Some Colorado Gold

I was downhill from Glenn when I found this small Nugget.  Haven't weighed it yet but put in on my watch to take the photo for size comparison.  In the past, I've used my White's MXT and GMT but this was my first outing with the Nox 800 and standard coil.  It was 2" deep and I was using Gold 1, Sensitivity 22, and the factory settings for everything else.  It rang up between 2 and 4 with a very solid signal.   It's tough hunting those steep tailings piles.  I am now scheduled for Hernia Surgery next week!

Small Nuggett.JPG

• Like 8

Amazing find in a tailings pile! You and Glenn have found a very special place in the CO mountains.

Bill

Looks familiar! It is tough hunting, I dislocated my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff falling down what looked like a hydraulic cut there on my first day and had to leave. All I ever found were square nails with my 4500, I was digging them out of solid shale down 8 to 12 inches deep, no idea how they got there but decided the 4500 was pointless there.

Went back two years later with a Fors Core (no backup), and it quit 2 hours into detecting and had to cancel the trip. Ran into another guy detecting there who I saw off in the distance on a big tailing pile, and which turned out to be my buddy and we had a laugh since it's kinda secretive and we both ended up there, and basically on the same hill and same tailing pile on the same day via two completely different paths of discovery.

I'm scared to go back with the GPZ and try again, haven't been back for like 4 years out of sheer superstition. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cobill said:

Hi Glenn, 

I've tried in the past to detect tailing piles near Leadville (now OFF limits to detecting) and south of Fairplay...just found lots of trash! Would love to meet you and take a hike up the hills of our beautiful State.:biggrin:

Bill

The tailing piles near Leadville produced some very nice specimens. John Vivian and Glenn Godat did very well in that area with some outstanding gold and silver specimens.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Glenn

That is some beautiful gold you got .

I see you’re hunting above the tree line . I too have done the same but if you see one small black cloud coming your way best to head for cover. It’s amazing how much lightning comes out of one small cloud.

The claim I was on was above Granite Co. I think the guys first name was Jim and last time I was there he had it up for sale. Because of that he wouldn’t let you detect anymore.

Chuck 

Hi Chuck,

The area we are hunting in sometimes gets an afternoon rain shower every day in the summer. We have been prospecting and detecting there since the mid-1980's and encountered a few lighting and thunderstorms, but usually they are brief and don't last to long. One year I and my wife were up on the mountain side and normal build up clouds started forming and she radio me that it was not looking to good and we should leave. I gave her my usual answer that it will be gone in about 15 minutes and we would be detecting again. Well I guess I was wrong this time because it started to down pour and lighting like we have never seen before. Apparently it had rained 4 inches or more in a hour and the lighting was relentless. She had left to return to where our side by side was parked and was screaming over the radio that she wanted out of there. I was stuck up on the mountain side and was hunkered down because of lighting, rain and hail and I wasn't about to move and become a target for the lighting. We didn't detect again until the following day as we needed a little time to recuperate from that ordeal. Now when we see a storm building, we get off the mountain.

• Oh my! 1

9 hours ago, jasong said:

Looks familiar! It is tough hunting, I dislocated my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff falling down what looked like a hydraulic cut there on my first day and had to leave. All I ever found were square nails with my 4500, I was digging them out of solid shale down 8 to 12 inches deep, no idea how they got there but decided the 4500 was pointless there.

Went back two years later with a Fors Core (no backup), and it quit 2 hours into detecting and had to cancel the trip. Ran into another guy detecting there who I saw off in the distance on a big tailing pile, and which turned out to be my buddy and we had a laugh since it's kinda secretive and we both ended up there, and basically on the same hill and same tailing pile on the same day via two completely different paths of discovery.

I'm scared to go back with the GPZ and try again, haven't been back for like 4 years out of sheer superstition. :biggrin: 

Hi jasong,

For some reason the PI detectors cannot detect the wire and spongy gold specimens very well, but the PI's do ok with the leaf gold specimens. The area were we hunt the ground is somewhat mild, so the VLF's are the detectors that we like to use.

It is small world when you out in the middle of no where and you meet somebody you know.

Glenn

I done a dance with about the same thing. We too seen it coming and I had a two man tent. It was four guys in that little tent and happy to have it .

On top of a mountain above tree line you stand out like a lightning rod. It pays to be safe than sorry.

Chuck 

11 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

The tailing piles near Leadville produced some very nice specimens. John Vivian and Glenn Godat did very well in that area with some outstanding gold and silver specimens.

Glenn, 

Glenn Godat brought two large brief cases of his wire gold specimens to our Fort Collins club and everyone was blown away by his amazing finds! Too bad BLM, FS and Leadville closed off those mine tailing dumps because of liability concerns...another detecting area I missed out on.☹️

Any tips on setting up an MXT for detecting wire gold?

Bill