace it as my primary it would need to be something pretty special.   No longer is single frequency worth considering for me and it needs to do everything or I'm not interested.  A VLF for me now has to be able to find tiny gold and be equally as good at the beach and for coins and so on.  At the moment that's the Equinox and I can't see anything replacing that any time soon but I'd be happy if something did.

I was looking into the Gold Kruizer and Whites 24k but the more I thought about it the more I decided they'd be a waste of money, I want multi purpose and then I can master one machine rather than many.

• Like 2

Phrunt, I replaced the one linked in the eBay add with the Herke cuff. The eBay cuff is made out of two pieces of bent sheet metal, I had a heck of a time getting it tight on my shaft and not wiggle, I ended up molding epoxy putty to it in order to get a decent fit. I can take pics of it if your interested. The stand portion is shorter and does not have as wide of a stance as the stock cuff. The Herke cuff does have two rubber feet on the bottom of the stand, it’s been as stable if not more then original cuff. I find it to be more stable with the 6” coil then with the stock coil.

• Like 1

The one I linked on e bay fits the Detect ed shaft perfectly..its a little on the heavy side but it helps to balance out the nose heavy Nox

strick

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strick said:

The one I linked on e bay fits the Detect ed shaft perfectly..its a little on the heavy side but it helps to balance out the nose heavy Nox

strick

I've ordered one 🙂

• Like 1

Steel is probably not the best choice for those of us who venture into the water, especially saltwater.  There must be a reasonably priced alternative to the stock cuff which is pretty fragile and offers the “legs” Simon is looking for.

• Like 1

Had one of the first carbon rods from ed /great rod but i think there is better now /going 2 get larger coil this may be better /https://youtu.be/9k1c-SFp8kI

love your thoughts cheers from oz hosey beach hunter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hosey said:

Had one of the first carbon rods from ed /great rod but i think there is better now /going 2 get larger coil this may be better /https://youtu.be/9k1c-SFp8kI

love your thoughts cheers from oz hosey beach hunter

Thanks, I did look into that one but the US is about the only country in the world I won't buy from, crazy shipping costs.  It'd be would cheaper to get a shaft from the Congo, Sahara Desert or a small village in the Amazon.

5 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Steel is probably not the best choice for those of us who venture into the water, especially saltwater.  There must be a reasonably priced alternative to the stock cuff which is pretty fragile and offers the “legs” Simon is looking for.

That's a good point, I didn't even notice that. Fortunately I rarely go into salt water....too cold 🙂  It should handle the freshwater I go into fine.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Horst
      Dear fellow hunters,
      does anybody have a listing of VDI numbers for small / medium / large Gold coins?
      Unfortunately I don't have any othwise I could run my Nox over them.
      If anybody is able to help me....... I am mostly hunting in Field 1
      Many thanks in advance
      Horst
    • By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By Flowdog
      At last, I am meeting an old friend for our first detecting session together. We bought our Equinoxs last March and I have used mine a lot. He hasn't used his very much. It just dawned on me that I don't know how to adjust our machines to reduce/eliminate interference with each other. The manual says to keep about 45 feet apart. That is my recollection, but I will check that simple factoid against my simple memory. But I am hoping to stay closer if it is possible to adjust settings.
      My instinct would be to go through my normal routine first- before turning on his detector. Recently, I have my pinpointer on before I turn my detector on (thanks Steve). This has nearly eliminated pinpointer jitters in my headphones. I plan to turn both pinpointers on before I set up my unit as usual. Once all is set, then I will have him turn on #2 and.set it up and noise cancel it against the competition. Any and all suggestions to revise my plan are welcome. 
      Last consideration, which is highly improbable, is using WM08 to share audio on a single machine. The one time we shared audio was in the cockpit of his Cessna, and we reverted back to 5th grade behavior at 5000 feet. We barely made it back. I have high confidence that it would be extremely unproductive to be linked to him for any amount of time. He would be in full agreement.
      -curtis
    • By 2Valen
      I finally broke down and got serious about updating my 800, and like most people that has had problems when using Windows 7 I looked for a fix.
      After a short time of confusion about what was going on and not really finding any answers, I turned to YouTube and found the solution.
      Simply put the problem is not the program but the compatibility to Win 7.
      So all one has to do is the following:
      Before running the program,
      Highlight and right click on the program and scroll down to troubleshoot compatibility.
      Click on troubleshoot compatibility and click on Try recommended settings, click next, and then start program.
      That is all you need to do to get it to work.

I hope that this helps someone else out there.

• By dewcon4414
      Ive seen a post that someone put up giving the program for a 3d printer coil ears.... and one that slips over the ears.    But... how many of us have access to the 3D printer?   I checked Ebay .... where i expected to see a few ...... but nada.   Anyone selling these?   Id like to get my hands on a couple for the Nox.   Ive broken the ears off mine once and this seems like  a good solution to protect them OR repair them once the warranty is out over the price of a new coil.