Vanquish - Now We Know!

minelab-vanquish-metal-detector.jpg

OK - so the big reveal has occurred and now it is time to start discussing what we know, what we don't, what we want to know (Equinox cross compatibility), the good, the bad, the ugly (definitely ugly) of the new Vanquish series.

Here is the link to the specs.   From there you can deep dive into each model and get more information.

Some interesting tidbits about the 540 (I will focus on the 540 because it the full up model that is most comparable to Equinox).

What I like: 

• The standard/accessory coils look great, hoping for Equinox cross compatibility (V12 12" x 9" Double-D, V10 10" x 7" Double-D, V8 8" x 5" Double-D)
  • Not a big fan of the housing but like the stem
  • Good basic entry level detector.  If you consider that two coils and wireless phones are included on the 540 pro pack, then the $499 US seems reasonable.
  • Like thd red backlight.

What I don't like:

• While I understand this is entry level, I really struggle with some of what is left off the detector -specifically single frequency operation appears to be absent.
  • Iron Bias - fine, I guess, except you can't turn it off.  Would have rather seen variable recovery speed, which also appears absent.
  • 5 Tones only (cannot be reduced to 2 or 3, or increased above 5 and tone breaks are probably not adjustable either).  I can live without greater than 5 tones, but locking into 5 and not being able to reduce to 3 or 2 is a tad disappointing.

Questions and other Tidbits

• It looks like ground balancing is automatic Multi IQ compensation (not auto tracking, but auto Multi IQ balanced - i.e., what you get when you leave GB at 0 on the Equinox).  Speculating here.
  • Don't know what "Custom" search mode means because there is not much you can adjust.
  • Not clear what audio accessories are included with the 540/540 Pro other than non-descript wireless headphones are included with the 540 pro.
  • Note only 25 disc segments, so individual TIDs cannot be notched out.
  • 540 Uses Rechargeable NiMH AA batteries.  Not sure if they can be charged while installed or if they have to be charged externally.  340/440 use standard alkaline cells though I suppose you could put your own NiMH cells in there.
  • Kellyco is advertising "Early 2020" availability and the following price points V340 = $199, V440 = $279, V540 = $369, and V540 Pro Pack (includes V8 and V12 coils and BT APTX LL Phones) = $499.  I think the V440 most closely aligns with Simplex but lacks the wireless audio and total submersibility of the Simplex.  Simplex lacks Multi Frequency.  Pick your poison.
  • Note that the coils are waterproof to only "1 m (3 ft.)"  Not sure whether this is because the entire detector cannot be submerged (the housing needs a rain cover) so there is no need to specify anything greater or if the coils truly cannot be submerged deeper than 1 m, which would limit their usefulness as underwater coils with the Equinox, if they are even compatible in the first place.

The limitations, though expected, really make the Equinox 600 look like a CTX vs.even the 540.  Lol.

More to come when I have a chance to provide a more detailed comparison of features between the Equinox 600 and the Simplex.

Click on image below for larger version...

minelab-vanquish-specifications-chart.jpg

Minelab Vanquish Controls & Displays All Models

minelab-vanquish-search-coils.jpg

Minelab Vanquish 340 Detector Database Entry

Minelab Vanquish 440 Detector Database Entry

Minelab Vanquish 540 Detector Database Entry

• Like 3

Is it fair to say that, assuming the waterproofing issue can be taken care of, this is a solid salt water beach detector?

EDIT: Based on my research, it will be. I'm curious as to how it will compare to the Equinox, though, at salt water beaches.

21 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Is it fair to say that, assuming the waterproofing issue can be taken care of, this is a solid salt water beach detector?

EDIT: Based on my research, it will be. I'm curious as to how it will compare to the Equinox, though, at salt water beaches.

Well, for some reason, ML did not provide a dedicated beach mode designation so that is NOT a good start (along with the lack of the waterproof housing).  Theoretically, there should be a mode (perhaps Jewelry) that should work on wet salt sand.  Note that with the Equinox, only the Beach modes are stable on wet salt sand.  So hopefully, there is a stable beach mode setting on Vanquish.  That being said, there are a LOT of missing features on Vanquish even if there is a stable mode.  Lack of adjustable or tracking ground balance and auto transmit power reduction (both Equinox features) will make Vanquish struggle in black sand and surf situations where the salt and ground balance conditions change dynamically.  Lack of the ability customize tones (even just reduce tones to 3 or 2 from 5) is also a drawback.  Finally, wet salt beach conditions are highly variable and the ability to manually "bias" recovery speed and ground balance settings are advantageous.  Neither of these options are available to the Vanquish user.  Under ideal conditions, it should be a stable wet salt beach detector but it will be at the mercy of changing conditions.  With the lack of waterproofing a literal show stopper, it really makes sense to move up to the Equinox 600 if you want a capable wet salt beach detector. IMO.

