Sign in to follow this  
calabash digger

Head To Head Videos Talk... AT Pro Equinox...

Here is a video trying to explain where I am coming from with the head to head videos. I talk about the AT PRO , Equinox..etc

• Like 9

I see where your coming from. I did a quick test but didn't have a square nail on hand so I used an antique hammer head. Yes the the Pro does become blind on dimes in any of the discrimination modes however you can hear the dime in zero mode but the iron audio is a bit loud and tends to drown it out. That test really showed how far discrimination has come in the newer machines.

Same test I tried my Tejon with a 10x12 coil and I can put that hammer head next to the dime and only hear the dime. I happen to use the Tejon in trashy high iron/aluminum areas here simply because I like the silent search and trim out all the garbage. AT Pro always made it tricky picking through trash and why I had bought the Tejon.

What I would love to see is same test on the Makro CF77. If that is an analog machine it could be a killer relic machine in the right hands :)

• Like 1

The reason I got the equinox had little to do with comparison videos and tons to do with lots of different detectorist that I knew had thousands and thousands of dollars of detectors sitting at home, most costing more than the equinox, seemed to be mostly hunting with the equinox.  It kind of followed a trend. They would get the equinox,  do a couple videos,  bounce back and forth with their prior favorite,  then after a while be mostly or entirely hunting with the equinox.  The same was true for guys hunting beach and fields. The nugget hunters even said good things about it.

It's easy to tell the sponsored folks couse they just never mention the other brands. I have no problem with that,  still like their videos,  but I'm not looking to them to see what the best detector is.

If someone has a paid for ctx, at pro, excalibur,  etc sitting at home collecting dust while they are hunting by choice with a comparatively cheap detector that says something. If the equinox was $2000+ as it usually would have been I'd still be waiting and would have jumped on the simplex if it's well received. I have no desire to own a bunch of detectors,  I just want one that works well enough for anything I choose to hunt anywhere I choose to hunt it. If none of them came along I might have very well ended up eventually with an AT, but clearly I never got excited enough about them to actually buy one. 

• Like 3

I had an old Bounty Hunter from the 90's that had depth just a bit more than something shiny on the surface. I got back into detecting a few years ago and was really amazed how far detectors had come and how confusing the market was with such a wide range of machines. I ended up settling on the AT Pro as it was moderately priced and was water proof. The Max didn't exist nor did the Nox. I found it pretty easy to run and a huge upgrade with buttons and a real display vs 2 knobs and a needle that moved a few seconds away from the target. I quickly outgrew the coin mode and pre-sets, fiddled with custom mode to cut out trash and soon just went to zero mode. The AT found me lot's of good things from sidebone horse shoes to a spanish reale that other friends missed with their whites. Last year I saw a Tejon in a demo section on one the big dealers and asked about the warranty. They checked up with Tesoro and found that they would not cover a demo so the dealer gave me a brand new one for $10 more than the demo. After a week I found a couple nice gold rings and tons and tons of coins old and new, jewelry etc. but also found truckloads of trash learning the machine. I know that Tejon by heart now and by far it is the first machine I choose not that the AT isn't better or worse but rather I like the smoothness of the audio in an analog and the infinite adjustments on discrim gb and threshold.

I keep looking at the vdi's and see videos of them squawking and squeaking (some sound like my dog's toys) and tempted but for now I know even if I bought one I will most likely just take the Tejon out anyways as my hunting style really has changed. In risky weather or if im puddle jumping I'll take the ATP out but for the most part I like the tranquility of silent search. When I run my Tejon i kick the first disc up to just take out the trash up to foil usually and set my other just at ringtab or slightly off depending on ground conditions. There is enough slop in the signals you can catch a scratch to know a marginal target. I hear no iron when possible unless it's big and worthy and quickly id a coin and know what range/type it is. If I want i can cut the 2nd disc back and cherry pick areas for a particular range with an incredible degree of accuracy.

For anyone that does love detecting and likes to have an array of machines it is worth snagging a good analog machine and well worth the time though the learning process can make your arms sore digging at first.

I would have to say that if the Nox was out at the time I certainly would have given it a serious look and who know i may have skipped getting the Tesoro. Likewise if I started with a Tesoro I would have been frustrated and been looking for a vdi.

Calabash you should tell Garrett about that quirk with their discrim, maybe you can test machines for them. Thanks for sharing it.

I have been seeing a lot of NOX for sale lately. Is everyone looking for something new? I have a XP Deus, and it dose every thing I need. I don't go in deep water, it still works for me. I would like to see XP come out with a coil that can hunt more than one frequency at a time.          I asked about it and was told it could happen.

• Like 1

Vanquish coming not sure if that replaces it or not.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, calabash digger said:

Nox and Deus compliment each other.

Yup. Don't we know it, sir.

• Like 1

The one thing I learnt quickly about detecting especially when it came to nugget hunting although I'm sure the same goes for coin hunting and every other forum of detecting is you don't know what you're missing.  You may think your detector is the greatest thing in the universe as you're doing well with it but then someone else can come along with another detector, go over the exact same ground and find targets you missed.  You are completely unaware of this thinking you got it all.

The nail test Calabash is doing is a good demonstration of that very thing, an AT Pro user may completely miss a target as when in the field swing speed is introduced they may blindly walk over targets due to masking and never know.... thinking they cleaned an area out.

I've covered the same ground with multiple detectors and found targets missed by the previous detector.  It most certainly happens and more than most would think I'm sure.  When onto a good thing I often use more than one detector.  An example of this being common place is prospectors hitting an area with their PI/ZED then again with different coils and then again going over it with their VLF to clean up.

Some of these flaws a very skilled operator maybe able to overcome, in this instance with the nail test the AT Pro can find the target if the swing speed and direction are just right, a very skilled operator will know the short comings of their detector and hit sites with multiple angles of attack and various swing speeds.....

I am certain the Equinox misses targets too, It has for me..... just less of them.... that I know of 🙂

• Like 5

The thing about the Equinox is that you can do the very thing you mentioned regarding hitting the site with a variety of detectors as each of the modes behaves very differently plus you have five single frequencies too.  Most other detectors, including the AT series, not so much, that is your ability to do with those vs. what you can do with Equinox is limited.  The key to succes is patience and never assumung you have cleaned a site out.

Edited by Chase Goldman
Typi
  • Like 4