Steve Herschbach

Steve's Nugget Detector Guide Update Sept 2019

Geez I'm doing well, I've got 2 out of 3 of the shortlist.  Almost 3 out of 3 as I've got the GPX 4500 instead of the 5000.  Now I've just got to get better at finding gold in the first place, I can't blame my tools :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to do this list Steve and keep it up to date, I found it extremely valuable when first taking up the hobby and I'm sure many others do too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 2 VLF's, Gold Bug and Whites DFX, so I am happy with both, but there are some really some good ones out out there. If I could have a do over, still the Gold Bug, but I would have purchased the 800. Thanks Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve What about the Nox 800 at 40Khz, 2 weeks ago I got tired of digging up lead shot in the Vic Golden Triangle (OZ) with my 7000 and ended up with the Nox finding an 1853 3d. Then again a friend found a 14gm'er with his 3030 so how far/wide a selection do you go.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, PeterInSa said:

Steve What about the Nox 800 at 40Khz, 2 weeks ago I got tired of digging up lead shot in the Vic Golden Triangle (OZ) with my 7000 and ended up with the Nox finding an 1853 3d. Then again a friend found a 14gm'er with his 3030 so how far/wide a selection do you go.

I’m not sure I understand the question. The Equinox in Multi is more powerful on gold than at 40 kHz single frequency, but single frequencies may work better at alleviating hot rocks or certain types of ground. As far as CTX all metal detectors can find gold. The CTX does well on larger gold but not so well on the tiny bits. If you have detectors in hand then performing your own field test comparisons is the way to go to explore the capabilities of the machines under local conditions.

• Like 4

I like your list of gold detectors and the order Steve.  I still feel it would be good to put the Equinox 800 in there, but I also realize it is not sold as a "Gold Only" detector.

My reasoning is the amount of gold my customers and I are finding with the EQ-800 is astonishing and in a few instances it does it much better than the others, including the Gold Monster 1000.

Yes, the GM-1000 is the most dummy proof of gold detectors and I do recommend and sell it to many new customers who are only after gold.  But for those multi task do it all detecting folks (like me) who hunt old coins/relics, water detect beaches for gold rings and also like prospecting for natural gold, the Equinox 800 can not be beat.

2019 was one of the most traveled years for me with many detecting trips and the EQ-800 was the 1 detector I took, used and had success on all the trips.  Beaches of MX, Old Towns/Camps in NV, OR, ID, WY, UT for artifacts and coins.  A trip to the Amalfi Coast of Italy, Civil War Relics in NC, natural gold nuggets/specimens in NV, OR, ID as well as a trip to Bahamas soon.

To have a detector under $1000 that is 100% waterproof, super light weight, compact, multi purpose use, salt water friendly and software downloadable (2 updates so far with added performance) is astonishing in my 40+ years of detecting.

Now for those folks who only hunt natural gold, the list above that Steve has is spot on in my opinion.

EDIT UPDATE-  I should have actually went to the link and read, as it is mentioned.  Sorry about that Steve.

• Like 4

I agree it should be included on the list just to put it in the range of options for someone trying to pick a first detector that doesn't know much about them and may not consider it otherwise.  A multi purpose detector that performs on par with the gold monster is a very solid choice, and is probably the best choice for someone just starting out nugget detecting and may migrate into other types of detecting anyway.  The guide is mostly there for beginners so it makes tons of sense for it to be there (in my humble opinion).

Edit- I realize it's a slippery slope, but the equinox does seem to be the exception in multi purpose detectors performance wise on gold.

Lol, nevermind, you already did

I got my Nox 800 last December and put some 200-300 hours in. Reading everything I found (some of the stuff is better some you better don't read) watched a ton of youtube episodes (some people obviously don't know what they are doin') and took it to California some 3 weeks ago. Using both the SDC2300 and the Nox 800 I finally found enough square nails and got tired of the trash. I grabbed the Nox 800 looking for solid +1 and +2 signals in Gold 1 /recovery speed 6/ Iron 0 / sensitivity around 18-20 going higher the detector wasn't really stable and Multi using the 6" coil - thank's Gerry for sending it to my friend so it has been waiting for me when I arrived. I know that Gold can show up anywhere even giving no target ID at all but a +1 or +2 I had the feeling reducing my chances of diggin' trash and just having 1 week a year for prospecting (I'm flying in from Germany) I wanted to limit myself to "better" targets. I finally found 2 VERY small specimen. The smaller one showed a +1 the slightly bigger one a +2. At home under the microscope I could see my Nox800 was right. There is gold on 'em. What I want to say is that a metal detector not giving me any idea what is under my coil can be, in some places, no much help at all. I am happy that Gerry opened my eyes while ago to go with new technology and suggested to get me a Nox 800. If I had to have only 1 detector it would be the Nox 800. It finds stuff so darn small I could not believe it and on the other hand I find coins and artefacts with it in Germany. Remember it has 8 programs to choose from. You purchase basically 8 detectors in 1 but you need to accept that the learning curve is not as steep as with a Gold Monster. If you put your time in you will have lots of fun with your machine. The machine gives the operator full control - means with help from Steve I am able to battle real bad EMI which caused me bad headaches in some places closeby where I live. Even real hot ground I experienced with my Whites GMT 2 years ago (I could not get it to work) was manageable with the Nox800 this year. If you are new to the hoppy listen to the guys who know will pay off for you!

The Equinox 800 is in the report / list and has been since the Equinox came out so I have no idea what you all are taking about. I guess I am mainly curious about how you are missing it? As far as liking the Equinox... you are late to that party Gerry! :laugh: Don’t forget I am Fan Club Member #1!

Are you just reading my update synopsis notes above and not the full report?

Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1