Tdi Pro Coil Comparison On The Goldfields

karelian

"Of course Gen 1 does not have a vernier GB, perhaps because the GB is not to touchy (critical) in finding the quiet GB position. Having not used a SL, I am guessing here."

Actually, the Pro version of the Gen 1 (made for Australian use) has a "fine adjust" control. And, the more GB you dial in, the less sensitive it is. In effect, you are telling your detector to ignore a greater range of signals. The less GB you can use, along with having a stable machine, the better.

Jim

On 3/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

taking a detector like a GPX 5000 and running multiple times with multiple settings tends to find a few missed nuggets.

👍

6 hours ago, bobinyelm said:

Another question about GB: If in unmineralized soil, running GB OFF results in a single tone response to all metals, but they say it makes the detector more sensitive to deeper targets. The criteria for turning it OFF is that when attempting to ground balance, there is NO position at which you can null out the detector, meaning there is no balance point by varying the knob position w/ the GB switch ON.

Another question that Steve H. has answered, and it's also in the 'Guides' section of this site:

• Like 1

I like to use the Tdi Pro with smaller coils, a Sadie running with delay at 10 and conductivity in the all setting. If hot rocks and the ground prove a real problem then I may switch conductivity to Low. If i have a larger coil mounted then I will still use the same settings and logic.  If I know there are monsters lurking in the depths I may be tempted to use a slightly larger coil and increase delay to 12.5 or even 15 whilst staying with conductivity in ALL.  The hole will shift as you change the ground balance setting. Changing conductivity alters the ground balance point, moving the hole... The Tdi machines have limitations, but we do have room to play with our settings within those limitations. My Tdi loves the beach and it is there that it does its best work but I persist in also using it on the goldfields. 

The goldfields have seen generations of Minelab machines cleaning  up, for me to have half a chance I tend to work around the edges of proven ground. Get into the thick nasty vegetation, think outside of the box. Study the history, areas rushed but forced out by drought and lack of water. Patchy areas that frustrated early prospectors but are ideal for electronic prospectors. If I find gold I go over the ground with the VLF 24K, then the Tdi Pro with smaller and larger coils. I use a fire rake to clean rubbish out of holes so I can get the coil closer to the ground. Going over proven ground with different machines or coils or settings is a way of leaving less gold behind. My idea of a large coil is the 12" Tdi mono, the Miner John Digger 14x8 mono and the largest coil i use the Detech 15x10 mono. The Digger coil being my favourite. 

Pays to remember that whilst technology plays its part,  it does not replace  attitude, technique, research and planning. 

I cannot but admire the advances that technology has made and the performance of the latest PI machines. Love my Tdi but the day will come when it is left hanging on the wall...  

1489357726_large5.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/25/2023 at 2:26 PM, Jim in Idaho said:

"Of course Gen 1 does not have a vernier GB, perhaps because the GB is not to touchy (critical) in finding the quiet GB position. Having not used a SL, I am guessing here."

Actually, the Pro version of the Gen 1 (made for Australian use) has a "fine adjust" control. And, the more GB you dial in, the less sensitive it is. In effect, you are telling your detector to ignore a greater range of signals. The less GB you can use, along with having a stable machine, the better.

Jim

I am taking the TDI out today and will try underbalancing it just a tad (on the counterclockwise side of absolutely quiet during the ground balancing) to see if small targets sound off better.

I am also trying a Bluetooth transmitter attached to the TDI with a pair of low latency Bluetooth headphones to see if it will work to free me from the earphone cord. I would hope there's no EMI generated by the bluetooth transmitter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results:

On the ground balance, located lots of BBs and Bullet fragments, but no really weak targets to see if slightly underbalancing the GB would result in better detecting.

The low-cost ($25) Bluetooth transmitter attached to the headphone jack of the TDI was WONDERFUL, as were the $30 lightweight Bluetooth headphones. "Cutting the cord" was great. And the on-the-ear headphones is safer than over-the-ears headphones as far as hearing ambient noises (like rattlesnakes that are fairly common where I hunt). Obviously will work with any non-Bluetooth Metal Detector

Headset

Bluetooth Adapter

1/4" Headset Jack to 3.5mm Headset Plug Adapter

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 1:44 AM, karelian said:

Closer image of the Razorback coil a 10 x 6 mono that is super light and performs well. Matched to a Tdi Sl this coil makes for a feather weight rig with superb balance.

1490437647_winners3.jpg

Are these coils back in production?

The combination of fires destroying the business and White's departure would seem to indicate that the coils will not go back into production. Used examples on Ebay  are your best option.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I am always on the hunt for a bargain. What I really wanted was a Nugget Finder Evo but I settled for a cheaper used Coiltek 9" Elite. It seems to work well with the Tdi Pro but I'll reserve judgement until I've used it on the goldfields in hot ground. It will be interesting to see how it compared with the Sadie and Detech 8" mono. All the best, more to come soon.

DSCF5802.JPG

DSCF5798.JPG

• Like 4