• Like 1

I like and i dont like .

I like it is multi frequency . I like the stem , though would prefer straight stem.

I like the coils .

But ,

I dont like the colour . Though the cover is black , why not the box?

I dont like 1/8 inch socket for headphones , and Bluetooth gets interference in high electrical areas on my beaches . I used my Nox 2 weeks ago on a field with pylons and the only way to stop the noise was to put into single frequency , I thought they were obsolete ! . I have heard of issues with the Bluetooth headphones on the Vanquish disconnecting with the machine , that happens on my beaches with the Nox . Is there a module ? If not then can we plug in adapters for our own headphones ?

There doesn't appear to be many settings and as said above the segments might be too few , fewer than the Terra 705 ? And will the coins be all in one small area like they are on the Nox ? Except for the Pound/2 Pound coins . 

There are other things to do with settings but they have been mentioned above .

On the whole , i still want to see one . But for me i can see it not being what i want . Something my dealer said to me when we first heard about a new machine coming . 

There are other machines coming too , i have heard of the Simplex as we all have . I have heard of a new Nokta/ Makro multi frequency but is that true ? And now i have seen a video about a new C. Scope called the Evo 6000 . That will be interesting , they haven't brought anything new out in Donkey's years . And the Evo in the video was seen in the surf ! Single or multi freq ?

Looks like 2020 might be an interesting year for detectors !

• Like 1

I’m always for the underdog so I think I’ll order one plus the Simplex. It’s a great day when you can buy two for less than what I’ve paid for one .

Chuck 

• Like 5

Well if you dig a little deeper on the info. Minelab say this. 

No matter what you seek, VANQUISH has you covered. Simply select one of the four Find Modes — Coin, Relic, Jewellery, or All Metal — then start swinging. Each mode is pre-programmed and optimised to give you the best performance, anytime and anywhere: park, field or beach. You can even save your favourite settings to a custom Find Mode. 

VANQUISH welcomes tough terrain. It dominates at the beach in wet sand and salt water, outperforming other detectors that can’t compete. 25 discrimination segments deliver ultimate control over what metals you want to accept or reject.

And next to that statement. Is a picture of a ring (Jewellery) mode) and a beach.  So it's pretty obvious, well to me anyway. That the Jewellery Mode is the one for beaches. After all that is what most people search for on beaches. I note jewellery mode is on all the Vanquish models. I highly doubt Minelab would describe them as Beach friendly, and wet sand friendly if they weren't. To what degree, really won't be known until they actually hit the market.

Cheers Trev (NZ).

Phrunt,

Have you put in an order?

Mitchel

• Like 1

I think I will stay with the E.Trac and Nox . The Vanquish is not going to beat them. Will keep an eye on it through.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trev (NZ) said:

Well if you dig a little deeper on the info. Minelab say this. 

No matter what you seek, VANQUISH has you covered. Simply select one of the four Find Modes — Coin, Relic, Jewellery, or All Metal — then start swinging. Each mode is pre-programmed and optimised to give you the best performance, anytime and anywhere: park, field or beach. You can even save your favourite settings to a custom Find Mode. 

VANQUISH welcomes tough terrain. It dominates at the beach in wet sand and salt water, outperforming other detectors that can’t compete. 25 discrimination segments deliver ultimate control over what metals you want to accept or reject.

And next to that statement. Is a picture of a ring (Jewellery) mode) and a beach.  So it's pretty obvious, well to me anyway. That the Jewellery Mode is the one for beaches. After all that is what most people search for on beaches. I note jewellery mode is on all the Vanquish models. I highly doubt Minelab would describe them as Beach friendly, and wet sand friendly if they weren't. To what degree, really won't be known until they actually hit the market.

Cheers Trev (NZ).

That is why I said in my post above that theoretically the beach mode is likely jewelry mode.  But if this is an entry level detector, spelling it out for folks explicitly would be best whether than playing the guessing game.  There are non-beach multi IQ modes on the Equinox that simply will not work in a stable manner on wet salt sand.  

At this point, you are correct, we won't know any more until we see some real world user reviews and ee are likely months away from that, unfortunately.