Some Colorado Gold

On 9/7/2019 at 11:41 PM, Glenn in CO said:

The gold specimens pictured were ones that I had found and I was using a GMT with the standard coil. The other gold specimen found was a leaf type variety and my friend was using a NOX 800. The others in the group were not as lucky in finding one. Interesting one of the guys had brought a GPX 4500 and could not detect the wire gold specimen, but all of the others who were using a VLF type detector could detect the wire gold specimen.

Here is another wire gold specimen I found in the past in which I left a little of the host rock and limonite (before and after pictures):

722393584_FS-16(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.9eedee57b7de07389c4fbc38cb3eedec.jpg1948934603_FSF-16(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.708cf7b0b4439542bae6a375fc51f0a9.jpg719535061_FS-16r(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.c4b72ef05c3595e16c4c2d20d5dab7fd.jpg124699330_FSF-16b(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.40adf150754f814cdf512faa60430b1c.jpg

Does anyone know if the Minelab Gold Monster running at 45 kHz can see this wire gold? I did a search on the internet without any positive results.  

Steve H. mentioned it might, Kiwijw showed us some very small gold targets  that the GM found and we know that the GMT at 48 kHz and GB2 at 71 kHz can see the crystalline and porous gold. I'm thinking about targeting some of this CO. gold with a VLF detector and need some input before purchasing a unit. Maybe Gerry McMullen can answer this question with his wire gold specimens.

Bill

• Like 1

Yes, so will your Equinox and GB2. In the place I went, I'd use the EQ800 personally for the VDI capability, but that's just me. My buddy does great with the GB2.

Be careful though, some of these places aren't really the types you can just wander around and detect randomly. There is a reason a lot of people don't post to forums about it and keep it secretive. I had to do a ton of research just to find a few stray polygons of land, and I'm not talking about the kind of basic research most do to go out prospecting in NV or AZ. Some don't bother with that, and that's gonna get them shut down eventually IMO. These spots are too small to handle much attention and there is a lot of money and power around some of them who would prefer you not be there. The sheriff will ticket you for parking while poor at one spot if he sees your truck on the side of the road.

• Like 4

On 9/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, cobill said:

Glenn, 

Glenn Godat brought two large brief cases of his wire gold specimens to our Fort Collins club and everyone was blown away by his amazing finds! Too bad BLM, FS and Leadville closed off those mine tailing dumps because of liability concerns...another detecting area I missed out on.☹️

Any tips on setting up an MXT for detecting wire gold?

Bill

Sorry, I have been out of town and just got back today. In my opinion I would not use a MXT for detecting wire, leaf and crystalline gold. You would have limited success with a MXT because of the lower frequency and would be better off with a higher frequency VLF detector with a frequency of 40 kHz and above. A high frequency VLF detector with some iron discrimination would be a plus if you are working tailing piles. A quality set of headphones are just as important as a good VLF detector and learning to recognize and hear the extremely faint signals as most of this type of gold is going to be very small.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Sorry, I have been out of town and just got back today. In my opinion I would not use a MXT for detecting wire, leaf and crystalline gold. You would have limited success with a MXT because of the lower frequency and would be better off with a higher frequency VLF detector with a frequency of 40 kHz and above. A high frequency VLF detector with some iron discrimination would be a plus if you are working tailing piles. A quality set of headphones are just as important as a good VLF detector and learning to recognize and hear the extremely faint signals as most of this type of gold is going to be very small.

Glenn, 

Well then it's a good thing that I didn't go with my old MXT and found a great deal on the White's 24K with both coils! Read all the reports on this forum from Steve H., Lunk and Jim M.'s input and it looked like the best "fit" for CO wire gold. Hope to see you in the gold fields.:biggrin:

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cobill said:

Glenn, 

Well then it's a good thing that I didn't go with my old MXT and found a great deal on the White's 24K with both coils! Read all the reports on this forum from Steve H., Lunk and Jim M.'s input and it looked like the best "fit" for CO wire gold. Hope to see you in the gold fields.:biggrin:

Bill

The White's 24k sounds like it would be a good choice for the crystalline gold that we detect for. We are accustomed to using the GMT for such a long time with great success it's hard to change and try newer technology. The GMT's we use are body mounts and it make it easier for detecting the steep tailing piles, plus we are not getting any younger. We may try a White's 24k and see if there is a huge difference or not. Good Luck with your new detector!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

The White's 24k sounds like it would be a good choice for the crystalline gold that we detect for. We are accustomed to using the GMT for such a long time with great success it's hard to change and try newer technology. The GMT's we use are body mounts and it make it easier for detecting the steep tailing piles, plus we are not getting any younger. We may try a White's 24k and see if there is a huge difference or not. Good Luck with your new detector!

Glenn, 

Can you provide some pics of your GMT's with body mounts. White's quit making the hip/chest mounts years ago and you either have the Jimmy Sierra GMT's or have made a special mod for your usage. Thanks,

Bill

On 9/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Glenn in CO said:

Dealing with some family issues me, my wife and a group of friends finally made a trip to the central Colorado mountain’s to search for gold specimens on tailing piles that have been productive in the past. Part of the group this was their first time using a detector searching for gold specimens. After a brief overview of the history and different areas to search, we spent some time setting up the different types of detectors to achieve the best results. We then took off in different directions with some partnering up with others for additional instruction. It didn’t take long for the 10,000+ foot altitude to begin taking its toll and the steep terrain limiting the area they wish to search as everyone was cautious for their well-being while detecting. The group detected for three days and four specimens were found.

Here are a few pics showing the wire and leaf gold specimens as found and then cleaned:

549523485_FS-19combo(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.76aadc9c4aa93f09bd40dfb8a15493d3.jpg1858735011_FSF-19combo1(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.20eae786647536f19f631a538570e01f.jpg66817839_FS-19rcombo(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.5532e821c5de395f7d041ba97a40a0f3.jpg286307608_FSF-19rcombo(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.c1d4eb62e3f537112e965f5cfc69dca4.jpg

Close up of the largest gold specimens:

1920736248_FSF-19(1792x1280).thumb.jpg.0d395c7b9da103b0a597fab662649fd6.jpg

Couple of us detecting on the tailing piles:

received_372313093670888.thumb.jpeg.8ebc824a0e24495a8d26d3f8087faaf8.jpeg

Wow, stunning gold, seriously stunning!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cobill said:

Glenn, 

Can you provide some pics of your GMT's with body mounts. White's quit making the hip/chest mounts years ago and you either have the Jimmy Sierra GMT's or have made a special mod for your usage. Thanks,

Bill

I and my wife have the Jimmy Sierra GMT's and our backup Goldmaster 4 is a body mount. Here's a picture of me detecting with the GMT and I'm using a body harness that also holds my Falcon Gold probe that I use for pinpointing.

Here also a link to Steve H.  GMT custom body mount: https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/whites-goldmaster-gmt-rebuild/

snapshot7E.thumb.jpg.5bf2a9694c1a8d14a169c6af8ffb66e5.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful natural gold Glenn.  Love your story and stunning photography too.  As you know I have told many folks and even teach it in our 3 day field classes, there are certain types of gold some machines do not respond.  The density and characteristics of some gold is not ideal for PI technologies. 

Glad you were swinging a VLF and having some Success.

Those are some high dollar finds and well earned too.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1