Sign in to follow this  
Goldgetter

How To Tell If Its A Meteorite

So this has been a yard orndimat  for many years and I'm sick of not really knowing what it is. How can one find out what something is and what's its value. Its none magnetic and very heavy for its size.

20190911_191309.jpg

20190911_191253.jpg

20190911_191237.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a bit skeptical of it being a meteorite, but it is hard to tell from photos.  Iron meteorites have a rusty coating and of course respond to a magnet with a loud clank!  Stoney meteorites are usually coated with a black crust.  Inside they are often granular, a bit like granite, or composed of dark green olivine.  It's an odd shape for a meteorite lacking aerodynamic qualities.  Looks a bit like a petrified pregnant rock troll.  :  )

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      The last few months I haven't been out nugget hunting.  I've been on the beach and a couple of parks.  My posts have been in the jewelry forum.
      It was time to tumble those coins and clean them up for use and maybe see if there was a missed silver.  I have 'limited' shelf space to keep things and I sometimes just pour things together waiting for a time to tumble.  Last night before I went to sleep I did my 3rd tumble and just dumped a cup of stuff into it and got up this morning to take a look and dry the coins.  Well I had stuck in a few crusty pieces of jewelry and a couple of odd finds that were not iron.  I don't remember where I got them or when. 
      After I saw the result of the tumbling I was amazed at one of the pieces.  The weight is 12.8 g and I went and air tested it on my Nox and it says 11.  Neither of these things jogs my memory as to where I got it.  I do know I had saved this piece and a couple of other 'hot rocks' that were odd to me and they weren't magnetic.  There is a 'chance' even that I got this nugget on a beach and that was the reason it has the green color.  I just don't recall and I don't think I took a picture of it with my 'finds of the day' which I often times do.  I would rush out to my coin dealer with an XRF gun and get the analysis but I think they are closed because of the pandemic.
      When I picked it out of the coins (after 5 hours) this morning and saw the polished parts and then still the other parts holding the green I was reminded of both gold and copper.  I think it may be mostly copper and didn't polish more because it is hard but I also think the density is greater than just copper.
      What are your thoughts on the mystery nugget?  I've included different angles.  Don't restrict your thinking to just beach finds.  This could also and I think more probable that it is a desert find that I saved but the corrosion ...

• By Nevada Brian
      Greetings,
      Today was my first time relic hunting and I really enjoyed it. A tip from my neighbor led me to an area that was frequented by prospectors. I wasn’t sure what I would find today, maybe a stash of $20 gold coins or perhaps something more modern.  Well of course my first target was a bullet, then the casing and of course square nails.  It wasn’t until I detected under a tree that I got a booming iron grunt.  Since I knew it would be deep, I decided to dig.   After about a foot down I could see the iron staining from the target.  I knew I was getting close so I slowed down on my digging.  The iron staining is a great indicator of where the target lies.  Once out of the hole, I was optimistic that I had found something special, at least I hoped, but what was it.  After about 10 minutes of staring at this item, I decided it was very cool and I would figure it out later, because I had no idea what it was. 

Once home, I cleaned it up and I could see writing on it. It appears to say patented July 17, 1849.  I searched the internet but found no useful information.  I have pictures of the item below and I’m hopeful that someone on this forum will be able to identify it or provide some ideas.
      Thank you,
      Brian  

• By pepeli ridge
      found on top of a ridge, upto 1 meter wide, most with a hole in the middle. 

cheers
      Paul

• By Node
      Found In southern WI.  Weird one due to the difference between the outside and window cut. Looks like there is some volcanic crust on the outside but a lot of it looks to be weathered away.
      Last Closeup pic of the outside is not color correct due to the lighting used.  

Any help with its ID is surely welcome.

• By Jim in Idaho
      I was down in northern Nevada this week for some nugget hunting. All I found were two large, what appears to be, copper nuggets. But, the interior color is more silvery, or gray, than copper-colored. The nuggets I found last fall down there looked like a bright penny on the interior. These two have a black skin on the outside, and when filed away it shows a metallic gray. No attraction to a super magnet. They were both down about 10", and the small one was under a large rock. They were about 300 yards apart in the same drywash. The exposed metal leaves a coppery streak. The black skin leaves a dark gray, or nearly black streak. No way to get a specific gravity...my gem scale doesn't go high enough. Both were found the same morning with my TDI SL, with MJ 8 x12 FM. Weak, but repeatable signal. had to drag a 16" rock off the small one. Appreciate any help.
      Jim

• By TreasureHunter5
      I found this in my yard today. It looks like cooper or brass and has threads on the bottom.