KMc

Rusty Rock With Fusion Like Crust Meteorite?

I found this rusty looking rock in WI recently. It is heavy and is magnetic. It looks like it may have some small flecks of metal in it. I wanted to make a small window in it with a dremel or other drill to see. Wondering if this could be an iron stone meterorite or if it is some kind of geode? I'd welcome any advice. Thanks much! K

20190908_201450.jpg

20190908_201548.jpg

Not like any meteorite or fusion crust I've ever seen.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nalcomis
      I just received a new to me SDC2300 and wanted to verify it using the Minelab security check on their website. I did not receive the viewer that was originally included with the detector so what worked for me was a coolant leak detector flashlight ( black light or UV light) It works well enough for me to read the hidden code and I was able to verify my machine.

• By GB_Amateur
      I had a couple lead test targets for calibrating in the field but lost them on my last Western expedition.  This is the main reason I don't use gold test targets!  I'm ready to make a new set.  I'd like to hear your advice on what size and shape of lead I should be using, for both LF and PI detectors.

• By Goold
      I apologize to all my weak English
       A few days ago I was on a journey to look for a gpz 700 golden device when I came across a large quartz rock I passed the device on the rock and issued the device indicating a clear target and the device was as follows
       General
       Allergy 9
       I switched the settings to make sure the target was metal and not an imaginary target
       Difficult
       Allergy 2
       .  It also gave me a clear target signal.  I broke the rock into parts and it took me a great effort.  I reached the desired part and the crystal was in the heart of the rock
       Suddenly after I took out the desired part, I broke the piece in half and found that this material resembles mud and strange when I passed the device on the piece after I broke it the target signal disappeared and the device did not make any sound I tried to change the settings but to no avail the device kept silent
       A question.  Do any of you know these crystalline materials
       And what is your interpretation of what happened
      Thanks to all

• By Goldgetter
      So this has been a yard orndimat  for many years and I'm sick of not really knowing what it is. How can one find out what something is and what's its value. Its none magnetic and very heavy for its size.

• By Old Farm Hunter
      PUT tips about metal detecting here
    • By TechGuy
      Hello,

I am brand new to metal detecting. My girlfriend lost one of her grandmothers 1/4 ct diamond earrings, it is set in white gold. She inherited them from her grandmother after she passed so they are very important to her. We think the missing earring is either in the yard or in a parking lot with a lot of loose gravel making it impossible to spot amongst all the debris.  To try to find the earring I just bought a new Minelab Equinox 800. I used the other earring she still has to test the detector. I kept passing the earring by the coil but it doesn't seem to pick up anything, likewise i also tried the earring on the ground in a plastic sandwich bag and got nothing.  I did find other things in the yard tonight like some 1" round metal cap thing with the #2 stamped in it (no idea what it is but it registered between 21 - 24 on the detector) and some dark brown reddish rock that glistens a little in the light so it seems to be working.  I am not sure if I do not have the settings right or if it is the wrong coil or wrong metal detector for what I am trying to do.  

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.