UK Silver Horde Found By Couple Using Equinox

This has been picked up in the news lately by several outlets.  Great story.  Silver is great and all but I am more interested in the fact that the one of the detectorist is rocking the Equinox mounted on an "S" shaft and it looks pretty cool.  So, just thought I would start up the ol' S-Shaft/Straight Shaft debate again.  Apparently, the only conclusion you can come to is that the S shaft is better for finding silver hordes.  :biggrin:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7413021/Seven-detectorists-stumbled-5m-ancient-coins-Somerset-field-JILL-FOSTER-joins-them.html

0F2030B2-1F29-4BA4-B183-4765D135D603.jpeg

• Like 6

WOW!!

That has to be a once in a lifetime event to find something like that. Tonight when I sleep do I dream about treasure or women? That is going to be a hard one to decide upon, so I guess I will just let my dreams take me where the want to go.

Amazing find for the group and farmer.  I hope they do well on the evaluation!  The reporter seemed to have a bit of fun as  well, making for a good read.

As far as that S shaft goes, how could it be better without the weight of a battery pack under the armrest? I think it would balance better with the middle shaft  rotated 180 degrees, putting the coil below the plane of the armrest and pod handle.

Hold your EQ as you normal do with a fairly straight arm then hold it with your hand at the bottom of the grip with your fingers wrapped underneath the shaft around the bottom mounting bracket.  Now, hold it by grasping the control pod itself which puts the coil well below the plane of the arm rest to pod angle.  Which feels lighter and/or better balanced to you?

JackP, you're misunderstanding the purpose of the S-rod.
When you're swinging the Eqx on the stock straight shaft, at the end of each swing, when you change direction, the bottom-heavy coil/shaft wants to twist in your hand. The solution to this is to move the coil, or the coil and rod forwards. There should be some 'sweet-spot' where there is minimal twist during coil direction-change. Too far forwards ( more than 6 inches?) and it would twist the other way.
Ways to achieve this would include:
1 ] An offset coil ear device, so the lower rod joins the coil towards its rear ( like the Teknetics 11"x7" bi-axial etc etc )
2 ] An S-bend middle rod, like Lisa's example, above.
3 ] A single 'forward' bend rod, just below the handgrip (either on the upper rod or the top end of the middle rod)
This issue has been discussed before, on here, and on other forums, like Tom Dankowski's.

I am currently in the planning process of my own 'single-bend' shaft, as I don't care for the stock one's behaviour. My plans will also address the poor breakdown size, too. It's a winter project ...

• Like 1

Here's a previous thread where Rick Kempf illustrates and discusses the torque problem of a straight shaft:

Pimento, I must have an unusual upper body to arm ratio or something then as no matter the length of the shaft I get no uncomfortable twist in my hand/wrist.  Weight and balance wise I keep my hand up against the bottom of the pod.  Water hunting I actually extend the shaft a notch farther than when land hunting. 

OK now I see some twist... But only when I allow the coil to rise up at the end of a sweep.  I taught myself years ago to maintain a proper level sweep.

Thanks for the story.