First Silver Coins Since Back Into Detecting

Nice triple play!  How deep were the coins?

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice triple play!  How deep were the coins?

Quarter was 4 inches deep and the rosie was close to that depth maybe a tad deeper. The mercury dime was 5.5 inches down and the wheat penny was the deepest one of all around 7 inches deep. All of these signals were loud and proud. Especially the silver, they hit extremely hard. Nothing like clad junk, where they can float around and sound weird. I was really astounded at how loud the silvers were and how it locked on hard with ID. Please bear in mind the stock 11" coil was worthless in this environment and I had to remove it. I was also fighting against 3+ inch grass overgrowth. Ran F3 channel, 21 disc, 2+ tone, 80 sensitivity.

Quarter ID'd at 89-90. Mercury was 81-83, Rosie was solid 82. Wheat was 81. I am very confident that if there is something worth having in the ground wherever I go and i do my part this detector and coil combo will get it done.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well done, nothing like digging some silvers.  I never took to the stock T2 coil, I much prefer aftermarket coils on it.  My favourite T2 coil by far is the Mars Tiger.  I do have the Nel Snake (Shrew) for my GBP and it is indeed a very fine coil but certainly lacks the depth of the Tiger.  The Snake(Shrew) is outstanding in trashy sites though and for such a tiny coil it does go deep.  I'm not at all surprised by your 7 inches, as my Snake has hit coins at 8 inches and kept a good ID.

I also agree on the T2, it is a beast. 🙂  I hope First Texas comes out with a newer model at some point, a real newer model with the same great ergonomics and ease of use but up to date modern detector technology.  In saying that for such an old detector it really holds up well.  It's still right up there in my opinion.

I don't know if we both have faulty stock coils Rob but we both think they suck 🙂

I'm pleased you're getting over your accident 😞

The stock coil does indeed pick things up however I've used the Shrew coil primarily since I got the T2SE. It's more a matter of "that's what I learned the machine with". Most if not all of the sites I can get into are trashy for sure, and littered with iron, pencil tops, foil wrappers, and things of that sort.  The Shrew/Snake is awesome because even over higher grass it glides more easily over such areas and really picks up the tiny things. I regularly find things on playgrounds that are the size of two pinheads in width. With such a coil the T2 really becomes a specialized device. It's killer on dimes and nickels. It will even overload on a nickel that is less than 2 inches deep. 

My stock 11" coil has been used less than 30 minutes, if that long. I also have the stock 5" coil and it has never been out on a hunt, only hooked up for air test in the house. Working on selling those 2 coils to purchase another Cors coil(more than likely the sharpshooter or scout coil). I'm a firm believer in the little coils. Found far more things with this detector and coil combo than any other detector I've ever laid my hands on.

Am I such a fanboy of this detector that I am blind? NO! And now I'm going to nitpick. Teknetics needs to make the T2SE into a waterproof or at least splash resistant package, and beef up the trigger switch. That trigger switch is a beautiful thing and I believe it is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Pull towards you and instant pinpoint! Push away and hold while bobbing the coil and get auto ground balanced, it's a great little touch and gets you immersed with the detector in a way pushing a button never could. BUT..That little trigger switch has a lot of play in it. I do wonder how long it will last and it wouldn't hurt to put a little silicone boot on that for protection and extra support for the switch itself. And by all means they need to do something about the cheapskate coil fastening screw. While it works, it makes the whole thing look like a toy. Display on it is nice, but it is very vulnerable and could be damaged. I use a protector on my unit for the display and the battery/power/volume box also. Would be nice to see some sort of seal on the battery cover also. When not using headphones and if you have a boot on the battery module/speaker the audio can be muffled a lot also. Little things like this are mere annoyances.

Teknetics could make little tweaks to this already great detector, re-badge it with the tweaks and still keep interest in it. Why not create a multi frequency unit out of it? Have a low and high button that could select between the standard frequency along with the F1-F7 minor shifts. For instance Lo=standard freq as we know it now and Hi=Frequency of 18khz or so along with F1-F7 shifts but within the 18khz range. Call it the T2 Platinum, give it a new paint job and special holographic Platinum name tag.

Yep, I went way out there on this one.. haha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RobNC said:

Teknetics could make little tweaks to this already great detector, re-badge it with the tweaks and still keep interest in it.

Well, they did come out with the T2+ a couple years back, but I think that was just the Classic with Boost mode added.  I see you're talking about an upgrade to the SE model.

19 hours ago, RobNC said:

Why not create a multi frequency unit out of it?

I notice you mean selectable multi-frequency (MF).  Has First Texas ever made one of these?  The CZ series was simultaneous MF but I think that's it from (now) El Paso.  It is interesting that with Dave Johnson (CZ designer/engineer) and now Carl Moreland (White's V3i designer/engineer) they still haven't gotten into even selectable MF let alone simultaneous MF (exception being the long-in-the-tooth CZ).  I'm sure they're working hard down there so if MF is not in the works then apparently 'corporate' has decided it's not worth it.

I think these aftermarket coil manufacturers are a huge plus to the MD field.  It really P's me O when manufacturers don't cooperate with them.  (Apparently First Texas isn't in that camp, at least.)  Your post makes me want to get a Shrew for my F75.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I always thought there was some correlation between the width of a coil and it's depth.    I've even read the width of the coil = the depth of the coil?

I've read that too.  The universe would be a whole lot easier to understand if all relationships were linear....  The fact that they aren't is why the mathematicians, engineers, and scientists get paid the big bucks.  😁