Vanquish - Now We Know!

I don't like it, they put the multi-iq in the car with the brake applied.

• Like 1

Thats ridiculous. All i want is what frequencies are running . The Nox has 5 , 10 , 15 , 20 , 40 . 

Whats the problem with knowing what ones the Vanquish has ? 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, Nuke em said:

Thats ridiculous. All i want is what frequencies are running . The Nox has 5 , 10 , 15 , 20 , 40 . 

You are not alone in your common misconception regarding the frequency components of Multi IQ.

Those are the single frequency selections for the Equinox 800.  No more, no less and do not necessarily have anything to do with Multi IQ.  It has been shown through spectrum analysis of the coil transmitted output, that those frequencies likely do not correspond to the frequencies that are transmitted during Multi IQ operation.  It looks like probably only two frequencies are transmitted simultaneously during Multi IQ operation, and neither of those appear to correspond to any of the above frequencies.

See this thread for more info and links to other related threads.  The issue is complex and ML has not been transparent about the nature of Multi IQ likely to protect their intellectual property (which conveniently enables them to be vague about the specifics).  They have also caused confusion and propagated the 5-frequency Multi IQ mythos through pseudo technical jargon and diagrams that appear to conflate the above single frequency settings with their Multi IQ spectrum cartoon diagrams.  As a result, the issue of frequencies that comprise Multi IQ is pure conjecture.  IOW - no one but ML knows the answer and ML is not saying.

Additional Comment:  BTW - the above is not a complaint about ML, just trying to explain why some of the supplemental information and diagrams that ML has put out on Multi IQ seems to constantly confuse people on this whole frequency thing.  As others have said before and after this post, the components and secret sauce of Multi IQ with respect to the frequency spectrum range, number of frequencies used, etc. is 1) purely subject to speculation since ML is protecting that information and 2) really doesn't matter.  Multi IQ works effectively and especially with the features and adjustments available on the Equinox platform and I suspect it will work very well for the entry level detectorist even with the limited settings available on the Vanquish platform.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuke em said:

Whats the problem with knowing what ones the Vanquish has ? 

Which of those frequencies are used for the Nox's MF modes?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

You are not alone in your common misconception regarding the frequency components of Multi IQ.

Those are the single frequency selections for the Equinox 800.  No more, no less and do not necessarily have anything to do with Multi IQ.  It has been shown through spectrum analysis of the coil transmitted output, that those frequencies likely do not correspond to the frequencies that are transmitted during Multi IQ operation.  It looks like probably only two frequencies are transmitted simultaneously during Multi IQ operation, and neither of those appear to correspond to any of the above frequencies.

See this thread for more info and links to other related threads.  The issue is complex and ML has not been transparent about the nature of Multi IQ likely to protect their intellectual property (which conveniently enables them to be vague about the specifics).  They have also caused confusion and propagated the 5-frequency Multi IQ mythos through pseudo technical jargon and diagrams that appear to conflate the above single frequency settings with their Multi IQ spectrum cartoon diagrams.  As a result, the issue of frequencies that comprise Multi IQ is pure conjecture.  IOW - no one but ML knows the answer and ML is not saying.

That is the same as I have heard about FBS. 2 at a time. Might as well stay with ET.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuke em said:

That is the same as I have heard about FBS. 2 at a time. Might as well stay with ET.

First of all, I agree you should stick with he ET (AND the Equinox) not because of the number of frequencies used but because the Vanquish is indeed RED (:biggrin:) and was intentionally designed to be low cost.  That means that even though it does use Multi IQ, a lot of the other settings/features that help to enhance Multi IQ on the Equinox platform are missing from Vanquish, including ground balance, variable recovery speed, tone customizations, and the number and sophistication of the various search profiles, especially beach mode capabilities (auto transmit power reduction in the presence of detected black sand and Salt Balance tracking) to name a few.  Bottom line, for Equinox users, unless you are using the Vanquish as a bare bones backup detector or as a simple to use, inexpensive loaner you can allow a friend or family manner to borrow, it makes no sense to pick up a Vanquish because it doesn't appear to be able to do anything your Equinox cannot already do. The coil selection is interesting especially if they turn out to be cross compatible with Equinox (but something makes me doubt they will be).  The Vanquish is a cost effective and capable ENTRY LEVEL detector or loaner, or emergency backup unit.

Regarding BBS vs. FBS vs. Multi IQ - A LOT of folks seem to get wrapped up in the issue of how many frequencies are simultaneously transmitted with the implication that more is better.  Geotech explains in this post, why more is not necessary better (it has to do with how much power is needed to be produced by the detector) and even Minelab argues that the fewer frequencies simultaneously TRANSMITTED the better as discussed in this comprehensive Multi IQ explanation article.  This does not mean you are limited to the two frequencies that are actually transmitted, because, as also described in the linked Multi IQ article, the transmitted frequencies are combined to create a frequency spectrum that enables different metals to be excited differently by the detector and subsequently detected through sophisticated signal processing algorithms.  Varying the transmitted spectrum and the signal processing used in target detection is the heart of what Multi IQ does and is also what defines each of the individual search profiles.  Regarding BBS/FBS, again whether it transmits and combines 2 or more frequencies is really beside the point and that fact alone does not define whether BBS/FBS is better or worse than Multi IQ.  This is an apples to oranges comparison/debate that really has little constructive merit.  Suffice to say that ML appears to not vary FBS frequency spectrums to create mode/target optimizations like Multi IQ.  The strength of the FBS detectors lies mainly in the benefits that multifrequency brings to the table in general regarding its inherent ability to provide strong detection of a wide variety of targets spanninga range of conductivities and the ability to use multiple frequencies to cancel the salt signal in salt beach/water and alkaline soil environments.  The other strength of the FBS2 detectors is the sophisticated "two-dimensional" target identification (Ferrous and Conductivity target ID components) and sophisticated discrimination "mapping" that can be applied in the search profiles.

HTH

If you are looking at the Garrett Ace series the Vanquish is clearly intended to compete directly with them. If you think in marketing terms it’s all about price points. Three Ace price points, three Vanquish price points. Comparisons to higher priced detectors, while interesting, miss the intended product goal and are in any case not an apple to apple comparison. Other competition of note would be the new Simplex and of course the appropriate First Texas models based, again, on price points.

As far as frequency goes it’s just a number in a catalog and a marketing hook. Machines either perform or they don’t, regardless of claimed frequencies. Vanquish either outperforms the Ace series or it does not, and Minelab would look quite foolish if they did not. I would however bet on a clear advantage on the wet salt sand or wading in saltwater versus single frequency units. Despite not being waterproof this machine will no doubt please anyone looking for a non-submersible beach detector at a low price.

Not my cup of tea however so that’s about all I have to say about Vanquish. When an Equinox alternative appears I will perk up, until then I have some detecting to do! :smile:

• Like 3