Tdi Pro Coil Comparison On The Goldfields

karelian

Closer image of the Razorback coil a 10 x 6 mono that is super light and performs well. Matched to a Tdi Sl this coil makes for a feather weight rig with superb balance.

1490437647_winners3.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, karelian said:

Closer image of the Razorback coil a 10 x 6 mono that is super light and performs well. Matched to a Tdi Sl this coil makes for a feather weight rig with superb balance.

1490437647_winners3.jpg

Karelian, I bought a Razorback 10 x 5 this past winter. Have you done any testing on that coil? I'm curious to see how it does, but my local ground is covered with "global warming" this morning.

Jim

• Like 1

Yes the Razorback coil was tested and the results are charted in the opening page of this thread. I thought it did very well as the test results show.

The weight and balance are well complimented by the performance. The shaft connection is at the back making for a very long reach under bushes etc. It is also quite a thin coil so this adds to the appeal. Almost Sadie performance with less weight and a thinner profile. One of Miner John's best in my opinion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, karelian said:

Yes the Razorback coil was tested and the results are charted in the opening page of this thread. I thought it did very well as the test results show.

The weight and balance are well complimented by the performance. The shaft connection is at the back making for a very long reach under bushes etc. It is also quite a thin coil so this adds to the appeal. Almost Sadie performance with less weight and a thinner profile. One of Miner John's best in my opinion.

Many thanks! I hadn't noticed it was in the chart. I'll go back and take a look. If it's close to Sadie performance, I'm going to be glad I bought it. I really like the narrow profile. Great for hunting in the rocks and brush.

Jim

• Like 1

I don't see mine listed. This coil, is black, with a white Razorback label. The label says Razorback....Professional ML Series, and below that "5 x 10".

Jim

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I don't see mine listed. This coil, is black, with a white Razorback label. The label says Razorback....Professional ML Series, and below that "5 x 10".

Jim

Jim, I have one and it's black with a white label. The label says Razorback Professional TDI Mono 5 x 10.

I need to compare it to the JIMMY TDI Dual Field Mono, that I have.

Also, maybe I could send the Razorback coil to you, so you could compare it with the one you have since mine says for TDI and yours says for Minelab?

Jim

2 hours ago, snakejim said:

Jim, I have one and it's black with a white label. The label says Razorback Professional TDI Mono 5 x 10.

I need to compare it to the JIMMY TDI Dual Field Mono, that I have.

Also, maybe I could send the Razorback coil to you, so you could compare it with the one you have since mine says for TDI and yours says for Minelab?

Jim

Jim, before you go that trouble, let's wait and let the snow and ice melt around here, and let me do some testing with this coil. Then that might make an interesting comparison. There must be some electrical difference between them, or why the different labels? Unless it was done just on the ones they eventually exported to the states. Maybe initially they were included in a package deal or something on a GPX 4500, or other, and had the ML label, and then they started the TDI labels for some reason. No way to know. I'll keep you updated, in any case.

Jim 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Jim, before you go that trouble, let's wait and let the snow and ice melt around here, and let me do some testing with this coil. Then that might make an interesting comparison. There must be some electrical difference between them, or why the different labels? Unless it was done just on the ones they eventually exported to the states. Maybe initially they were included in a package deal or something on a GPX 4500, or other, and had the ML label, and then they started the TDI labels for some reason. No way to know. I'll keep you updated, in any case.

Jim 

Jim, that sounds like a plan. Weather is still bad here also.

Best wishes!

Jim

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Jim, There must be some electrical difference between them, or why the different labels? Unless it was done just on the ones they eventually exported to the states. Maybe initially they were included in a package deal or something on a GPX 4500, or other, and had the ML label, and then they started the TDI labels for some reason. No way to know. I'll keep you updated, in any case.

Jim 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:14 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

As to a difference between Razorback Coils marked "TDI" vs "ML," last week I spoke with Miner John who very graciously took a good deal of time educating me on the different coils available for he TDI.

One of the things he mentioned was that he has found that because the ML detectors put out considerably more power (more amperage to the coil), they can easily blow out coils evidently using higher gauge wire, or other components in the TDI coils. He therefore did not recommend using TDI coils on a ML detector.

On the other hand, ML coils like the Sadie work well on the TDI, but since they are designed for the higher power ML, they won't perform as well on a TDI.

Now, I did not specifically ask whether Razorback coils made for ML work as well on TDIs as do the ones specifically made for the TDI. In other words, maybe what allows the  ML coils take the additional power (Different wire of lower resistance could mean more turns to have the same coil impedance?), degrades performance in the TDI?

I am not stating a fact as far as HOW the ML coils can take more power, or whether ML coils are less effective on TDIs than TDI coils of the same make and size. Just conjecture on my part. But he DID say that MLs can blow out TDI coils. I am not sure whether if a coil blows out, it affects the detector output transistors in a ML since the pulse voltage would likely be much higher without the load of an intact coil. Again, I didn't ask him.

He did say that after taking over production of Razorback coils, and after disassembling several, he noted significant design flaws in them, and modified the ones HE produced to eliminate these flaws, so are much better. 

Though he is OUT of the coil building business for now at least (due to the forest fire that took his place), he suggested obtaining newer, improved Razorback Coils with labels including "Miner John" on them, which I guess he made along side Miner John design coils (not sure if he just stopped selling them as Razorback at some point, and continued production as Miner John, but at least SOME Razorbacks have Miner John on them, as do some improved "Jimmie " mono coils which he manufactured for Jimmy Siera for the TDI)

• Like 1

Yes...it's been known for a long time that you can use ML coils on TDI's, but  not the other way around.

Jim