In Over My Head

TechGuy

Make sure your skimming the ground on that one. Target is small and might just about need to touch it with the coil. Buddy of mine is new and tends to swing is coil couple inches off the ground, drives me crazy hehe.

• Like 1

Fred hit the nail on the head!  A novice should be looking for a club nearby to get involved or find a seasoned hunter who knows what he is doing (possibly Ring Finders).  Good Luck.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 4

On 9/6/2019 at 9:25 PM, TechGuy said:

I am brand new to metal detecting.

TechGuy,

I am also very new to this and have found very valuable information from this group.

In the short amount of time with my new 800 I have been able to find a lot of things I never thought I ever would have.

I give all the credit to the fine people of  this forum.

Several have given you some of the best tips to try to locate your missing item that you want to find and I surely would do as they suggest.

Steve and GB have given you a way to locate what you are looking for and they love taking the time to help if you are willing to help yourself in learning the detector.

Should that fail you could get a black light and search at night and the diamond will give off a prizim effect when the light hits it. I found that at night I could find diamonds better with the light a little easier.

But remember that you must have patience with learning this detector as it will locate things that others will not find.

• Like 1

TechGuy,

1 thing I forgot to mention with the light is that you can't have dew on the ground when you use the light.

I have had luck finding a diamond stud ear ring with my Equinox using Gold 2 and Sensitivity as high as your ground will allow without sending false signals too much.  Use the other ear ring to "Air Test" your machine to see what setting gives you the best response.   

Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:24 PM, fredmason said:

Will we ever know the rest of this story?

Fred,

I hope we hear something back on what happened, did he find it, did he give up, or is it still missing?

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here been dealing with family health issues.

I did do a factory reset on it, and auto balanced it 

I tried the park 2 setting and it would not pick it up at all the gold 2 setting picks it up but the number goes from 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,11  and when i lock in 4 or 5 the detector is like detecting phantom things it will show something is right there, dig, sift through even take any rocks found out run it past and nothing and then check again and now the focus mode shows it several inches away from where it previously showed.

It picks up at the earring at currently between 1 - 1.5 inches at my best guess 

here is the detector running over the earring 

• Like 2

The most sensitive part of the Equinox coils, as well as the place where the most accurate TID will occur, is at the center of the coil.  Thanks for the video.  Don't expect a consistent, repeatable single TID for any medium to small object.  As to whether you open up the entire TID range (to include ferrous region) or keep ferrous discriminated out (as you show on the video) with the horseshoe button isn't obvious to me and I hope experienced micro-jewelry hunters will respond.  But AFAIC you have the abilitiy with the Equionox to find your target.

• Like 1