I Bought A Detect Ed Shaft And Like It

49 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, I did look into that one but the US is about the only country in the world I won't buy from, crazy shipping costs.  It'd be would cheaper to get a shaft from the Congo, Sahara Desert or a small village in the Amazon.

hosey,  thanks for your interest, and I'd be happy to build a shaft for you!

Phrunt is right, though, shipping costs from the US are high.  It's very frustrating.  The only "affordable" option (and I say that in quotes because it's still steep) is to ship through the United States Postal Service, via USPS Priority International.  It's about $60 USD to ship internationally, using USPS, for a package of this size and weight.  I just sent a shaft with counterweight to a gentleman in South Africa, via USPS Priority International, and it was $59.95 USD.  It took awhile, too; it got hung up in South Africa customs, for some reason, for two weeks.  But, Priority International is supposed to be "6 to 10 days" delivery.  

With that said, I'm happy to send you a shaft, with counterweight, if you'd like me to build you one; I'll do the best I can for you, as an international customer, to try and reduce a bit of the "pain" of the shipping costs.

I might also note here that the washers I use as "standard" on my lower rod design are similar to the new washers now being offered from Detect-Ed -- in that they are designed to allow more space between the coil ears and the lower rod (they stick out farther from the lower rod, than Minelab's washers do).  This was a part of my initial design, for the same reason that Detect-Ed came out with these washers -- to reduce the chance for rubbing of the coil ears on the lower rod, thus preventing "wear" over time.

Thanks!

Steve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a very early Equinox, after buying the 15x12" coil mine rapidly developed the dreaded shaft wobble, the bottom cam lock just wouldn't tighten enough to stop the shaft wobbling and swinging the

It's in New Zealand.  He could give us the address and it wouldn't do us any good. I'm just gonna keep hunting for bullets till the river drops. If lead ever reaches $1000/oz. I'm going to be a very r

I haven't verified it but the website indicates it's 40% lighter than the stock shaft. - 40% Lighter Then the full stock Equinox shaft (170g vs 286g) It feels lighter to me with the 12x15"

Posted Images

Hi guys and thank you so much Phrunt for the awesome review, I very much appreciate it mate, glad to hear you are happy!

As the maker of the Detect-Ed shaft I just want to be clear that the lower shaft we make already has a spacer built in for washers so that even the standard Minelab washers will stick out 0.5mm further on each side than on the stock lower shaft.  I always found that that the stock lower shaft would grind my coil ears down!

The “coil-saver” washers were mainly designed for use with the stock lower shaft however, it became apparent that not all coils are equal and that some are tighter/looser than others so it seems to me that it’s improtant to be able to shim your washers for the preferred fitment 👍

Ed

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Edsped said:

Hi guys and thank you so much Phrunt for the awesome review, I very much appreciate it mate, glad to hear you are happy!

As the maker of the Detect-Ed shaft I just want to be clear that the lower shaft we make already has a spacer built in for washers so that even the standard Minelab washers will stick out 0.5mm further on each side than on the stock lower shaft.  I always found that that the stock lower shaft would grind my coil ears down!

The “coil-saver” washers were mainly designed for use with the stock lower shaft however, it became apparent that not all coils are equal and that some are tighter/looser than others so it seems to me that it’s improtant to be able to shim your washers for the preferred fitment 👍

Ed

Ed,

Indeed, some of the coils' ears do seem to be "looser" or "tighter" than others, which can at times require slightly different washer sizes to  achieve "perfect" fit.

My apologies, as I misunderstood; I didn't understand that your coil saver washers were primarily intended for MINELAB's lower rod, not YOUR lower rod.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm not sure why Minelab doesn't seem to be aware of that, as it's not only the Equinox...the CTX 3030 is the same way (very little space between the coil ears, and the lower rod "head.")

Steve

• Like 1

hosey -- I think your question is directed to me; I'm not familiar with fractal tech, or coil design; not enough electrical engineering background on my part!  Maybe someone else can chime in...

Thanks!

Steve

hosey -- 

I'll have a look, at "fractal antennas."  

Thanks!

Steve

On 9/3/2019 at 11:04 AM, steveg said:

Ed,

Indeed, some of the coils' ears do seem to be "looser" or "tighter" than others, which can at times require slightly different washer sizes to  achieve "perfect" fit.

My apologies, as I misunderstood; I didn't understand that your coil saver washers were primarily intended for MINELAB's lower rod, not YOUR lower rod.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm not sure why Minelab doesn't seem to be aware of that, as it's not only the Equinox...the CTX 3030 is the same way (very little space between the coil ears, and the lower rod "head.")

Steve

No worries mate, It's not a well advertised feature haha.

Agreed, it seems like a primitive way to make something as these ears wear out quite quickly and this kind of wear is common across many many detectors!

• Like 1

As long as it lasts the warranty period I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the Minelab lower coil shaft can be used with the Ed's upper shaft?  The reason why I ask is because I have a 6" coil that's already attached to a Minelab lower shaft.  As it is now, I remove the lower shaft and coil as a unit, and install the second coil and lower shaft the Equinox.  Otherwise I could buy an additional Ed's lower shaft in addition to the Classic 3K Tweel set.